Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

I have the money for the bike now. Insurance is covered. I'm just waiting for the guy to get back with me on a location to meet and I'm going up tomorrow morning to get it.

Fuck, it's been 4 years since I've had a bike.

I tell all my friends who ride motorcycles (not a lot, but more than I thought) about an academic article my brother wrote -- he's an economics professor at Michigan State Univ. Here is the link to the article, which if you have read "Freakonomics," is along the same vein. I'll simply quote the abstract below. It's somewhat macabre, but rightly goes into the category of "food for thought":
Traffic safety mandates are typically designed to reduce the harmful externalities
of risky behaviors. We consider whether motorcycle helmet laws also reduce a beneficial
externality by decreasing the supply of viable organ donors. Our central estimates show
that organ donations resulting from fatal motor vehicle accidents increase by 10 percent
when states repeal helmet laws. Two features of this association suggest that it is causal:
first, nearly all of it is concentrated among men, who account for over 90 percent of all
motorcyclist deaths, and second, helmet mandates are unrelated to the supply of donors
who die in circumstances other than motor vehicle accidents. The estimates imply that
every death of a helmetless motorcyclist prevents or delays as many as 0.33 deaths
among individuals on organ transplant waiting lists.

“Motorcycle fatalities are not only our No. 1 source of organs, they are also the highest-quality
source of organs, because donors are usually young, healthy people with no other traumatic
injuries to the body, except to the head…[a mandatory motorcycle helmet law] could put us out
of business – or at least the business of organ transplants.”
- Transplant surgeon quoted in “Brain Dead: Why Are There No Mandatory Helmet Laws?” by
Jerry Garrett, New York Times online, July 7, 2008.

Walked past an old movie theater ... this is the movie poster they had up

4jLOKd0eB1kF1glm37Z4OHq8diJ2ABESSnhUF7fySoo=w407-h229-p-no

I tell all my friends who ride motorcycles (not a lot, but more than I thought) about an academic article my brother wrote -- he's an economics professor at Michigan State Univ. Here is the link to the article, which if you have read "Freakonomics," is along the same vein. I'll simply quote the abstract below. It's somewhat macabre, but rightly goes into the category of "food for thought":
Traffic safety mandates are typically designed to reduce the harmful externalities
of risky behaviors. We consider whether motorcycle helmet laws also reduce a beneficial
externality by decreasing the supply of viable organ donors. Our central estimates show
that organ donations resulting from fatal motor vehicle accidents increase by 10 percent
when states repeal helmet laws. Two features of this association suggest that it is causal:
first, nearly all of it is concentrated among men, who account for over 90 percent of all
motorcyclist deaths, and second, helmet mandates are unrelated to the supply of donors
who die in circumstances other than motor vehicle accidents. The estimates imply that
every death of a helmetless motorcyclist prevents or delays as many as 0.33 deaths
among individuals on organ transplant waiting lists.

“Motorcycle fatalities are not only our No. 1 source of organs, they are also the highest-quality
source of organs, because donors are usually young, healthy people with no other traumatic
injuries to the body, except to the head…[a mandatory motorcycle helmet law] could put us out
of business – or at least the business of organ transplants.”
- Transplant surgeon quoted in “Brain Dead: Why Are There No Mandatory Helmet Laws?” by
Jerry Garrett, New York Times online, July 7, 2008.

:)

I'd agree with that. I typically try to dissuade my kids from riding, because I wasn't good enough to not get killed or injured, just lucky enough to have ridden long enough to get good.

They aren't safe, and even very good and vigilant riders get hurt.

So, we were at the beach and it was the weirdest thing but everybody had matching towels! Then we saw somebody go under a dock and there they saw a rock. But wouldn't you know it, it wasn't a rock at all it was a.......
ROCK LOBSTER!

OK, I have waited all day and now I want it to be tomorrow. I'm still waiting for this guy to call me back on where to meet to buy this bike!

I'm just sitting here waiting for that Iron Maiden thing to start on VH1

Good idea. By the time I think of something to do I reckon it'll be time for Maiden.

Yea same here. Alice In Chains are pretty cool live and Slipknot is fun to watch, at least. Not sure who else is on. I imagine Maiden would be last.

Just saw the lineup. I really hope they show Mastodon and QOTSA. Devin Townsend would be cool too but very unlikely.

Back