Judas Priest

Still this: Rob quit the band, came back and no one said a word. K.K. quit and is thrashed for thinking he could/should return.

are-you-fucking-serious-mang.jpg

He LEFT the band abruptly before the Epitaph tour and retired. What part of that don't you understand?

K.K. would not be the first musician who quit and later wanted to continue. We don't know what exactly happened and why he made such an abrupt decision.
I can only guess he was very frustrated about something. It's something very deep because the man seems very bitter and hurt in that statement.

I can see why the band didn't consider/want him to come back, but I do see why he still might have thought/hoped to return, in certain circumstances. If he wanted to return he should at least have tried to contact, and see how things click. Maybe he still wanted to but the timing of it all was very difficult. There was virtually no time in between Glenn deciding to stop and announcing a replacement.

So, in that regard, I don't think K.K. could have contacted the band himself about rejoining. He didn't want to bump into a happy family with Faulkner. But I guess he sure would have wanted to return (and make a good timing with his interest) if one of the guitarists would leave. Now Glenn left, but also his replacement was announced immediately. Someone else. K.K.'s earlier statements, slamming the band's performance (from the time he still was in it) plus the looming threat of his upcoming biography, might have contributed to the decision to not invite K.K.

Again, I sincerely think K.K. fucked it up with his "publications". There's something very naive about it. If he ever hoped to return, however unexpected, this is not going to work.

So there must be some explanation for his behaviour. I cannot judge well why he left, although I can imagine some good reasons. But I also see why Priest did not want him back as soon as Glenn said he stopped playing live. Both sides must have made the other angry. Stiff upper lips and British Steel: not a good combination for solving problems, I'm afraid.

Last edited:
To me, it sounds like Tipton can't deal with the fact that he made a decision which people take seriously.

To me, it sounds like Tipton can't deal with the fact that he made a decision which people take seriously.

Assume you mean Downing (and his decision to retire) here?

That aside: I think it is a weird thing of Downing to say, that they should've invited him to rejoin, when he not only was the one to leave voluntarily (he wasn't kicked out) but also has stated, in interviews, that he had very concrete reasons for his decision to leave, not just "needed a break" or "things didn't feel right". For the band, the natural assumption would be that KK had retired and wouldn't be interested in rejoining anyway. Thus, when it was clear Tipton couldn't tour, they would of course look for a replacement who was motivated.

One thing we don't know is how much contact there's been between KK Downing and the band for the last years. If they've been regularly in touch, KK would've known that Tipton maybe saw the end of his touring career approaching. If that's the case, KK should surely have told that from his side, a return wouldn't be out of the question. But this is the part that will remain hidden until someone speaks out.

Probably, at this moment Downing is madly editing his biography, I bet.

When we talk without amend, we see red, and then
Deep inside the blood begins to boil
Like a tiger in the cage
We begin to shake with rage

That article is pretty editorialized. I recommend checking out the actual video and hear the words straight from Rob's mouth:
He's a lot less angry and antagonistic than what the article implies.

This whole thing is pretty unfortunate though and gives another reason why they should've quit while they were ahead. Assuming this is the last tour, it kinda sucks that this is how they'll be going out. With two core members gone and a publicly aired dispute.

Btw @MrKnickerbocker have you thought about opening a separate thread for the discussion on the Priest albums? I'm enjoying it but it's probably going to keep getting buried with a new tour and album out in a few weeks. We had a discography discussion before (which was never finished) and you could use that thread if you want: https://forum.maidenfans.com/thread...ulator-98-live-meltdown-1997-98.27134/page-20

Btw @MrKnickerbocker have you thought about opening a separate thread for the discussion on the Priest albums? I'm enjoying it but it's probably going to keep getting buried with a new tour and album out in a few weeks. We had a discography discussion before (which was never finished) and you could use that thread if you want: https://forum.maidenfans.com/thread...ulator-98-live-meltdown-1997-98.27134/page-20

I could use that one, sure! Can you just change the name to "Discography Discussion" so we don't have to keep updating the title?

Here's the latest update to the drama: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/k-...-played-glenn-tiptons-guitar-parts-in-studio/
Former JUDAS PRIEST guitarist K.K. Downing says that he never meant to insinuate that producer Andy Sneap played Glenn Tipton's guitar parts during the making of the band's new album, "Firepower".

Two weeks after Tipton announced that he was retiring from the road due to his battle with Parkinson's disease, Downing released a statement in which he said that he was "shocked and stunned" that he wasn't approached to rejoin the band and suggested that Sneap's "contribution to the new JUDAS PRIEST album was much more than just as a producer." His comments appeared to get a rise out of JUDAS PRIEST singer Rob Halford, who fired back that "a lot" of K.K.'s statement was "completely superfluous" and dismissed as "a thousand percent false" the idea that Tipton didn't personally lay down all of his guitar work on "Firepower".

Earlier today, Downing released a follow-up statement in which he said he wanted to "clarify" his original comments as he felt that "parts" of them were "regretfully misinterpreted."

Downing said: "Just to clarify that my complimenting Andy Sneap as I did was no more than I would have said about any other guitar-playing producers that have also contributed much more than expected to our past albums. Great talent such as Chris Tsangarides (R.I.P) and Roy Z both not only produced, but also contributed song ideas, riffs and licks, lyric ideas etc. Consequently, albums like 'Painkiller' and 'Angel Of Retribution' would not have been the same without them. Even George Martin, I believe, provided much more for THE BEATLES than just the role of a normal producer. An extra musician in the studio, like the aforementioned talented producers, really does bring a great benefit."

My hopeful setlist:

1.Firepower
2.Metal Gods
3.Lightning Strikes
4.Victim of Changes
5.Exciter
6.Sinner
7.Never the Heroes
8.Freewheel Burning
9.Beyond the Realms of Death
10.The Sentinel
11.Delivering the Goods
12.Breaking the Law
13.Hell Bent for Leather
Encore
14.The Hellion/Electric Eye
15.You've Got Another Thing Comin'
Encore 2
16.Tyrant
17.Living After Midnight

I just hope they do The Ripper since that's the biggest song of theirs I haven't heard live. Also something other than Painkiller and Night Crawler from Painkiller would be cool. I guess Screaming For Vengeance too since they did it on the last tour.

I love Painkiller but I really don't want to hear it live again. Rob always sounds awful on it. The guitar solos are also always insanely sloppy but I guess at this point that doesn't really matter anymore.

Some unrealistic choices on that setlist but they would actually be appropriate picks. There are a lot of songs from the 70s that wouldn't be as demanding for Rob and would be great deep cuts, such as Tyrant.

Back