Language topic

People are different. To me, very few things sound more repulsive than French and it doesn't matter how sweet the person is.

People are different. To me, very few things sound more repulsive than French and it doesn't matter how sweet the person is.

That's because of their arrogance :p. I wouldn't like Spanish very much if my only exposure to it had come from Argentina! Zing! ;)

You're wrong. It's because of their phonetic system - their diphthongs, their method of vowel articulation and their guttoral rhotic consonant. I wouldn't be as arrogant as to project my aural perceptions onto individuals, let alone whole nations.

I love French. Most beautiful language I've heard. Very sensitive and subtle. There's a certain melody ringing to it.

They are very similar but it doesn't sound foul to me in German, it only does in French. I guess that's because of the other factors that create the whole environment.

I like pretending to talk in French because of the guttural usage. I can't speak any French but it's fun to impersonate French people. I'm probably going to be learning French next year, though.

They are very similar but it doesn't sound foul to me in German, it only does in French. I guess that's because of the other factors that create its whole environment.

It does sound pretty ugly when followed by a diphthong such as /œj/, but on the other hand, that is probably the single most ugly diphthong there is. And since that is a common one in French, I have to give you a point there, despite liking the language overall.

Would any of you give me some words where this happens (e.g. on YouTube). I am not so familiar with the terms but would like to hear what you mean.

Last edited:
You're wrong. It's because of their phonetic system - their diphthongs, their method of vowel articulation and their guttoral rhotic consonant. I wouldn't be as arrogant as to project my aural perceptions onto individuals, let alone whole nations.

Meh, I still like my story better :p

@Dr. Eddies Wingman years ago, you posted some vid from Kristopher Schau, playbacking Wim Sonneveld.

Here part two of "Norwegians doing Dutch". ;--)

(at this moment of posting, I haven't heard it all well yet, but will do later)

German does it again...

aAYXK10_460s.jpg

The word Hospital does exist in German, but it is an older term for a beadhouse.

Back