Language topic

I'm curious as to why it's all so different. I can definitely see why everyone is so confused. I guess maybe we'll never know for sure but it is really interesting to see the different names and terminology for such things. Not just biscuits/scones/cookies etc. but in general. You learn a lot from being on a forum with members that are from different parts of the world. It's really cool.

Definitely, "cookies" is the one I'm most interested in. Turns out it comes from the dutch word "koekje". I guess this is a good question for Foro, do you call this a koekje?
800px-2Cookies.jpg

I wonder why it's different in the UK.

Actually, until today I had no idea they weren't called cookies in the UK.

Interesting, here in Australia, the picture that Mosh posted is officially called a biscuit but most people refer to them as "cookies".

Scones are the below picture (most people cut them in half and then put like jam or cream etc. on them) and are fairly common here.
art_IMG_4563.jpg

The picture that Moon Child posted on the previous page with the fruit and nuts would be called a biscuit as well, but if it was a bit softer than a scone, then it would be called a muffin. And then there's all the English muffins and other things like that here, but I guess I'll leave it at that to not divert the discussion too much.

We have English muffins here too, they look like this:
english-muffins-main2.jpg

Apparently these are just called "muffins" in the UK? What are these then?
733px-Muffin_NIH.jpg

Yep, that first picture is an English muffin. And the second one is the more common form of muffin here. The main point is that all the muffins are softer than biscuits/cookies or scones.

It's possibly a regional thing. I mean, what I've known to be a biscuit would be this:
Biscuit.png

While some other place may call them something different.

Scones are different here it seems:

CranberryWalnutScones3.jpg

They are usually made to be more sweeter to the taste and some have fruit or nuts in them. While biscuits are more of a flakey bread.

We have scones both with and without raisins(/currants/sultanas/whatever) in them. A slightly different mixture that makes them more solid and less soft are 'Rock Cakes'.

We have English muffins here too, they look like this:
english-muffins-main2.jpg

Apparently these are just called "muffins" in the UK? What are these then?
733px-Muffin_NIH.jpg

The closest I could put to the top one is a crumpet, although they tend to be slightly flatter. The bottom is a Muffin.

Also, by trading standards the difference in a biscuit and a cake is that biscuits go soft when they go off, and cakes go hard.

Definitely, "cookies" is the one I'm most interested in. Turns out it comes from the dutch word "koekje". I guess this is a good question for Foro, do you call this a koekje?
800px-2Cookies.jpg

We call those things cookies, but all cookies are biscuits.

800px-2Cookies.jpg

Yes sir. But koek or koekje is the "main" term and there are different ones.

These cookies look pretty American. They are with chocolate right?
We call those things cookies, but all cookies are biscuits.
Not really, at least not out here. I'd say we see biscuit as one type of cookies, and you probably have different biscuits as well.

These flat cookies you (can) call biscuits but they have their own name on the package:

Attachments

• upload_2014-1-5_13-25-19.jpeg
    upload_2014-1-5_13-25-19.jpeg
    1.4 KB · Views: 3
Yes sir. But koek or koekje is the "main" term and there are different ones.

These cookies look pretty American. They are with chocolate right?

Not really, at least not out here. I'd say we see biscuit as one type of cookies, and you probably have different biscuits as well.

These flat cookies you (can) call biscuits but they have their own name on the package:

To me they are all biscuits, but would never be called cookies ^^

Actually, I should explain it better.

Here, a biscuit is a sort of cookies and we have a synonym for a biscuit, namely the term "kaakje".

Biscuit or kaakje: a cookie that is crispy, light of colour and dry.

We call what you've posted Bisküvi, which is obviously biscuits. The term we use for cookies is Kurabiye but these two terms are never used to refer to each other, they're seperate.

These are cookies and are not biscuits here:

neskafeli-kurabiye-resim.jpg

Tahinli-Kurabiye-Tarifi.jpg

This is what I think...

SCOTLAND:

Biscuit:
If it's hard/crunchy/solid --it's pretty much a biscuit. A biscuit selection might include little cookies.

Cookies:
These are just a type of biscuit. The could be small, but might be of the big Starbucks/Costa Coffee variety.

Scones:
Scones are scones. To me, scones are just a "cakey" bit of bread. They wouldn't normally be eaten on their own; you'd normally put something on them.

"English" Muffin:
The one you'd maybe toast & spread butter on; you wouldn't just eat it on its own. To me, it's a little roll; a piece of bread.

Muffin:
I'd consider this an "American" muffin, as I only noticed these when American-style coffee shops proliferated here. However, I'm sure we've been eating them here (& in in Europe) for years. To be eaten on its own.

However, what about the great "roll & sausage" debate!? :D

A "roll with sausages in it":
upload_2014-1-5_12-46-50.jpeg

A "roll & sausage" please:
(I'd ask for a "roll & slice" [as in "slice sausage"])

A "sausage roll":

Back