Legacy of the Beast Tour 2018 - CONTAINS SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care about critics, they don't count.

Yeah, all the people who spend their whole lives trying to learn as much as they can about given craft in order to be able to analyse various pieces of art and compare it with other pieces of art by the same artists and other artists in given field, analyse patterns and fashions in given field of work, so coming to abstract and general conclusions in order to be as close to truth as possible... those don't count. Yeah, right.

Yeah right. I never listen to critics to tell me what I like. Sometimes they shit on some albums or movies I like, sometimes they praise some shit albums and movies.

My advice to you: listen to yourself, not the critics.

Well, the critics however are usually able to say why something is good or not. That's I'd always be interested in what professional critics have to say.

It's like you are unsure of your own taste, and need confirmation of some critics (internet bloggers) to tell you that you are right.

Every single Iron Maiden album since the debut has gotten both rave reviews and negative ones. I don't get any sort of argument people are making here.

Me neither, they are trying to make me see that I am wrong in disliking AMOLAD by showing that critics liked it I guess.

There are many people who hate everything Maiden have done since Di'Anno left. AMOLAD is a great album, but for as many critics who loved it, there were / are many others who didn't care for / abhorred it.

Me neither, they are trying to make me see that I am wrong in disliking AMOLAD by showing that critics liked it I guess.

No. That doesn't matter. I don't care whether you like AMOLAD or not. It's your condescension regarding critics that matters to me.

(Exhibit A)

That's why I say it's pointless to look to critics for anything.

It's like you are unsure of your own taste, and need confirmation of some critics (internet bloggers) to tell you that you are right.

Well... First of all - being too sure of your own taste might not be a good thing. There's a lot of stuff I hated at first and only changed my opinion later on (Pink Floyd would be a great example - each and every album of theirs was hard for me to get into at the time - I am glad I did, though). It's really cool if someone who has heard more than you have (and that's why I talk about professional critics) is actually able to coherently and comprehensively show you what's good to notice and appreciate about a given work. It has always worked that way in the history of mankind. Heck, even I do that - when we watch a movie/listen to an album with our friends and I can explain and show them what is it I love about a particular movie/album, they often appreciate the film/album much more and sometimes it even becomes a great movie for them because of that.

Second of all - I never said anything about internet bloggers. Even then - George Starostin's reviews actually brought me to a lot of stuff I listen to and love many years later. Of course I don't agree with everything he writes, in fact I disagree a lot - but for me he's a stellar example of even an amateur critic who is good to read. That's what a good critic should do - to make sound and rational arguments as to whether a certain piece of art is (for lack of a better word) "good" or "bad". And it's always wise to listen to a good critic. Even if (and sometimes especially if) you disagree with him. Because a good critic raises interesting points and is able to analyse and compare in such a way it leaves you intrigued. So dismissing any critical opinion outright (like you did) is... well, I'd say unwise.

Professional critics are a dying breed. Today we live in age of internet bloggers who are considered critics, and they are 95% of today's "professional" critics.

You might be right about that, and that makes me sad, really. However, even then, some of the bloggers might become the "good" critics of the future and I hope they will.

The reason why I hope the criticism as such might remain? I have read even rather scathing reviews of stuff I dearly loved, but by clever critics, who indeed raised interesting and truthful points along the way (well, or at least they were really funny - I mean, I read a f**** Metal Archives "blogger" review of The Astonishing that gave it an absurdly low score and shred it to pieces and I laughed all the way, even though I love the band and actually like the album).
When such thing happened, I hated to do so, but I had to admit they were right about certain things. Most of the time it didn't make me hate the stuff at hand, but at least it made me think about it and try to come up with a counter-argument... or at least acknowledge that my tastes are indeed personal and not everyone might feel the same way - yet be absolutely correct in doing so. There is an objective aspect to the music (much like any art, really) and I'm glad for the people who make the extra effort to actually discover it.

Anyway, sorry for hijacking the thread - back to the tour talk. :)

Don't even try to turn this on us. No one said, or even tried to say you were wrong in disliking the album. You said as if for a fact that AMOLAD was only loved around here, and again, that is simply not true. All my arguments were pointing to that, not to the fact that you dislike it. What you like or don't like means squat to me.

Anyway...
I reckon they rehearsed 'Alexander the Great' but decided to play 'Hallowed be thy Name' after they settled the dispute over the stolen lyrics.
Or they just secretly got sued by history book authors for "Alex"'s lyrics instead.

You might be right about that, and that makes me sad, really. However, even then, some of the bloggers might become the "good" critics of the future and I hope they will.

The reason why I hope the criticism as such might remain? I have read even rather scathing reviews of stuff I dearly loved, but by clever critics, who indeed raised interesting and truthful points along the way (well, or at least they were really funny - I mean, I read a f**** Metal Archives "blogger" review of The Astonishing that gave it an absurdly low score and shred it to pieces and I laughed all the way, even though I love the band and actually like the album).
When such thing happened, I hated to do so, but I had to admit they were right about certain things. Most of the time it didn't make me hate the stuff at hand, but at least it made me think about it and try to come up with a counter-argument... or at least acknowledge that my tastes are indeed personal and not everyone might feel the same way - yet be absolutely correct in doing so. There is an objective aspect to the music (much like any art, really) and I'm glad for the people who make the extra effort to actually discover it.

Anyway, sorry for hijacking the thread - back to the tour talk. :)
I just wanted to say you’re 100% right on this. The Thing is one of my favorite movies, but after I read some good reviews by unimpressed reviewers, it made me see it in a new light. Which is good. Sometimes it’s best when you see both sides of the picture.

Don't even try to turn this on us. No one said, or even tried to say you were wrong in disliking the album. You said as if for a fact that AMOLAD was only loved around here, and again, that is simply not true. All my arguments were pointing to that, not to the fact that you dislike it. What you like or don't like means squat to me.

It is true, I have only seen it loved around here, and your only arguments were critics, and that argument is invalid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back