Legacy of the Beast Tour 2018 - CONTAINS SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never understood all these claims that Bruce's singing was poor during most of the '80s. While I do agree that he's better now than he was before, I don't think he ever sounded truly bad. I'd take Bruce's singing on LAD over many studio performances by other artistis - and I don't mean that because I'm a fan, I mean that I honestly don't think he ever sounded actually bad, or even average. To me, those claims are insane.
I also never understood those claims. In my mind it's almost a blasphemy to say he was bad during most of the '80s. In my opinion it's just that nowadays he sings more professionally and with more technique, which he acquired over they years, especially during his solo career. But that doesn't mean he was bad in the 80's, he was far from that. But of course, from the reunion until now there are many moments where he sings better than some shows in the 80's. On that I can agree.

Bruce was always great. Let's not kid ourselves. He kind of had his peak when he first joined Maiden though.He had that fire!!!! He was also in great shape in 1999. Post cancer he is not as good as he used to but he still does a hell of a job. Not a lot people are able to pull decades of screaming as well as he does.

BTW I would kill to see Sea of madness and Infinite dreams instead of FTGGOG and TC. At least one of them is still Steve's.

Bruce was always great. Let's not kid ourselves. He kind of had his peak when he first joined Maiden though.He had that fire!!!! He was also in great shape in 1999. Post cancer he is not as good as he used to but he still does a hell of a job. Not a lot people are able to pull decades of screaming as well as he does.

His singing post cancer is better than it was on the final leg of TFF tour and than on the Maiden England tour.

I never understood all these claims that Bruce's singing was poor during most of the '80s. While I do agree that he's better now than he was before, I don't think he ever sounded truly bad. I'd take Bruce's singing on LAD over many studio performances by other artistis - and I don't mean that because I'm a fan, I mean that I honestly don't think he ever sounded actually bad, or even average. To me, those claims are insane.

Bruce's voice was really strained and nearly shot by the end of the 80s as a result of excessive touring, but I love LAD. Even if it does not show him at his best for that particular era, there is a roughness that I really like.

That being said, he is a much better singer since he went solo and is now capable of performing the old songs much more accurately than at any point pre-reunion (the chorus of RTTH comes to mind).

Now his voice is more stable, he is aware of what he has to do to keep his voice durable (for example, cutting long sounds short + hitting the high notes but not making them excessively long). Back in the LAD days, he was more unpolished, less stable, but for the very same reason: more surprising. Now we all know how he will sound at a certain song, because he has almost institutionalized his technique.

I think that through the years, Bruce voice was in a great form ! Yeah, his voice during the 80's was damaged because of the long touring, but he always surprise me with his live performances.
I think he finds his more powerful singing/voice during his solo career, from 1997 onwards. He's singing better now than ever, and that is again evidence how fantastic vocalist and performer that he is !

His singing post cancer is better than it was on the final leg of TFF tour and than on the Maiden England tour.

Might be. But I think that he is past his prime which is perfectly fine if you ask me. I think he is doing a great job still.

Might be. But I think that he is past his prime which is perfectly fine if you ask me. I think he is doing a great job still.

Sure, his peak might have been a decade ago, but he is definitely singing much better than in 2011-2014, that is for sure, and also than from 1985-1993, which is nothing short of incredible.

I think we can count ourselves lucky. :)

^This. His recent performances have sounded a lot stronger than ME.

He was more inconsistent in the 80s, I think. His characteristic 80s style is probably something he can't quite match today, but I definitely hear him missing notes more, and sounding less polished, in 80s live performances. His style today is more constrained, but he knows his own limitations a lot better and sings/writes around them, playing to his own strengths. Plus we get back to the issue of non vocalist-friendly Steve writing in the 80s. ;)

I must say, that I expected for the current tour the song that was going to be played from BNW to be the title track, but The Wicker Man is a awesome song... :)

For me, Brave New World is another classic by Maiden and maybe they will play it on the next tour.

I like 'The Wicker Man' a lot, but I also prefer 'Brave New World'. 'The Wicker Man' feels like a safe choice to me and one that conveniently fits into their church/religion theme.

People clapping 4/4 over 3/4.

Lol.

While I'm not expecting much of non-musicians I don't understand how you'd feel 4/4 on that intro.

Edit: I should rephrase that, don't mean to be elitist. I mean it is hard to know the difference and where to clap if you haven't been taught. And since 4/4 is the norm, well that's what people expect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back