LEGACY OF THE BEAST 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just watched on YT LOTB show with my 7yo. Some notes from new maiden fan:
a) Bruce blow his mind even if he's in age of his grandpa.
b) he loved sign of the cross and ftgog. I just played this to him on bass while he was falling asleep
c) he want guitar to be like this 'cool dancing guy' so Janick Fans - there is one more of us
d) 'but how this bass dude is singing everything and playing? And why I can't hear him?'
e) foi - O.O
f) Happy Face is always smiling while playing, this is so cool
g) Why this stage is so big? So many things :eek: i probably ruined all shows for him now.
h) Dancing guy and bass dude are his favorite part. Bruce is godlike to him because I must told my little one everything I know about him and name all songs he should listen tomorrow after school.
Parenting done right - don't form opinions for them, just show them the evidence and let them make up their own minds :)

Your kid seems to be a pretty astute observer already. I'm impressed!

I pity you, Jer, for you have yet to see the light.
ScholarlyImmediateAlligator-size_restricted.gif

I4Zr.gif

RIvrro.gif

You’re right, what was I thinking?!?!

I've just seen some film of the Toronto show and I must say, Bruce's hair is starting to look surprisingly alright. I guess it just had an awkward phase to get past ... :D

Can't wait for México shows. My cousin cancelled me so i have to sell his ticket. But don't mind, 6th time seeing them !!

Janick may not be the best soloist, but I tell you what: that dude is a strong rhythm guitarist, writes monster songs, and is an absolute spectacle live. Without him the show wouldn’t be as awesome as it is.
Janick is OK, but he’s a bit like a juggling clown on stage with a ballet troupe. You can allow yourself to be entertained by him, but he doesn’t really fit the situation. And it doesn’t help that he’s trying to share the studio and the stage with two of the best guitarists of the genre. He’s always going to lose out in that comparison.

When Janick holds it together, he’s fine. Not great, but fine. He’s certainly had some strong songwriting moments (Be Quick Or Be Dead, Ghost Of The Navigator, Out Of The Silent Planet, The Talisman, The Book Of Souls), but he also tends to be involved in some of the weakest songs on the albums he’s on, too (Fear Is The Key, The Apparition, Weekend Warrior, Look For The Truth, The Pilgrim, etc.). He’s also pretty bad about self-plagiarism (Wasting Love’s guitar lead ripped from Son Of A Gun, the openings of The Talisman and The Book Of Souls closely resembling the opening of The Legacy) and band self-plagiarism (Losfer Words / Wasted Years reused in The Clansman, Shadows Of The Valley, and The Book Of Souls; Dance Of Death and Face In The Sand sharing leads, etc.). Maybe Steve was responsible for some of the band self-plagiarism, but Janick certainly contributed his share.

Don’t get me wrong, I like having 3 guitarists in a live setting so we can get rhythm + dual leads. And Janick consistently played well in St. Paul and I gave him credit for that. I just think Maiden could have done a lot better than Janick overall, and I don’t see any reason to sugar coat that. If you enjoy his antics and his tics that I view as shortcomings, more power to you.

It's crazy that this debate is still going on. The bloke has been in the band for like 30 years now. Get over it.
If “getting over it” means accepting that he’s part of the band and finding things to enjoy about his contributions, then I did that a long time ago. If it means pretending that he’s as good as the other two guitarists in the band, then I guess I’m never going to reach the level of self-delusion required to be a “trüe fän”.

My dad’s been married to his current wife for longer than he was ever married to my mother. His current wife is unbelievably annoying and he could have done much better. Have I “gotten over it” and accepted their marriage? Yes. Do I tolerate her presence at family events? Of course. Have I deluded myself into believing she’s a great person and he couldn’t have done any better? Of course not.

I really don’t understand why some people get so butthurt when you criticize any part of something they love. It’s entirely possible to love something while acknowledging its flaws. Fandom does not require blind devotion.

Right, but the problem is that not everyone thinks that Janick is a flaw. That's the thing that not everyone understands.
Well, I understand that just fine, so I’m not sure who you’re referring to.

It’s funny that Janick criticism seems to trigger so many people, while I don’t recall any of the same people getting upset when @Magnus or @John Silver wax nostalgiac about the Di’anno days (“Bruce is a goose, Di’anno’s the manno”, or something). And I’m sure there’s a Stratton originalist out there who thinks Adrian sucks. And that’s fine.

Also, the “get over it” argument could be just as easily misused to criticize people enjoying the band’s 80s albums more than their recent output (“Seventh Son came out over 30 years ago, the band’s moved on and evolved, get over it!”). It’s really an empty shell that doesn’t say anything other than “I disagree with you, so I think you should shut up.”. And that’s really the opposite of what we should want on a band discussion forum, IMO.

It’s funny that Janick criticism seems to trigger so many people, while I don’t recall any of the same people getting upset when @Magnus or @John Silver wax nostalgiac about the Di’anno days (“Bruce is a goose, Di’anno’s the manno”, or something).

I'm not nostalgic, never witnessed them days due to tender age, just happen to like them.

Last edited:
It’s funny that Janick criticism seems to trigger so many people, while I don’t recall any of the same people getting upset when @Magnus or @John Silver wax nostalgiac about the Di’anno days (“Bruce is a goose, Di’anno’s the manno”, or something). And I’m sure there’s a Stratton originalist out there who thinks Adrian sucks. And that’s fine.

We've had people around who genuinely said only Thunderstick Maiden was true Maiden and the like.

I think part of the reason why the Janick debate will never be entirely over is because there are people who knew and loved Maiden before Janick was in the band, and people who like me never knew a Maiden without Jan. To me, Jan, his antics and playing are as integral a part of Maiden as Eddie and Steve's machine gun bass. I think Jan is a great soloist, I was genuinely wowed by some of his live performances. As a matter of fact, the one guitarist I've been slightly underwhelmed by time and again is Dave. On top of his game, nobody is quite like him, but there are also other moments. For example he, likes to phone in the NOTB solo by just holding a note for the entire duration. I'm a bit surprised nobody is talking about this, actually.

He’s certainly had some strong songwriting moments (Be Quick Or Be Dead, Ghost Of The Navigator, Out Of The Silent Planet, The Talisman, The Book Of Souls), but he also tends to be involved in some of the weakest songs on the albums he’s on, too (Fear Is The Key, The Apparition, Weekend Warrior, Look For The Truth, The Pilgrim, etc.).

Sorry, but this is really a non-argument. Without getting into whether the songs you mentioned really are weak (I agree with some, disagree with others), you could say the same thing about virtually any other songwriting member of the band. For example, Adrian has been involved with some of the weaker songs too: Gangland, Sun and Steel, Back in the Village, Hooks in You, Wildest Dreams, Mother of Mercy, etc. What does that tell us?

As a matter of fact, the one guitarist I've been slightly underwhelmed by time and again is Dave. On top of his game, nobody is quite like him, but there are also other moments. For example he, likes to phone in the NOTB solo by just holding a note for the entire duration. I'm a bit surprised nobody is talking about this, actually.

I really have to agree. I was right in front of Dave at the Chicago show and thus, his guitar was loudest. His rhythm was pretty sloppy (missing the timing at a few moments) and his solos were incredibly hit or miss - sometimes great, other times completely phoned in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back