Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

God, that list is bad.

1: Metallica should not be below Slayer. In fact, dare I say it, Metallica should be #1 or #2.
2: Pantera is way too high.
3: No Queensryche, DT or Venom? Seriously? I also think Nightwish needed a mention considering their popularity.
4: Cannibal Corpse. No.
5: Meshuggah is also a no, but not as much as CC.
1: I prefer Slayer over Metallica, way more consistent in terms of albums and also tighter live.
2: Yep.
3: With all due respect to Operation: Mindcrime, Queensrÿche has sucked for over two thirds of their career :P MetalSucks doesn't really cover bands like DT and Nightwish. And Venom sucks.
4: Like them or not, they are still the most popular death metal band.
5: Meshuggah is cool and also very influential.

My points:
Lamb Of God shouldn't be in the list, and Sepultura is way too high. I mean, I get their inclusion... but I don't like them.

1: Metallica were THE driving force of metal for quite some time and even to this day are probably more popular than Sabbath or Maiden. Sure they had a shaky seven year album track record, but that shouldn't take away from the classic 80's albums or the success of the Black Album. Slayer are probably 6th for me personally, I'd rank Priest and Megadeth over them myself.
3: But when they got it right, they got it damn right. You can't deny that, and Mindcrime is a metal classic for good reason. At The Gates made the list and SOTS is probably their only classic record.
Also, Venom and Mercyful Fate essentially created Black Metal.
4: Death is/was way more popular. Death were placed well, but Cannibal Corpse should honestly be in the 40's at best.
5: Meshuggah aren't as influential as you might think. They're a decent band though.

Sepultura is way too high I agree. I think Lamb deserves to be on the list though, although it's shaky.

Nightwish isn't metal.
What is it then?

1: Metallica were THE driving force of metal for quite some time and even to this day are probably more popular than Sabbath or Maiden. Sure they had a shaky seven year album track record, but that shouldn't take away from the classic 80's albums or the success of the Black Album. Slayer are probably 6th for me personally, I'd rank Priest and Megadeth over them myself.
3: But when they got it right, they got it damn right. You can't deny that, and Mindcrime is a metal classic for good reason. At The Gates made the list and SOTS is probably their only classic record.
Also, Venom and Mercyful Fate essentially created Black Metal.
4: Death is/was way more popular. Death were placed well, but Cannibal Corpse should honestly be in the 40's at best.
5: Meshuggah aren't as influential as you might think. They're a decent band though.

Sepultura is way too high I agree. I think Lamb deserves to be on the list though, although it's shaky.
1: Slayer is just better IMO, but I wouldn't complain if Metallica was #1 simply because they are by far most popular metal band. Just a matter of taste...
3: Just because an album is great, doesn't mean the band is. Consistency has to be taken into account. QR has 3 great albums, 2 average and 9 that suck (8 if you discount Tateryche's only album). Venom was influential, but only the first 3 albums are influential and the rest is average at best. Mercyful Fate on the other hand is amazing, although I prefer King Diamond's solo career.
4: Death was more popular. Sad that Chuck died and that Death ceased to exist, but CC is way more popular nowadays.
5: Iryo :P

Well, they're cute I guess...

Haven't heard anything from them that made me want to headbang though!

I mean, they are like Lordi :p Catchy pop songs wrapped in a bit of heavy synth.

Meshuggah is extremely influential. The whole recent djent movement that has come about totally comes from them, to give just one example.

And to deny Nightwish's status as a Metal band is laughable..

You can't really prove a point with one song. I could post Journeyman and say Iron Maiden isn't metal.

Nightwish has a few poppy rock songs, but majority of their songs are pure metal.

Even that song is pretty metal. Has the heavy guitars, drums, the symphonic metal elements. I'm not really sure where the confusion is.

Meshuggah is extremely influential. The whole recent djent movement that has come about totally comes from them, to give just one example.

That's not something to take pride in, though. Both Meshuggah and djent genre are pure garbage.

By the way, since when were pop and metal mutually exclusive? There has always been Metal with pop appeal. Hell, most 80s metal was poppy. I'm not sure why Nightwish is any less Metal than Poison or Motley Crue. Or Judas Priest's Turbo.

3: Just because an album is great, doesn't mean the band is. Consistency has to be taken into account. QR has 3 great albums, 2 average and 9 that suck (8 if you discount Tateryche's only album). Venom was influential, but only the first 3 albums are influential and the rest is average at best. Mercyful Fate on the other hand is amazing, although I prefer King Diamond's solo career.
4: Death was more popular. Sad that Chuck died and that Death ceased to exist, but CC is way more popular nowadays.

3: Mindcrime isn't just great, it's a definitive metal album. I also like Empire a lot too, and some of their other stuff is solid here and there.

And I'd argue Venom created black metal. MF took the ball and rode with it further, true, but Venom are the Sabbath to MF's Maiden.
4: I guess. It just annoys me that such an awful death metal band is more popular than easily the best death metal band ever nowadays.

. Hell, most 80s metal was poppy. I'm not sure why Nightwish is any less Metal than Poison or Motley Crue. Or Judas Priest's Turbo.

Most metal in the 80s was poppy?, eh?

Well...Nightwish is not any less metal than Poison or Motley Crue, but that's not saying much compared to those two bands. Very commercial hard rock bands.

Cannibal Corpse is a very disappointing band. They're extremely talented players but they only have one good song, Hammer Smashed Face. The rest is trash. Hammer Smashed Face is the first track on its respective album (Tomb of the Mutilated), it was really underwhelming to find out that the rest of the album was pure garbage.

Back