Legacy of the Beast Tour 2018 - CONTAINS SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The Red and the Black" is perfect the way it is. "Empire", on the other hand, could use some extra runtime....

That could be extended to, I think, all Maiden members (probably with the exception of Nicko, whose songwriting contributions are fairly limited).
It could indeed - I singled out Steve for special mention simply because he is the band's founder and chief creative driving force, and hence the band's initial direction was defined by how he thought it should be. The others' contributions have all been woven into this along the way, and they have all stuck around (or not gone far away) basically because they share Steve's vision. The band's internal chemistry - how they all work together - is what makes Maiden unique (and unassailibly brilliant). The total is greater than the sum of the parts.

Not really on-topic anymore.

Too many songs seem to be long for the sake of being long. An extra repeated chorus here a few extra bars repeated there. Granted this has been going on since Where Eagles Dare, but it has really been evident over the past 20 years (since VXI). This is one of the reason us "older" fans generally prefer 80s to 2000s.
The mid-part of the song is certainly not intended to make the song longer. It's more variation than repetition, and it has its own dynamic and serves the purpose of the song and even of the story it tells. The same goes with the great part after the solos. I wish Maiden/Harris did more of this, altthough I love the "square angle" approach (passing from one them to a completely different one).

That's the problem with long-term nerds... I became a fan only 2 yrs ago, so all Maiden albums were equally new to me. And I preferred BOS at once to all their albums. As well as the reunion era to the 80-s. Whereas long-term fans get a professional defect - they always tend to be mad about new albums (I'm a long-term Beatles fan, and I know what I'm talking about :D) because they don't sound exactly like previous ones used to. Don't be so conservative guys, they sound awesome, a new Maiden fan is telling you this, and I'm more objective here than you :halo:

That's the problem with long-term nerds... I became a fan only 2 yrs ago, so all Maiden albums were equally new to me. And I preferred BOS at once to all their albums. As well as the reunion era to the 80-s. Whereas long-term fans get a professional defect - they always tend to be mad about new albums (I'm a long-term Beatles fan, and I know what I'm talking about :D) because they don't sound exactly like previous ones used to. Don't be so conservative guys, they sound awesome, a new Maiden fan is telling you this, and I'm more objective here than you :halo:
Very interesting point. I tend to agree with Nicko on the point that TBOS is "sonically the best album" they produced. The problem for many of us is that being sonically the best is not enough in face of memory.

All things combined, TRTB is a masterpiece on its own; however, in comparison with the historical baggage, it has little originality in it & simply sounds like some nice snapshots from the last 30 years have been taken and put together in one song. Maybe no single song in the Maiden history sounds as rich as TRTB, but all this history combined, TRTB brings very few novelty.

This is why our perceptions here may radically differ.

I like the sound they make since 2000, in 80-s Steve's bass was way too much, all melodies got lost in his bass line, and I hate it in fact. After the reunion the bass became much more reasonable and to the point, imo. They have much more ballads now, e.g. Journeyman was impossible in the 80s. To say nothing of Empire which is my absolute favorite.

Been a fan since 1981 and I enjoy the post reunion albums as much as the 80's stuff.

I beg to differ. TRATB has none of the classic Maiden elements. Leaving the repetitive and bloaded nature of the song aside, there are no harmonised guitars. Davey is just playing single chords for the entire 14 minutes. This is just horrible.

Fan since 2001. Love the reunion era but always disliked final frontier.

Book of Souls is quite good but too overblown and long

I beg to differ. TRATB has none of the classic Maiden elements. Leaving the repetitive and bloaded nature of the song aside, there are no harmonised guitars. Davey is just playing single chords for the entire 14 minutes. This is just horrible.

I think what I call historical baggage is a bit different than what you call "classic Maiden elements". Here, saying history, I include AMOLAD, BNW or DOD. TRATB is mostly like a recollection of some sounds in these albums to me (I mean, look at Nicko's drum partitions, look at the TWM-like chorus).

I think what I call historical baggage is a bit different than what you call "classic Maiden elements". Here, saying history, I include AMOLAD, BNW or DOD. TRATB is mostly like a recollection of some sounds in these albums to me (I mean, look at Nicko's drum partitions, look at the TWM-like chorus).
Fair enough. I just consider as my beloved Maiden sound the one rooted in the 80s.

Oh, but we, long-term nerds, have the advantage of having watched Little Brucie grow up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back