Judas Priest

I don't like March of the Damned, not as much as Redeemer of Souls. The vocals here bother me a lot more (Ozzy voice with no power put it). And damn, it's sad to see Glenn Tipton talk that commercial talk at the beginning (really simple, straightforward etc (it's not supposed to be like that)). At least there's some lead guitar work thrown in there + one cool rhythm riff, otherwise the song would be pointless.

I'll say it again though. I too find the vocals a bit uninspired. I get it, Halford doesn't want to throw in screams as he has enough on his plate pulling off as many of the screams in the old songs live. But I really wish he'd use his Grinder voice instead. He's perfectly capable of doing that. But somehow he thinks clean mid range singing is appropriate.

First time I've heard the song all the way through. I like it. Real Metal Gods vibe.
Then again, I like this Hell Bent/British Steel side of Priest (and I think Yax is the same way) and we haven't heard much of it in recent years. I'd be happy with an album that leans to this style.

Vocals are meh, but I liked the solo (Faulkner?) and I really like the main riff and the overall groove.

There's 18 songs boys. You'll get something on there that's a little more up your alley.

I'd be interested to hear just for kicks how Ripper Owens would perform on these songs. Even though the two albums with him sucked, he's still capable of delivering those high pitched screams and he's the closest thing to Halford pretty much.

Redeemer of Souls would be a helluva lot better with a scream at the end of the chorus.

Jugulator was awesome. Shitty lyrics on most of the songs, but the music was kickass.

Demolition had a few groovy tunes too, but I skip about half the album when I listen to it. Funny thing is, What's My Name which was a japanese bonus, is one of the three strongest tracks.

I tried to like Jugulator, I really did. I was really interested in listening to it because it was really heavy and dark from what I'd read and had a more Pantera/groove feel to it.

It just sounded like a giant mess to me with nothing really standing out, and the production didn't help either. Ripper's still a great singer though.

Each to his own, of course. The track that seems to be generally the most liked by non Ripper fans in my eyes, is

Oh wow, I just listened to the Tipton intro to MotD again and he's saying: "March of the Damned is not really one of my favourite songs...". I thought he was saying precisely the opposite. I'm glad.

Judas Priest is one of those almost universally loved bands that I never got into. I can see their influence clearly, even on bands that I do like, but you won't see me headbanging to British Steel.

I really, really like the song "Reckless" from Turbo, but other than that? (Would have been cool on the Top Gun Soundtrack if they had not refused...)

You and me seem to be the only ones with this opinion, Maturin. Glad to see there's someone else around here who feels the same way as me!

From: http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=25204

Heavy-metal trailblazers Judas Priest will headline Fun Fun Fun Fest this fall as their first announced date of an U.S. tour in support of their upcoming record, Redeemer of Souls. It's their first concert since they completed their Epitaph Tour, their final full-on world tour and also stands as the group's first performance in Austin in 25 years. The group will issue what frontman Rob Halford told Rolling Stone was a "very heavy record," their 17th, on July 15th.

Oh wow, I just listened to the Tipton intro to MotD again and he's saying: "March of the Damned is not really one of my favourite songs...". I thought he was saying precisely the opposite. I'm glad.

I think all the leads on the song are played by Ritchie, so that could be why it's not one of his favourites. :p

I think the best thing about the song, is how Ritchie tries to capture the spirit of K.K. on the solo. It's not as jagged as an actual KK solo, but he's definitely going for that vibe. :) The vocals are a weak spot, mainly because I don't like the effects on them, and they remind me too much of latter day Ozzy.

I think all the leads on the song are played by Ritchie, so that could be why it's not one of his favourites. :p

I think the best thing about the song, is how Ritchie tries to capture the spirit of K.K. on the solo. It's not as jagged as an actual KK solo, but he's definitely going for that vibe. :) The vocals are a weak spot, mainly because I don't like the effects on them, and they remind me too much of latter day Ozzy.

Actually his leads on MotD have very slight Tipton influences as well, but after all, Glenn is pretty much an all-round guy. And to be a smartarse: he's Richie, not Ritchie :smartarse:.

This has me confused a little. "U.S. tour in support of their new album..." and "their final full-on world tour". Which one is it then?
I would be more than happy if I could see them live before it's too late.

Actually his leads on MotD have slight Tipton influences as well, but after all, Glenn is pretty much an all-round guy. And to be a smartarse: he's Richie, not Ritchie :smartarse:.

I didn't really think they sounded much like Glenn at all, which is why I'm assuming the leads are Richie's... About the spelling, I see it spelled the two different ways all the time, so I'm never sure exactly how his name is spelled. :p

I didn't really think they sounded much like Glenn at all, which is why I'm assuming the leads are Richie's... About the spelling, I see it spelled the two different ways all the time, so I'm never sure exactly how his name is spelled. :p

Now that I listened to it again, yeap, not so much. Definitely more KK-ish.

Back