Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

And that's the thing, once a single drops or reviews start pouring in that thread will get itself back on track. At least for a few days. :p

That's so hard to enforce though. Personally I don't think it's a big deal. For better or worse, threads are naturally going to take different twists and turns, especially with the new album craziness. Just let it happen and the place will calm down soon enough.
I take issue with forums modded too strictly. Forcing posters to always stay on topic inhibits the conversation, period. And what good is a forum without conversation?

We've gotten a lot better. A year ago, every on-topic thread we had no matter how serious would descend into excessive silliness at some point. We might have been throwing a collective tantrum because of the lack of a new Maiden album.

I guess most new members don't realise the meaning this thread has on this board.

I'm not sure it's because they don't realise that. I can tell you my experience - it took me a long time to start posting here. This thread feels like the forum's party - people know each other, drink, and talk crap, as Brigs put it, and to me, as a new member, if felt like if I joined the party without knowing anyone, people would stare, nudge each other, and think of me as an intruder. So I guess most new members just wait till they have established their presence here, mostly in the Maiden Chat, before they join the party.

I'm not sure it's because they don't realise that. I can tell you my experience - it took me a long time to start posting here. This thread feels like the forum's party - people know each other, drink, and talk crap, as Brigs put it, and to me, as a new member, if felt like if I joined the party without knowing anyone, people would stare, nudge each other, and think of me as an intruder. So I guess most new members just wait till they have established their presence here, mostly in the Maiden Chat, before they join the party.
This was true in 2003 when I joined, and it is true now.

So what do we do about that?
We could start linking people to it when they first show up, saying that "the best way to invest in the forum is to participate in this thread". Assuming we want the status quo to change.

Back