KISS

Bruce Kulick is Ace's favorite replacement of him. I agree, Kulick is a very good guitarist.

''Of all the guitar players that have taken my place in KISS, Bruce by far blows them all away, as far as I'm concerned. When Tommy gets up there and does my solos, he tries to play 'em note for note, but he doesn't have the swagger or the attitude. Bruce used to play my solos, but he'd kind of make 'em his own, and he'd switch notes a little, and he had some originality.''

Last edited:
Yeah Kulick is quite good. His live performances with the band were great as well. For me it's a tough draw between him and Vinnie Vincent

My favorite Kiss album is Alive! Favorite song is Rock Bottom (awesome guitar solo). After The Elder I lost interest in the band.

Hot In the Shade is perhaps the best Kiss tour. Fantastic setlist, great stage, and the band had a ton of energy. Revenge comes close as well, for similar reasons, but I think Hot In the Shade has a slight edge. It feels like the band is actually trying to earn it, instead of going through the motions or desperately trying to catch on to some trend. Funnily enough, the album Hot In the Shade is the total opposite. Half assed, literally unfinished songs and a couple desperate attempts at hit singles (Forever, Hide Your Heart). I actually really like Crazy Nights for what it is.

Hot In The Shade has too many songs, but some are great (Forever, Hide Your Heart, Silver Spoon, King Of Hearts).

I also like Crazy Nights (the title track, I'll Fight Hell To Hold You, Reason To Live, Turn On The Night) - to think about, there are many great bonus songs or songs written around that era which could have been on the album.... Gene wrote 20-25 songs for the album!

Time Traveler (written for the album, released in the KISS Box Set 2001)
Sword And Stone (written for the album by Paul and Bruce, later given to the band Bonfire)
(You Make Me) Rock Hard (probably written around that era, released in a compilation album in 1988)
Eyes Of Love & Somebody's Waiting (probably written around that era, released on Eric Carr solo album in 1999)
Dial 'L' For Love (written for the album by Gene and Eric, released as an instrumental)

''Are You Always That Hot'', ''Boomerang'' (from HITS '89 album), ''X' Mark The Spot'', ''Scratch And Sniff'', ''What Goes Up'', ''Hunger For Love'', ''Dirty Blonde'', ''No Mercy'' - unreleased songs written around that era.

I don't like KISS that much. But I'm definitely going to catch that concert. 50 cameras. 40 bucks? No problems.

I expect them to use some vocal tracks though, since that's what they struggle with. You get more leeway when you're in front of an actual physical audience. Stanley's recent level of vocal performance isn't good enough for a paid stream.

I expect them to use some vocal tracks though, since that's what they struggle with. You get more leeway when you're in front of an actual physical audience. Stanley's recent level of vocal performance isn't good enough for a paid stream.
When I saw them 35 years ago in 2019 they used vocal tracks for almost everything Paul did.

Is this one of those "Back to the Future" situations? :D
So they have reached that level now.
By all accounts they reached it at least 5-10 years ago. I wasn't upset or anything, it's not like I went to see KISS for the music. I went for the awesome stage show - and it was an awesome stage show. Easily the best non-Maiden show I've ever seen.

I can’t remember if I posted about it here, but I saw Maiden and Kiss back to back in 2019. It was a pretty stark contrast. Maybe they’re the second best stage show after Maiden (I’m not sure if that’s true), but there’s a pretty wide gulf between the two. I had a good time though.

KISS is more lights, fireworks etc than Maiden, while Maiden relies more heavily on stage sets/props - or is that a wrong assumption?

I won't be watching the KISS stream on New Years but if it turns up on YouTube afterwards or somewhere else I am too curious not to watch it :D

I don't like KISS that much. But I'm definitely going to catch that concert. 50 cameras. 40 bucks? No problems.

I paid 40 bucks for 4 Bad Religion streamed shows (altogether). One concert for each decade they were active in. Very rewarding.

I can’t remember if I posted about it here, but I saw Maiden and Kiss back to back in 2019. It was a pretty stark contrast. Maybe they’re the second best stage show after Maiden (I’m not sure if that’s true), but there’s a pretty wide gulf between the two. I had a good time though.
I kind of feel in comparing the two as live acts one's stage show is more to compensate (especially within the last decade) while the other's is more to complement.

I’m not entirely sure if that’s true, given Kiss’ history. The live show has always been noteworthy, but the music side of things was very tight for most of the band’s first 20 years. There may have been times where the live show was the main draw, and it definitely made Kiss a cut above the average 70s rock band in terms of fame, but I wouldn’t consider it compensating. Around 2000, the musical quality of the band takes a pretty big dip and they become weaker as performers. The live show continues to get more bombastic every time, but that has been the case throughout their history.

I don't like Kiss. I don't dislike them that much either, it's just that 70s American music tends to escape me. Simmons is a character that I didn't like but nowadays I find him amusing and kinda hilarious in a positive sense. Also the guy put down some great bass lines, so he's not all makeup.

Back