Judas Priest

So far, I think it's much better than Redeemer of Souls and even Nostradamus, which I was never that high on. Maybe two or three songs could have been cut to make it more concise, but overall a very good album and a fun summary of what made Judas Priest into the band it is (maybe was?). If they call it quits after this, it's a decent place to end.

Reactions: Gk1
In your opinion. Plenty of people would disagree with that.

Fair enough. But a lot people also agree. People that have nothing to gain from a "bad" Maiden album,people that would be full of joy if Maiden managed to show some more dexterity. At least I got Magnus on my side. :cheers:

So far, I think it's much better than Redeemer of Souls and even Nostradamus, which I was never that high on. Maybe two or three songs could have been cut to make it more concise, but overall a very good album and a fun summary of what made Judas Priest into the band it is (maybe was?). If they call it quits after this, it's a decent place to end.

I think we also need to point out the INCREDIBLE production and sound too. I always said that Andy needs to produce a Maiden album.

Does anyone find Guardians (the shortest song on Firepower) very reminiscent of the looooongest song on Iron Maiden's most recent?

Does anyone find Guardians (the shortest song on Firepower) very reminiscent of the looooongest song on Iron Maiden's most recent?
Apart from the very short sequence G-F#-E-D-E, which might as well appear in 50% hard rock/heavy tracks (possibly in other keys, granted), not precisely. ;)

Last edited:
I am not saying it is a Beckett-level controversy, but Empire immediately flooded to mind at least through the first few bars.

Lone Wolf guitar riff sounds very Metallicaesque. I want to hear Maiden album produced by Sneap. First choice would be Roy Z. With all due respect, they must say goodbye to Shirley, imho.

I think the only album that comes close to Firepower post-Painkiller is AoR. Jugulator is underrated, albeit too inconsistent to rank highly on my rankings.

I agree with LC, this would be a good place to maybe call it a day, especially with what Tipton's dealing with. Hill and Halford are the only two originals left, and if Halford's not done, he can always do some solo stuff.

Currently enjoying Firepower very much on first listen. Very straightforward and snappy, a nice nod to old school Priest, with some lovely if short guitar moments in there too. I do think the production sounds less 'recorded in broom cupboard' than most Priest stuff, which has to be good thing.

It's a nice record, just a little safe and straightforward(which everyone does nowadays it seems). I can see why Painkiller fans think it the best since then, but I prefer the other reunion albums. Deeper lows but greater highs. Early days so it may grow-love the title track.

I would absolutely love Andy Sneap to produce a maiden album, albeit with no influence from Steve to try and capture that “live sound” as he seems so obsessed with.

This whole albums sounds fantastic from a production point of view. Crunchy loud guitars and a nice clean sound with all the instruments and vocals given enough room to shine with nothing being hidden or drowned out with the muddy sound that the previous album had.

Plus Andy and Tom have gotten a fantastic performance from Halford. Obviously his voice has lost a step or two over the years but listening to this album he seems really energised and it’s almost like he’s turned the clock back 20 years!

Overall a great album and some of the songs are so infectious that I’ve had to keep them on repeat. No surrender in particular will be a brilliant love song I hope

I would gladly accept Priest sticking around for a few more years if they can make another album like this. It’s a shame about Glen but if he can still play on the next album if they do one then that’s good enough for me and Andy will be a good live replacement.

Reactions: Gk1
The whole album sounds very familiar. I'm not going to blast them for that, because they always get their most negative criticism when they try to do something new. I've read a lot of people saying that it's a nice 'best of' of their career, and I agree. One of the tracks has a very strong Stained Class feel to it, which I like.

After listening to the album several times... It is not the best ever Priest album, but, gosh, production is great. It elevates music to new heights. Guitar sound rocks. Maiden do something!

Back