Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Because passwords are generally made less secure by the mere act of committing them to paper, where I can receive a 128 bit encrypted message in my email.

Encryption can always be cracked with enough criminal energy. And it is never certain to have been 100 per cent deleted as data can be recovered.

If you put it on paper, you look at it twice, shred or burn the paper, and it never existed.

Encryption can always be cracked with enough criminal energy. And it is never certain to have been 100 per cent deleted as data can be recovered.

If you put it on paper, you look at it twice, shred or burn the paper, and it never existed.
And what happens if someone else opens your mail?

Last edited:
And what happens if someone else opens you mail?

Dear diary,

it seems they've been opening my mail again. They seem to have rather uncanny technologies, since the envelope is always re-sealed perfectly. It's the little clues, really - a female blonde hair in the envelope that has no business being there, that the paper sometimes feels re-folded in a slightly different way as I unfold it... what's worse, dear diary, it seems I can't quite trust even
you. Just last week I've written here that the envelope is always perfectly sealed shut, that it's maybe too perfect. Today an envelope came which had this most peculiar imperfection at the seal. I could swear it seemed like someone has been very careful to make a "mistake", when re-sealing it. Well, it's probably nothing. See you tomorrow. Always yours

Philip Kindred Dick

And what happens if someone else opens you mail?

People notice. People usually don't notice when an encrypted communication is being hacked. There is never 100 per cent security, but I would prefer the option where I know that something happened.

People notice. People usually don't notice when an encrypted communication is being hacked. There is never 100 per cent security, but I would prefer the option where I know that something happened.
I'm not being rude, but you're being incredibly naive here. It's incredibly easy to steal someone's identity using paper based information without them noticing. I speak from experience here. You don't always notice. You're not in a position to notice.

I know what you mean, but I'm talking about the very specific case LC mentioned. If I got a letter that somebody opened, I will notice. If anything, it will not be in the proper envelope, with a wrong or fishy post stamp or something, and I can inform my provider. It might not even arrive, which is an even greater alarm bell. If somebody hacked my encrypted email, I will never know.

Back