Judas Priest

No classic, but I like it. Could have easily fit in on Made of Metal.
Hopefully it's like the song The Final Frontier was to that album for Maiden— a very basic rocker suitable for a teaser before the full album arrives, but not indicative of what the entire album will be like. Every album needs a song like that.

That was my first thought, although I've had that hope for songs in the past (not Priest, just in general) and it's turned out to be the actual sound. If it turns out to be correct it will boost the song quite a bit, although still not anywhere near their best :(
The song won't sound like a perfectly different mix mind you. It will sound more pristine though. I do think that the guitars are a couple of dB too low in level and the vocals a decibel or so too up front. That makes the vocals come off worse than they are. I mean the vocals aren't bad at all. They are just a bit uninspired, like Rob's rendition of Man On The Silver Mountain. It's mostly the chorus that suffers. Had he sang it in Grinder style it would've been great.

"Sometimes in the past we may have come under fire for being too adventurous musically – so we have listened,"
:huh: What a dumb attitude.
Indeed. Haha, that statement by Glenn was exactly something I thought Priest would say (and basicially portayed by my statement in other words, hehehehe).

mine:
We didn't dare to make another out of the order record like Nostradamus (remember this album? we promised to play it live but chickened out). This time no risks, no surprises. We decided to play it safe and present something we know all fans will love: an album that combines the calmer atmospheric moments of Sad Wings of Destiny with the production and heaviness of Painkiller... ...

Glenn:
Glenn Tipton said that fans should not expect wild experimentation. "Sometimes in the past we may have come under fire for being too adventurous musically – so we have listened," he said. "From start to finish, 'Redeemer Of Souls' is 18 songs of pure classic PRIEST metal."

Haven't heard the song yet. Will do now.

EDIT:
Not a bad song but what strikes me the most is that I miss some fire. Check this out:
or this:
It's not Priest, but I find these much more thrilling (and much less tame performances). What a difference.

Last edited:
I tried fixing the shitty production by remastering the song myself. I meddled with the EQ to get rid of that muddy sound and boosted the treble frequencies to give the guitars a more crisp and pronounced sound, because the bass+drums are just clogging up the whole thing on the original. Vocals are clearer and better too IMO.

Song here: http://chirb.it/0wOOzB

After repeated listens, it's got a nice melody, and Travis is doing some interesting things with with his kit.
And there are some nice guitar parts in there too.
But, like Foro says, it is very safe - sonically and in its composition and performances.
Rapid Fire comes up on my playlist right afterward and that really emphasizes that.

I tried fixing the shitty production by remastering the song myself. I meddled with the EQ to get rid of that muddy sound and boosted the treble frequencies to give the guitars a more crisp and pronounced sound, because the bass+drums are just clogging up the whole thing on the original. Vocals are clearer and better too IMO.

Song here: http://chirb.it/0wOOzB

Certainly sounds better, but it's still very muddy. There's just no definition in the original recording/mix at all. You've done a better job than their professional engineer, kudos!

Certainly sounds better, but it's still very muddy. There's just no definition in the original recording/mix at all. You've done a better job than their professional engineer, kudos!

Not sure if professional engineer, we'll see. Nostradamus and Jugulator were produced by Glenn Tipton and KK Downing and these are some of their worst-sounding albums. Don't know why they let them do the mixing work. As good as they are with their instruments, producing doesn't seem to be their thing.

I honestly believe that all producing/mixing/mastering should be done by someone NOT in the band. No matter how hard you try to be subjective, you are simply too close to the material (and too close to your instrument). You need someone to take the reins for you. Granted, the wrong person can mess it up terribly, but self-producing hardly ever yields completely ideal results.

I honestly believe that all producing/mixing/mastering should be done by someone NOT in the band. No matter how hard you try to be subjective, you are simply too close to the material (and too close to your instrument). You need someone to take the reins for you. Granted, the wrong person can mess it up terribly, but self-producing hardly ever yields completely ideal results.

I think a pretty blatant example of this is the lifeless production on The X-Factor where Steve got a little too giddy with making his bass as LOUD AS FUCKING POSSIBLE LIKE THIS and giving the guitars a really thin and wimpy sound.

Judas Priest announces full tracklist on the upcoming Redeemer of Souls:

DRAGONAUT
REDEEMER OF SOULS
HALLS OF VALHALLA
SWORD OF DAMOCLES
MARCH OF THE DAMNED
DOWN IN FLAMES
HELL & BACK
COLD BLOODED
METALIZER
CROSSFIRE
SECRETS OF THE DEAD
BATTLE CRY
BEGINNING OF THE END

Bonus tracks:

SNAKEBITE
TEARS OF BLOOD
CREATURES
BRING IT ON
NEVER FORGET

In the tracks titles also, they don't try to be original. I've been answered once on that forum that Priest are cliché because they actually created most of the genre's clichés, but those titles are full of traditionnal Heavy Metal imagery.

The song is growing on me (still dislike the lack of vocal power in the chorus). Less chorus on the guitars though, a little bit less bass on the guitars, a slight bit more around 3-4 khz and 1.5 dB louder guitars (and maybe in turn half a dB lower vocals) and it would be a lot better. More punch on the snare (loss due to the limiting, but you could get some more snap out of it anyway) too would be nice.

Last edited:
Back