Language topic

Stop messing with the guy, Cried.

This is the first time I've heard of a scone. You can't find something like that here.

Yes, cookies are a type of biscuit but in America all biscuits are called cookies and scones are called biscuits.
That's fucking dumb. If all biscuits are called cookies, and scones are called biscuits --WHAT ARE CALLED SCONES?!! :nuts:

We don't call scones biscuits out here. We just call them scones, but they're not very common in the US so I could see how most would just think they're biscuits. The whole thing is very confusing so to simplify:

UK Scone = US Scone
UK Biscuit = US Cookie
UK Tea Biscuit = US Biscuit

UK Scone = US Scone
UK Biscuit = US Cookie
UK Tea Biscuit = US Biscuit
US Biscuit = UK Scone

We're back at the beginning. The confusion continues. :).

But that's not true. We use "biscuit" to describe a UK "tea biscuit". We don't use it for scones, which again aren't very common out here anyway.

Edit: Nevermind

Well it'd be cool if Moon Child jumped in then. She's from the east coast and sometimes terms differ from coast to coast. I'm not sure if that's the case here though, I figured they were called scones everywhere.

Check out the etymology for scones too, was just glancing at the wiki page. Is "tea biscuit" not a common term in the UK? I've never seen the UK biscuit in the second link's picture out here, but I suppose we would call that a cookie.

The thing with scones is that they're very uncommon out here. I see them in coffee houses sometimes and that's it. So the problem is that when you show most Americans a scone, they're probably not going to know what it is and they're just going to think it's a biscuit. But if you wanted to order a scone out here, you would ask for a scone.

I posted Foro's 2nd link earlier. :)

I've always known them as biscuits. I'm not sure if this is the same for the entire east coast. Maybe Pennsylvania as a state may refer to them as that but my whole life, I've always known them to be biscuits. They're mainly associated with breakfast foods too. Also, I'm pretty sure scones and biscuits are considered to be different.

That's strange, I'd expect the east coast to use closer terminology to the UK than the west. I've never been in the east though so I could be way off. But like you said, could be a state thing too.

It's possibly a regional thing. I mean, what I've known to be a biscuit would be this:
Biscuit.png

While some other place may call them something different.

Scones are different here it seems:

CranberryWalnutScones3.jpg

They are usually made to be more sweeter to the taste and some have fruit or nuts in them. While biscuits are more of a flakey bread.

Back