Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

I spent the last three hours watching bad auditions from singing competitions. Not the most productive thing to do, but it sure as hell is fun.

Biggest contrast in quality between two successive Maiden songs? Fear of the Dark has got two pairs that are good candidates.

Both #3 and #12 on the album are great songs. #4 and #11, not so much ...

For some reason I don't think "New Frontier" is nowhere close to "Weekend Warrior", which features Raspy Bruce at his absolute worst. I like Paschendale more than Fear of the Dark, but the difference is smaller than NF vs WW.

If we go by original releases, Gangland vs Hallowed Be Thy Name becomes another great candidate.

:o

Both The Talisman and No More Lies are songs I enjoy (although I hold Starblind and Rainmaker as better songs), so neither of these crossed my mind. In fact, I think the low points post FOTD have been pretty high - save for the atrocious chorus repetition on TAATG and Don't Look (mind you, repeated-many-times chorus, not repetitive chorus).

Another pair I expect to see mentioned (but which I wouldn't consider myself) is The Trooper and its successor. And maybe also Deja Vu and ATG, ,although personally I rate Deja Vu as a pretty good song.

For some reason I don't think "New Frontier" is nowhere close to "Weekend Warrior"
"Gates of Tomorrow" and "New Frontier" are two of my least favourite Maiden songs, so "Paschendale" is a breath of fresh air for me. With Fear of the Dark, so much of the album is below par, and so little is great, that it all turns into a long blend of mediocrity.

The lyrics...

"Hey guys, how about we make a list of all these cool complicated words, then put them all in this song without any meaning or order?"

Biggest contrast in quality between two successive Maiden songs? Fear of the Dark has got two pairs that are good candidates.

I think Weekend Warrior/Fear of the Dark would be my choice. WW is just so awful, and FotD is an amazing classic.

If we go by original releases, Gangland vs Hallowed Be Thy Name becomes another great candidate.

This is the same situation as above, but maybe even better. I'd argue that Gangland is a better song than Weekend Warrior, but Hallowed is also a better song than FotD.

Some other thoughts:

Murders in the Rue Morgue/Another Life
Invaders/Children of the Damned
Futureal/The Angel and the Gambler

Two that haven't been mentioned:
Afraid to Shoot Strangers/Fear is the Key
Sea of Madness/Heaven Can Wait

Back