Legacy of the Beast Tour 2018 - CONTAINS SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ That much is true. Musically though, I always got the impression that he though highly of it. Isn't there an interview where he and Adrian pick their five favourite Maiden albums? I'm sure they both chose Seventh Son.

There is, recorded in Sweden in 2005. Can't remember about Seventh son, only that Adrian picked SIT, Steve picked BNW, IM and TXF, and I think Bruce picked TNOTB, Killers and POM.

Is it, though? Bruce has always said he's disappointed that the album didn't fully follow through with the concept.

Yes, but he has also praised the album quite a lot and he even mentioned in his book that he was very excited about ME tour revisit to that era.

Is it, though? Bruce has always said he's disappointed that the album didn't fully follow through with the concept.
He said that, yes, but that doesn't mean he doesn't like the album. Far from it, he just thinks it could've been even better.

36894712_486165525169694_4944324986325172224_n.jpg

Hey Dennis! I had a hair transplant and you didn't. Peace out.
Who says Dave had a hair transplant?!!?
:confused:

I will be honest with you: I don't think the band (Iron Maiden members) knows their discography as well as we (diehard fans from this forum) do.

I will give you two examples: 1) Nicko not remembering and being confused about them not playing (or playing once) ATG in the past.
2) Bruce saying on RIR 2013: "It is the third time we do Rock In Rio, the first one was like 30 years ago on TNOTB world tour, I think".

Actually, there were more examples, but I forgot.

Anyway, the point is: I loved that interview which they picked their favorite albums, but I really don't think they actually meant that and most of them picked their favorite albums randomly (with the exception of their NUMBER ONE album, maybe). Or do you really think that when Bruce picked POM he remembered the harmonies of To Tame a Land? Nah, that's stuff that we remember. Not them. Do you think they remember about the existence of Gates of Tomorrow? New Frontier? Well, maybe Nicko on this one. Anyway, you get the point.

(Just saying my impression - obviously not saying that it is a fact)

I’m sure they have genuine favorites, but if they’re picking Piece of Mind it’s because of The Trooper and not To Tame a Land. I think we also need to remember that the memories recording the album and where they were personally also makes a huge difference. I really doubt Bruce keeps a ranking of every Maiden album on his computer, but memories associated with those songs definitely has an impact on the set list.

I agree about band members not being so accurate about their discography, but I think Steve is pretty much sure about it. Although, I still don't believe that DoD is among his Top 5 albums, he picked that one in the interview that's been mentioned. Since at that time it was their newest release, it was probably part of "that's the best album we've ever done" strategy.

Last edited:
I’m sure they have genuine favorites, but if they’re picking Piece of Mind it’s because of The Trooper and not To Tame a Land. I think we also need to remember that the memories recording the album and where they were personally also makes a huge difference. I really doubt Bruce keeps a ranking of every Maiden album on his computer, but memories associated with those songs definitely has an impact on the set list.

Yes, I agree with that. The memories certainly are very important.

I will be honest with you: I don't think the band (Iron Maiden members) knows their discography as well as we (diehard fans from this forum) do.

I will give you two examples: 1) Nicko not remembering and being confused about them not playing (or playing once) ATG in the past.
2) Bruce saying on RIR 2013: "It is the third time we do Rock In Rio, the first one was like 30 years ago on TNOTB world tour, I think".

Actually, there were more examples, but I forgot.

Anyway, the point is: I loved that interview which they picked their favorite albums, but I really don't think they actually meant that and most of them picked their favorite albums randomly (with the exception of their NUMBER ONE album, maybe). Or do you really think that when Bruce picked POM he remembered the harmonies of To Tame a Land? Nah, that's stuff that we remember. Not them. Do you think they remember about the existence of Gates of Tomorrow? New Frontier? Well, maybe Nicko on this one. Anyway, you get the point.

(Just saying my impression - obviously not saying that it is a fact)
If I am not mistaken, Bruce noted many times that he almost never listens to music.

This is in fact a common problem with musicians. This is why a music enthusiast --be them audiophiles/hi-fi people or ordinary listeners-- tends to engage with a piece of music in ways a professional, including even the musicians who write and perform them, cannot sustain.

We are lucky because we enjoy listening to Iron Maiden, which the band members cannot enjoy as much as we do, due to the structural limits upon them.

it was probably part of "that's the best album we've ever done" strategy.
they keep repeating everytime that "this is sonically the best". The problem with these statements is that it gives the impression that they keep reproducing the same song so as to make it a bit better-- which is partially true, when you think of, say, TRATB or the Empire in comparison with some previous songs, like the Legacy.

Instead, what they should say is that "this new album promises to be different" in a certain manner.

Last edited:
There is, recorded in Sweden in 2005. Can't remember about Seventh son, only that Adrian picked SIT, Steve picked BNW, IM and TXF, and I think Bruce picked TNOTB, Killers and POM.

Bruce and Adrian were interviewed together and agreed on TNOTB (top choice for both of them), Killers, POM and BNW. Bruce's 5th pick was Powerslave, whilst Adrian chose SIT. The interviewer did not bring SSOASS though.

If I remember correctly, Steve and Dave went with DOD, BNW, IM, TXF and, in the absence of SSOASS, Rock in Rio.

If I am not mistaken, Bruce noted many times that he almost never listens to music.

This is in fact a common problem with musicians. This is why a music enthusiast --be them audiophiles/hi-fi people or ordinary listeners-- tends to engage with a piece of music in ways a professional, including even the musicians who write and perform them, cannot sustain.

We are lucky because we enjoy listening to Iron Maiden, which the band members cannot enjoy as much as we do, due to the structural limits upon them.
Mike Portnoy is a good example of a musician who is also an avid fan or “ordinary listener/enthusiast”. It showed during his time in Dream Theater. Rare songs frequently performed live, lots of live albums to cover a large number of songs/medleys/jams, behind the scenes footage, etc were all things that happened largely on his watch. It’s a good example of the difference between a “normal”
band and a band run by super fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back