Language topic

10002829_10151917859875443_1566428178_n.jpg

That's not true at all. In Bulgarian, if you say "Da, da", it shows doubt, disagreement and sometimes mockery.

"Jaja" can be the same in German, actually. It means "bite me".

Noone is gonna use a word like that in Turkey. Turkish is an agglutinating language, you can go anywhere by adding a lot of affixes.

But I'll tell you an untranslatable one myself: Lan. It's possibly the most common interjection in Turkish language. Impossible to translate. Its current usage is far away from its original meaning. Lan's longer version is Ulan, which comes from Oğlan, a word that means "Son". Current usage has nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm quite surprised by the Bulgarian entry as well, because it can quite literally be translated as "abroad." There are other words without any literal translation though, such as "takova". It means something like "like this" and can be used to substitute any word that you can't immediately think of, regardless of what part of speech it is.

I'm pretty sure the Estonian word cannot be translated into English but it can be translated into Russian and quite surely something else.

Back