Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

I didn't get AMOLAD the first five or so listens. I remember (as this was the first Maiden record I got on the day of the release), thinking "is this it? Well that was... Okay I guess" after the first listen.

By contrast, when I first picked up AMOLAD (several years after its release, btw) I couldn't put it down. One of the few albums I've ever listened to repeatedly in full. The novelty has worn off slightly now, though. For some reason, I don't have the inclination to listen to just one or two songs from it as I do with other albums. TFF was the album that took a long time to grow on me.

By contrast, when I first picked up AMOLAD (several years after its release, btw) I couldn't put it down. One of the few albums I've ever listened to repeatedly in full. The novelty has worn off slightly now, though. For some reason, I don't have the inclination to listen to just one or two songs from it as I do with other albums. TFF was the album that took a long time to grow on me.
TFF is yet to grow on me. I like bits and pieces, but it is one of the weaker Maiden albums in my book.

AMOLAD however, is as you said, an album that really flows. Only filler is "The Pilgrim" which I usually skip.

Oh. I like The Pilgrim. If I do pick out individual songs from AMOLAD to listen to, it'll be Brighter Than A Thousand Suns and The Pilgrim. I sadly neglect the others.

For me, only the first three songs on AMOLAD clicked instantly. The rest took more time to grow on me, whereas Different World grew "off" to some extent (I still think it's a good song, though).

Reactions: Yax
Oh. I like The Pilgrim. If I do pick out individual songs from AMOLAD to listen to, it'll be Brighter Than A Thousand Suns and The Pilgrim. I sadly neglect the others.
I usually go for BTATS and The Longest Day, Different World or Out Of The Shadows.

I remember that after it came out, AMOLAD was on rotation for two or three months, non stop. I literally didn't listen to anything else at the time. As for TFF... well, it was just one month.

As a start-to-finish listening experience, I find AMOLAD the best of the albums from the recent albums and the best since Seventh Son. BNW drags on for a bit, DoD and TFF are simply less consistent than AMOLAD.

A combination. The weak points of the album are still strong, and I think the album also flows very well. DoD has some songs that simply don't satisfy me that much (Wildest Dreams, New Frontier, Age of Innocence) and on TFF I don't think the songs flow that well together.

I've a feeling it's that flow that's worked against AMOLAD for me. I tend to look at it in terms of a full album and lose sight of individual songs.

I remember that after it came out, AMOLAD was on rotation for two or three months, non stop. I literally didn't listen to anything else at the time. As for TFF... well, it was just one month.

Same thing happened for me. AMOLAD was on rotation for months on end, TFF was on rotation for about a month. DoD was on rotation less than any of them as a full album, but far more than TFF for specific tracks. BNW was on constant rotation for about two years.

Back