LEGACY OF THE BEAST WORLD TOUR 2022 - **CONTAINS SPOILERS**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched the videos from the Download festival and the sound is :wtf: for me. There are no dynamics, energy or reverb. I hate this kind of production. But, Maiden sound was similar for all the bands that in Hellfest this year. It's like the pandemic of Covid-19 has killed all the sound-engineers aptitudes to create powerful sounds for metal bands. That's weird. As the guys who caught this fucking illness had a new symptom which is doing a complete mess with mixes and masterings.

One could argue that Tony Newton mixes were already crap pre-pandemic! :lol:

I hope he leave Harris as Halfin and others left Maiden and keep busy with Kk’s priest
Anyway Harris must be away of a mixing desk and Someone with guts needs tell him what the f*** is doing with the sound of some live recordings and videos and rent a proffesional engineer and producer and a film director because since Live After Death video all the live vídeo recordings sucks.

It was very warm in the audience but there was a medium wind blowing directly on to the stage. Bruce commented that it was freezing up there.
Yeah in audience, it was fine. However, outside (and probably on stage too) it was 15 degrees with 25 kph wind. Did not regret wearing a hoodie one bit.

When I listen to Newton mixes, I have a feeling like he is not permitted to clean up the tracks (not pitch correct, but just delete unneccessary shite), the order is just to put them in a project, add fx and adjust levels. Maybe do a touch of mastering at the end and that's it.

And that results in a mess that we get. I'll go as far and say that Pooch's FOH mixes sound much better than Newton multitracks.

I actually think BOS: Live Chapter is easily the best sounding Maiden live album ever in terms of production. The drums and the guitars in particular sound incredibly smooth and clear. So I think Newton definitely has it in him to mix a good live album.

Though I do agree that Nights of The Dead sounds awful, for some reason.

I think Steve should be a ver y difficult person to work with and I’m afraid Senjutsu could be the last album which Kevin Shirley, Mark Wilkinson has worked to say a few. Both of them said it was very hard. (Because Steve)

When I listen to Newton mixes, I have a feeling like he is not permitted to clean up the tracks (not pitch correct, but just delete unneccessary shite), the order is just to put them in a project, add fx and adjust levels. Maybe do a touch of mastering at the end and that's it.

And that results in a mess that we get. I'll go as far and say that Pooch's FOH mixes sound much better than Newton multitracks.

I decided to give Nights of the Dead another spin today as I had a long train journey ride to Glasgow, which was also delayed. Guess what? Tony Newton’s mix made the journey feel much longer!

The muddiness of the 'mix' on the download footage is very baffling, at the concert itself I could pick out all 3 guitars clearly, and all of the instruments and Bruce's vocals sat comfortably alongside each other, everything sounded very rich and full. It was actually one of the best sounding outdoor shows that I've been to in a long time.

The muddiness of the 'mix' on the download footage is very baffling, at the concert itself I could pick out all 3 guitars clearly, and all of the instruments and Bruce's vocals sat comfortably alongside each other, everything sounded very rich and full. It was actually one of the best sounding outdoor shows that I've been to in a long time.
Yup. Pooch is amazing. Since he took over, Maiden sound amazing live. Not too loud, not muddy, just right.

P.S. Pooch mixed the multitrack recordings of every Linkin Park show on few tours while he was working for them as a FOH engineer. And surprise, surprise, Shinoda gave him completely free hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back