LEGACY OF THE BEAST WORLD TOUR 2022 - **CONTAINS SPOILERS**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if this should have a new thread for discussion, but Bruce made some very interesting comments at a couple of Maiden shows such as "see you somewhere in time" and "see you somewhere on tour". Could he be giving hints to their plans for next year's setlist?

I thought some more about the point that Maiden stated they have just "forgotten" to shoot the tour in 1986/87. If they say so: what a rubbish. They brought in several professional cameras to shoot their official SIASL video in Sheffield's City Hall. They had all the filming gear in there even for two nights in follow, Oct 15 & Oct 16 1986. The video for SIASL was professionally shot multi cam and multi angle. And got pieced together later from the two nights plus from a third filming without audience. Sure, when they got all the gear in there, they just do that one song... Sounds very logical...

Last edited:
I thought some more about the point that Maiden stated they have just "forgotten" to shoot the 1986/87. If they say so: what a rubbish. They brought in several professional cameras to shoot their official SIASL video in Sheffield's City Hall. They had all the filming gear in there even for two nights in follow, Oct 15 & October 16 1986. The video for SIASL was professionally shot multi cam and multi angle. And got pieced together later from the two nights plus from a third filming without audience. Sure, when they got all the gear in there, they just do that one song... Sounds very logical...
I don’t recall if there were ever reviews of the show but if they did shoot those 2 shows then I was would say Rod and the band weren’t pleased with the results and felt it wasn’t good enough for release (for whatever reason). And then didn’t want to go thru the expense/trouble to do another set of shows.

I don’t recall if there were ever reviews of the show but if they did shoot those 2 shows then I was would say Rod and the band weren’t pleased with the results and felt it wasn’t good enough for release (for whatever reason). And then didn’t want to go thru the expense/trouble to do another set of shows.
Yeah, somethig like this, my thoughts exactly. When watching the SIASL video it's getting obvious how much effort they've put into the filming of it, and that's why I'm almost a 100% sure there were sound issues. Or if there weren't even ISSUES, I would bet anyway it's all about the sound. And indeed there is a vast difference between the studio album and to everything that can be heard from bootlegs of 1986/87. Synth technology in 1986 simply wasn't that far to bring those things they could do in the studio to stage. MIDI technology e.g. was in its children's shoes back in those days. But the professional recording of at least Sheffield is locked in Harris' closet, he and Rod are just not fine with releasing it. And one more thought: The sound of those recordings might be even that bad that their own monument they've built themselves just before by the release of LAD could have taken damage. Even LAD had overdubs, but to come even close to the quality of LAD in terms of a 1986/87 live release, that one must have been nothing but a dub fest.

Last edited:
I used to have a boot from that tour. If I recall I think it was indeed the Sheffield show. Sounded good to me. But I also remember seeing some video footage of the Paris show and even though quality wasn’t that good I thought CSiT sounded pretty bad by Maiden’s standards

I don't know where all this "forgot to shoot" talk is coming from. For decades the official stance was and has been that they consciously chose to not document another tour immediately after Live After Death. Apparently it was Rod's idea.

Sure, when they got all the gear in there, they just do that one song... Sounds very logical...

That's ... exactly the logical and usual route bands took, and sometimes even take nowadays. Shooting, storing and editing the footage for a single show out of an almost two hour set is obviously much more expensive than doing all that for a single song. Especially with the technology back then.

My naive hope is that they might have a recording in the vaults, that while stile quite poor in quality compared to their other live albums, would at least sound better than the bootlegs we have. The fandom would be very happy with a release like that, even if it were audio only. I truly doubt that they've recorded a whole show with cameras and that they're simply sitting on it for some nebulous reason.

I can't believe the discussion on the word "forgot".

They obviously don't mean literally "forgot" i.e. like they had planned to record a gig and then got to the end of the tour and realised "oh shit, we never made the video".

I can't believe the discussion on the word "forgot".

They obviously don't mean literally "forgot" i.e. like they had planned to record a gig and then got to the end of the tour and realised "oh shit, we never made the video".
Of course not, but using the phrasing "forgot" is awkward and misplaced. The band actively decided against recording the tour. They've said so numerous times over the years. Refused is the word we should be using, not "forgot". This isn't even new information, we've known that for literal decades :innocent:

IMHO, I think that's because of the ridiculous costume Bruce wore at the time, that the band (Steve + Rod) has decided to avoid to release a VHS or CD of this tour... :D When you look at Bruce, he looks like a clown added to the patient of the Operation Hasbro game of the 80's with all these light bulbs turning on and off... :lol:

I thought some more about the point that Maiden stated they have just "forgotten" to shoot the tour in 1986/87. If they say so: what a rubbish. They brought in several professional cameras to shoot their official SIASL video in Sheffield's City Hall. They had all the filming gear in there even for two nights in follow, Oct 15 & Oct 16 1986. The video for SIASL was professionally shot multi cam and multi angle. And got pieced together later from the two nights plus from a third filming without audience. Sure, when they got all the gear in there, they just do that one song... Sounds very logical...
There's several reasons why you're incorrect.

Firstly, the SIASL video was filmed after and not during the concert and performed along to a backing track. This has been confirmed in several interviews and I'm sure is mentioned in Bruce's book but I could be mistaken about this. The easiest way to tell is that Nicko is playing in tempo.

Secondly, the house lights are on which was common for shooting live videos back then as the typical lenses used then and photochemical film stock doesn't work so well in low light conditions. This is why LAD was shot with the house lights on. It's also why they scrapped the video release of BOH as the footage was too dark. They could only release it on the Early Years dvd as digital colour grading technology allowed the footage to become usable.

Finally, shooting a 2 hour set on film in 1986 would have been very cost prohibitive and probably only funded by EMI if they knew there was a live concert video they could sell at the end of it to recoup the costs. A single ten minute roll of 35mm film in 1986 would have cost somewhere around £250.

No, unless any evidence to the contrary comes out, I'm very certain that only SIASL was shot and perhaps some test footage. The only way to be sure would be to track down the director or crew. Here he is by the way.

Screenshot_20220814-133704_IMDb.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back