Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

What would we do in our area of birth/residence if we all won the lottery and could do official Maidenfans Weekends in various parts of the world?

Is that two separate questions?  What would we do where we live if winning the lotto and where would a good MF party be?

Ah... hm.  There isn't anything really fun around here to do.... at least within a 50 mile hike.  Now, Chicago or KCMO, yeah, we could come up with some good times!  Tailgate a foot ball game... Man, down in Westport (kc area), they have some awesome bars-- they do a 'block party' and 4 blocks are closed off to traffic, and you can bounce in and out of bars-- comedy clubs, hip hop clubs, metal bars, sports bars, a luau (sp?) with sand and a hog roasting, lots of cool stuff.

LooseCannon said:
Did you grill the fish, Foro?

....I just had an idea.

We didn't, we put the fish back in the water. I am not even sure if it's allowed to take them home.
My youngest bro is the real fisherman of us. He often does nightfishing, he's quite a die-hard, he loves that stuff. Me and my other brother never go fishing.

It really was a nice day, apart from the 200 euro fine. My brother broke the rule of using more than 2 fishingrods per licence. He was the only one with a license and we had 4 rods. A group of 7 policemen came plus some dude with a camera. We were really unlucky because they were training younger policemen so they had to give us the damned fine. Despite a second license my brother had with him. That one was from his girlfriend who was not with us. Well, it's our own fault, we broke the rules, but 200 euro fine was pretty exagerating if you ask me. At that point we hadn't catch a single fish. Later we caught 10 so we soon had a lot of fun. And naturally we'll each pay a third of the fine (one for all - all for one ;) ).

That's a hefty fine.  I haven't been fishing in awhile, but it would be nice to do again.  Or just some canoeing.

Perun said:
New Perunology.

Interesting. I enjoyed reading this. The subject reminds me of The Isles: A History, in which (a.o. things) Norman Davies explains how the term British was and still is abused.

Maybe you also should write a book about it, to explain the history of your country without being afraid to step on the toes of nationalists?

Favourite moment:
Notwithstanding the fact that Arminius was murdered several years after the battle, and the Germanic coalition broke apart over the question whether it should turn into a big Germanic empire, and the fact that a German nation state was founded only 1862 years after the battle, the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest is, in the same vein as 19th century nationalism, now again considered the foundation of the German nation by many.

Speaking of terms ( ;) ), I noticed you didn't mention the Limes. Maybe that's something for another blog in the future?

Forostar said:
Maybe you also should write a book about it, to explain the history of your country without being afraid to step on the toes of nationalists?

That thought has crossed my mind. I love stepping on the toes of nationalists, mind you. The only thing is, a book like that requires an immense amount of work, and given that I'm about to start with my Bachelor's thesis, I won't have that sort of time soon. But it is something that could be done in the future.

Incidentally, many European nations try to trace back their roots to the Roman era: The French with the Gauls, the Swiss with the Helvetians, the Portuguese with the Lusitanians, the Romanians with the Dacians... it's really incredible sometimes.

Speaking of terms ( ;) ), I noticed you didn't mention the Limes. Maybe that's something for another blog in the future?

Yes, I deliberately avoided mentioning the Limes, and many other facts about Roman Germany. I already thought I had included perhaps a bit too much detail as it is, but I will definitely go on about the Roman Empire more soon.

Your luck is that Canada's national myth was established fairly recently. Vimy Ridge wasn't even a century ago.

That's right, and we whupped you too.  :P

Most Canadians don't even care about the national myth anymore, anyway.

LooseCannon said:
That's right, and we whupped you too.   :P

*clap* *clap*

Big deal. Almost every national myth is based on kicking German arse in some way.

Back