Legacy of the Beast 2018 Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
First thing I thought it was about how Phantom would not follow FTGGOG, because of the lenght...until I remembered it's almost the same lenght of FOTD. I don't know why I keep thinking Phantom as a long song. Anyway, that's a good set, although I would sway Moonchild with Aces High at the encore. I seriously doubt Bruce can sing Aces High during the encore, considering his struggles in 2013/14, but Moonchild is an easier job (not easy, but easier), and Aces High follower by 2 Minutes is bread and butter, always go well. Revelations is a good choice for the band, and would fit the first narrative Rod brought to us.

I would still place Rime as the 9th/10th song, even if FTGGOG breaks the flow a little on the 5th. Rime feels more epic and gives the band more options at stage shenanigans than FTGGOG (FTGGOG is my favorite song on AMOLAD, let that be clear. I just feel Rime as Maiden's classic epic work).

Aces High
2 Minutes to Midnight
Revelations
Brave New World
For The Greater Good of God
The Trooper
Wicker Man (I'm almost certain about Wicker Man being played, and almost certain that, if something from SiT will make an appearance, it's Wasted Years)
Run to the Hills
Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Phantom of the Opera
Fear of the Dark
Iron Maiden

If you throw FTGGOG away, you can replace it with NOTB, throw Phantom on the encore and go with another song, probably the usual deep cut Maiden brings on history tours (ATSS on Maiden England), and there I'm still on the Clansman team.

Aces High
2 Minutes to Midnight
Revelations
Brave New World
The Number of the Beast
The Trooper
Wicker Man
Run to the Hills
Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Wasted Years
Fear of the Dark
Iron Maiden

The second set you put there is probably the most boring greatest hits Maiden set there is. Apart from The Clansman and Rime there is nothing to particulary look forward to. I really hope they have more imagination than that. I also hope that Aces High won't be played, because I think it could be a bit hard on Bruce, even at the beginning.

Hey, don't blame me, I'm just the messenger :D

The second set you put there is probably the most boring greatest hits Maiden set there is. Apart from The Clansman and Rime there is nothing to particulary look forward to. I really hope they have more imagination than that. I also hope that Aces High won't be played, because I think it could be a bit hard on Bruce, even at the beginning.

Well, I try to be unimaginative, because that's how I see Steve making the set. The ME tour, for an example: they threw one unexpected deep cut (ATSS), two very expected (Seventh Son and The Prisioner) and went through the safe road on the rest of the setlist. SBiT also followed that line. I see Maiden as a band that likes playing new content, loves to show new work, but it's not fond of bringing back 4-5 surprises on every non-album tour. In fact, I felt more surprised with the TBoS and, thinking back, the TFF tour than on the ME and SBiT. I'm trying to be realistic, if I was making a set based on my desires, there's not a single chance I would drop Dance of Death, not even for Trooper or another classic.

The reason I said the band had teased FTGGOG is because not only was it in the initial teaser, but around the same time they also posted a Spotify link to it on their Facebook. And while admittedly it was because people were asking for the name of the song, I'd still say that's a pretty strong indication it's in the running.

That said, right now the only songs I'd consider likely are the ones in the other ad, and only one of those is even remotely surprising so yeah. I'm not expecting anything groundbreaking. It'd be a miracle if we got even one true rarity, there's just too many popular 80s numbers they could play instead of something they barely ever do like SIASL or 22AA.

Hell, I'd argue modern era "deep cuts" like Ghost of the Navigator, Paschendale or BTATS honestly have a better chance of getting played. The latter two solely because of how much Bruce likes them.

For the Greater Good of God could easily be early in the setlist. Fourth or fifth. They played The Talisman as the fourth song in 2011.

Powerslave will almost certainly not be played. But if we model the set after TBOS tour (replacing songs with greatest hits songs) and put Rime and FTGGOG in TRATB and TBOS places, we can get something like this:

Moonchild (IESF)
2 Minutes To Midnight (SOL)
Revelations (COTD)
Brave New World (TOAC)
Rime Of The Ancient Mariner (TRATB )
The Trooper
Stranger In A Strange Land (Powerslave)
Run To The Hills (DOG)
For The Greater Good Of God (TBOS)
Phantom Of The Opera (HBTN)
Fear Of The Dark
Iron Maiden

+3 encores (one of them TNOTB )

That would work.
Hmm, I'm gonna say this would be pretty cool, but I'd change Moonchild to Aces High (it's the more likely option) and throw in The Wicker Man somewhere. Hell, maybe in the encore. That'd be at least slightly unusual, NOTB, TETMD and The Wicker Man or something. Also replace SIASL with a reunion era track of similar length. Or maybe DoG because we're never getting away from the damn monkeys.

Guys what about Mother Russia :D - naaahhh , they never gonna play something from NPFTD album !

As for the -> FTGGOG - I think it might be the only epic in the tour - hope I'm wrong , but hey, that's a fantastic song and perfectly for the Three Amigos o_O

Hmm, I'm gonna say this would be pretty cool, but I'd change Moonchild to Aces High (it's the more likely option) and throw in The Wicker Man somewhere. Hell, maybe in the encore. That'd be at least slightly unusual, NOTB, TETMD and The Wicker Man or something. Also replace SIASL with a reunion era track of similar length. Or maybe DoG because we're never getting away from the damn monkeys.

The reasons why I put Moonchild instead of Aces High:

-The first 3 songs are the same as SBIT tour, which is a bit boring.
-I don't believe that Bruce can belt out Aces High at 60 during the whole tour, like he did in 2008 (but the man always surprises us, so...).

The reason I went for SIASL:
It's likely that Nicko will suggest this song during the rehearsals (or even before) along with 22 Accacia Avenue, which is the only "classic" from TNOTB that has not been performed in more than 10 years. I hope they listen to Nicko, because I would gladly take either.

SIASL and FTGGOG would be awesome, and in domain of doable. I fear that neither will be played, and that both Moonchild and Aces High will be in. What bothers me the most is that these have been basically overplayed in last 10 years, both have been played on all 4 legs of history tours that've been done since 2008. And Aces High is constantly losing power since 1999 (when it was at higher level than in 84/5).

They have several mid paced songs from the multi platinum albums that were played live and worked, Stranger and 22AA already mentioned, Still Life, Flight of Icarus, Sea Of Madness...but they're not going to reach for them I'm afraid. Personally I'd love to see To Tame A Land live played sometime before they call it quits but not keeping any hopes up.

Re: Aces High, I agree, Bruce probably won't be able to deliver it well at all, and very likely not consistently. But at the same time, it's in the tour teaser and it's a very, very popular song. Moonchild would be far better, but I feel like they don't want to play it as the opener again, since the ME tour is even more recent than SBiT (which will literally be 10/9 years old by next year anyway) and it's nowhere near as popular. But yeah, just about anything other than Aces High would be a far more sane pick (with the possible exception of CSiT or Where Eagles Dare, but, well, yeah), I agree. I just think it's likely going to be played.

22AA and SIASL would both be very doable, and the band really should take the opportunity and just play both. But honestly? SIASL was played three times in '99, then dropped for good. I don't think the band likes the song. 22AA was on the '03 tour and it was okay, but I feel like if they were gonna replay it, it would've happened in '05 and definitely in '07. But it's been MIA ever since, leading me to believe it's in the same pile as SIASL. Yeah, technically there's no reason they couldn't be included, but there's been so many obvious opportunities to play both and it just hasn't happened, leading me to believe Nicko was straight up lying about there not being a reason they haven't played 'em recently.

Maiden posted a Spotify link to flight of Icarus on Facebook today. That’s the second track they’ve posted after for the greater good of god since the tour was announced. Hope it’s a sign they are being played!!!

Maiden posted a Spotify link to flight of Icarus on Facebook today. That’s the second track they’ve posted after for the greater good of god since the tour was announced. Hope it’s a sign they are being played!!!

Considering that Bruce is making setlists those days and he loves this song, I'd say it's quite possible (there were also hints in the tour illustration). Would be a great show closer.

The reasons why I put Moonchild instead of Aces High:

-The first 3 songs are the same as SBIT tour, which is a bit boring.
-I don't believe that Bruce can belt out Aces High at 60 during the whole tour, like he did in 2008 (but the man always surprises us, so...).

The reason I went for SIASL:
It's likely that Nicko will suggest this song during the rehearsals (or even before) along with 22 Accacia Avenue, which is the only "classic" from TNOTB that has not been performed in more than 10 years. I hope they listen to Nicko, because I would gladly take either.

But Aces High is a very strong candidate for being in the setlist, and I don't think Bruce'll be able to play it on an encore opener. Moonchild, however, is achievable at the end of the concert. I mean, they could play Aces High at the middle of the set, but this is a very unorthodox thinking, so...nah. The set would resemble SBiT, yes, but, next year, it'll have been 10 years since the SBiT began. It's a lot of time, so it's not like they're just on copy and past mode from the TBoS or ME tour.

About SIASL, I agree completely with Ruflux. I think it's on the same box as 22AA, Flight of Icarus and Die With Your Boots On as "cool songs, easy to play, but the whole band can't agree on something so, instead of fighting, we'll just drop it". Someone spoke about Paschendale, for me, they consider Paschendale along with BTATS, Infinite Dreams and Caught Somewhere in Time as "cool songs, we like them, but they're challenging, it could derail, so we really don't want the extra work". While I was typing this Flight of Icarus news came. As far as I remember, it was a hotly debated issue with Adrian and Steve about the cadence of the song, and they dropped to avoid an incident. If they worked through it...it would fit perfectly as the usual deep cut. A short song, easy to play, easy to sing (compared to, let's say, Aces High) easy for the casual fan to catch and a favorite of the hardcore fan. Fits well at the beginning, ending or at the encore. The perfect suspect.

I’m hoping they will do one song per album on this tour, but it’s highly unlikely...
But of course the post about Flight of icarus on their facebook page is a clue for next tour I think.

Flight of Icarus would be a massive surprise, considering it last got played once or twice in '86 and that's it. I'd welcome it with open arms, but I am a little concerned history might repeat itself and it gets dropped midway. That said, there's oh so many ways they could convince Steve the original tempo is fine and that it should be included, including appealing to things like added difficulty for Bruce to sing it if it's sped up or Nicko wanting a slower breather song in the set. I don't think it's impossible, in fact it feels more possible now that they have reason to want something easy in the set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back