Language topic

I'm actually thinking, if you get something at a discount, you're not really entitled to disappointment or demands.
That did cross my mind and why I'm not too upset about it. At least I didn't pay "full" price. But I don't ENTIRELY agree with you. There was zero indication this would happen. The store is in English, the game description is in English, it makes no mention of the possibility of being in other languages, ALL my other downloads are in English... so I'm sorry, I am entitled to a little disappointment.

That's how online stores work, though. Amazon Prime films are only available dubbed in Germany. It sucks, I agree, but there's nothing to be done about it.

That's how online stores work, though. Amazon Prime films are only available dubbed in Germany. It sucks, I agree, but there's nothing to be done about it.
I only started buying online recently, last.... 2 years or so, thus I wasn't aware of that. I used to hate buying online for that very reason. You don't know what you're getting, what if it gets lost/stolen, etc. However not having a vehicle and living fairly far away from everything made browsing the digital store very convinient. Add the pandemic lockdowns and I came to really like it. This has been my only sour experience so far. Definitely a learning experience and thankfully not an expensive one.

I forget if it was Balearon or Mav, who on the Commentary talked about getting a forgery of a Maiden collectible... THAT sucked. I admit I probably over reacted due to my anticipation and hype around the product. Again, lesson learned.

Weird that you can't choose your language. I often can pick between 4-5x languages here in games.

I for one loathe localization. English motherfucker, speak it, or get the fuck away from the computer.

I also don't need stuff such as Castilian, Basque, Azerbajani string data and voice overs in the products I purchase and download.

My boss sent me a Word document this week which had already been edited by some project partners in Spain. The default language of the document ended up being in Catalan so whenever I tried to add a caption for a figure the label was in Catalan. It took me a while to figure out how to change the default language as I'd never encountered this problem before.

I for one loathe localization.

I share the sentiment. Most Turkish localizations of English material are cringe-inducing. YouTube does it on popular videos sometimes and it's awful. It probably annoys me more than the average person because it's my field of work, too.

Same here. Everybody asks me why I set up all my devices in English, and my response usually is "Because the German always reads like it's translated from English."

"Smells of translation", as we like to call it.

Reminds me of the localization of early NES games. Like, Winner is you," or "Billy and Bimmy," in Double Dragon III. It wasn't game breaking back then due to no voice acting and few cutscenes. Now though... Oh man, some can suck. AC Syndicate had French Characters speak in British accents when They had no issues giving Ezio an Italian accent.

Most Turkish localizations of English material are cringe-inducing.

As is Croatian "tech" lexicon.

But the bullshit really comes to surface when you can't deal with acronyms and have to mix English acroynms with native language. In order to establish connectivity with a gadget, you might run into stuff such as WPA, WPS, DHCP, acronyms containing very descriptive pharses that won't be localized.

Same here. Everybody asks me why I set up all my devices in English, and my response usually is "Because the German always reads like it's translated from English."

Well that's a reverse example but it is true. I still remember a time long ago when I ran into german Windows, I was bedazzled but managed to do what I was supposed to.

Am I weird or is the thought that something as interesting and cute and cool as this

was actually broadcast on TV really, really thrilling?

So I started (casually) learning some Russian and it feels like the world is losing a little of its light every day for me.

Back