Legacy of the Beast Tour 2018 - CONTAINS SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like how Bruce shoots on Eddie with the flag of the country where they play, and how he battles with him. :fencing:| The only thing that irritates me is that they uses the Maiden England Eddie as a backdrop instead of the original Trooper Eddie, but that is part of the fresh approach of some of the old songs, I suppose !

Last edited:
Will you make it to any other UK shows?
Naw, sadly not. If not for Hellfest I definitely would have.
I haven't been to many metal festivals but I can certainly recommend Hellfest, great vibe. Standout bands for me were Limp Bizkit (seriously), Europe, Manegarm and Parkway Drive. Megadave were a disappointment. Just a bit flat.

I though they were good in the O2.

Which flag do you reckon Bruce will wave around during 'The Trooper': the Union Flag or the Red Hand Northern Ireland flag?
Well they just dropped The Trooper in Belfast in 2010 so maybe that could happen again. Although I think they played it in Dublin last time and used the Union Flag.
Fuck knows! Either way, I won't be one of the inevitable guys booing, 'tis simply theatre, after all!

Hellfest was immense
Yes, it was. Though there are other factors to be taken into consideration, there is still a world of difference between seeing Maiden play mostly by day (like their disappointing 2014 performance) and mostly by night (this Sunday's excellent show).

Megadave were a disappointment. Just a bit flat.
This. And especially the scorching sun: Megadeth was the band before Maiden on Mainstage 1, which means if you wanted a good spot, you had to stay standing in the sun and flying dirt around 2 hours before Maiden was on. Besides, there was a sound problem at the beginning of Megadeth's set, rendering the audience unable to hear anything but the drums. However, the setlist was
interesting, with "My last words" dedicated to Vinnie Paul and one guitarist from Arch Enemy as a guest on "Symphony of Destruction"
and the musicians always impressive.

Last edited:
Yes, it was. Though there are other factors to be taken into consideration, there is still a world of difference between seeing Maiden play mostly by day (like their disappointing 2014 performance) and mostly by night (this Sunday's excellent show).

May I ask what was disappointing about their 2014 show?

May I ask what was disappointing about their 2014 show?
Well, in my opinion, Maiden backdrops and scenery- and the "magic" of their live shows in general- lose their appeal by day... and you have got to remember it was the Seventh Son stage. Besides, Nicko was particularly slow which made Steve not play very well, and Bruce was not in top form either. For the rhythm section, their age really showed that time since I hadn't seen him since 2003 then. Steve's back was already shot. Finally, I don't think that the 2014 setlist flowed very well. Add to that even worse conditions than this year (heat, sun, dirt) and you have my worst (still "enjoyable" though) Maiden performance out of four.

Last edited:
Great shot of The Trooper from the big screens.... from this footage we can make our own Pro-Shot DVD of the current tour :D

The tour I was most impressed by Bruce was 2016. Fantastic vibe. Last year was quite a disilusion, and I will give my opinion on this tour only after the two Bercy shows: they usually do well in this venue.

The tour I was most impressed by Bruce was 2016. Fantastic vibe. Last year was quite a disilusion, and I will give my opinion on this tour only after the two Bercy shows: they usually do well in this venue.

Funnily enough, I thought he was very good at Donington in 2016, but even better at both London gigs in 2017. Either way, significantly better than at any of the Maiden gigs I had attended since 2011.

Well, in my opinion, Maiden backdrops and scenery- and the "magic" of their live shows in general- lose their appeal by day... and you have got to remember it was the Seventh Son stage. Besides, Nicko was particularly slow which made Steve not play very well, and Bruce was not in top form either. For the rhythm section, their age really showed that time since I hadn't seen him since 2003 then. Steve's back was already shot. Finally, I don't think that the 2014 setlist flowed very well. Add to that even worse conditions than this year (heat, sun, dirt) and you have my worst (still "enjoyable" though) Maiden performance out of four.

Thanks for the explanation.

Friends from Hellfest, can we all agree Bruce's performance was unbelievable and by far his best for at least the past 5 years?
Apart from a few jumbled lyrics, he was simply perfect, I agree. All of them were, by the way. I really hope it was filmed pro-shot.

The only thing I'm wondering about is: did they "forget" Nicko behind his camouflage drape for 6 songs or was it intended to be so?

Last edited:
Yeah, I noticed a few fluffed lines too but other than that he was brilliant. Commanding, energetic and a powerful voice. I was afraid for Aces High but no problems there, although I haven't watched any of the videos since my return. Sign of the Cross was phenomenal. I thought he was great in 2017 (Glasgow & Aberdeen) but terrible at times in the 2016 videos. Thankfully no horror shows like The Red & The Black in this set.
Nicko, too, seemed to be on the ball with no noticeable issues in terms of tempo or fitness. But, you know, I am not the most analytical of music fans, especially after 3 and a half days of Extreme Booze & Sun.

I am very happy with the setlist. I haven't read this whole thread but I did read a few comments regarding the loss of momentum during Greater Good. I didn't notice this but I refer you to my previous comment regarding 3 and a half days of Extreme Booze & Sun. Delighted to have Aces, Eagles, Revelations, Clansman, Sign, Icarus, Evil, RTTH. And the rest, to be fair. Given that this is Legacy of The Beast, we got as much, if not more, than we could expect in terms of rarities/deep cuts. All I would do to the set is add Running Free to the encores. But then I would always do that. Well, I suppose I could handle a bit of Rime, especially considering I missed Somewhere Back In Time. Certainly no disappointment though.

Yeah, I noticed a few fluffed lines too but other than that he was brilliant. Commanding, energetic and a powerful voice. I was afraid for Aces High but no problems there, although I haven't watched any of the videos since my return. Sign of the Cross was phenomenal. I thought he was great in 2017 (Glasgow & Aberdeen) but terrible at times in the 2016 videos. Thankfully no horror shows like The Red & The Black in this set.
Nicko, too, seemed to be on the ball with no noticeable issues in terms of tempo or fitness. But, you know, I am not the most analytical of music fans, especially after 3 and a half days of Extreme Booze & Sun.

I am very happy with the setlist. I haven't read this whole thread but I did read a few comments regarding the loss of momentum during Greater Good. I didn't notice this but I refer you to my previous comment regarding 3 and a half days of Extreme Booze & Sun. Delighted to have Aces, Eagles, Revelations, Clansman, Sign, Icarus, Evil, RTTH. And the rest, to be fair. Given that this is Legacy of The Beast, we got as much, if not more, than we could expect in terms of rarities/deep cuts. All I would do to the set is add Running Free to the encores. But then I would always do that. Well, I suppose I could handle a bit of Rime, especially considering I missed Somewhere Back In Time. Certainly no disappointment though.

wtf-oh-hell-naw.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back