Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

I was just talking to a guy I work with about that song.

I don't know music lingo but he said he was playing it in a 'drop d'. If that makes sense.

I was just talking to a guy I work with about that song.

I don't know music lingo but he said he was playing it in a 'drop d'. If that makes sense.

Drop-D is a tuning, but "Still of the Night" is played in standard tuning, in E minor. It's possible to play the song in Drop-D tuning, but it would change up some of the fingerings... if you tried to stick to the original key of E minor, it would get hard. If he's transposing to D minor, I could see it.

Edit: after a bit more consideration, Drop-D isn't terribly harder if you're a decent player, and it does give you that low D which lets you put more power into all those D-E chord changes. Your friend may in fact be quite clever there.

Now, now. Adrian Smith himself plays in drop D occasionally.
Janick Gers does too I think. Lots of players play in drop D. Eddie Van Halen, David Gilmour (parts of Another Brick in the Wall part 1), John Petrucci. It's a really cool tuning. It extends the range of the guitar and makes chords easier. I don't think it's a nu-metal thing though. Those bands go even lower I think.

Cried is too cool to post anything but pics and links. :p
jpeg-8.jpg

Back