Judas Priest

Oh jeez, those vocal effects....

I for one thought Rob actually did a really good job on "Redeemer of Souls" despite his range being diminished over the years. So I don't really get why that chorus effect is really necessary on this track.

The chorus effect really is bad (like listening to Ozzy) and the song seems typical but who knows. Looks like there's guitar stuff going on etc...

I get what you are saying about the vocals, but that one had a nice British Steel -style driving riff going on.
Raised my expectations, not lowered them.

Still got that horrible choppy sound, which either means it's present on the whole album or it's bad quality upload - I suspect the latter. I think it'd sound better without the second "March of the Damned", but as above, it's raised my expectations a little.

Cover art of the new album:

bb_cover_art.jpg

Really like that, it's a progression from AoR except for the wings being more feathery like Sad Wings. Makes me wonder if the album shall be somewhere between the two.

Judas Priest is one of those almost universally loved bands that I never got into. I can see their influence clearly, even on bands that I do like, but you won't see me headbanging to British Steel.

I really, really like the song "Reckless" from Turbo, but other than that? (Would have been cool on the Top Gun Soundtrack if they had not refused...)

Judas Priest is one of those almost universally loved bands that I never got into. I can see their influence clearly, even on bands that I do like, but you won't see me headbanging to British Steel.

I really, really like the song "Reckless" from Turbo, but other than that? (Would have been cool on the Top Gun Soundtrack if they had not refused...)

Same with Black Sabbath for me. Have you listened to Painkiller? British Steel isn't anything near my favourite either.

Same with Black Sabbath for me. Have you listened to Painkiller? British Steel isn't anything near my favourite either.

British Steel definitely isn't my favorite Priest album either, but I still love it nonetheless. I'd take simple but fun classics like Living After Midnight over anything Priest recorded post-Painkiller, no joke.

Slightly better than the previous song, but still not good :( Boring drums, repetitive riff and uninspired vocals...

I disagree. But I understand where you are coming from - But remember that British Steel had simple drumming as well, and simple song structures and simple guitar parts. I think the same can be said of this song and I look at in in a positive light. British Steel is one of my favorite records.

Did Priest themselves produce this album? I've missed or forgotten this. Or wasn't it mentioned yet (by anyone, the band included).

My wife says that the song reminds her more of Black Sabbath and come to think of it, I don't think that's such a wrong thought.
The music is more like recent Sabbath (13, Heaven an Hell, or Dehumanizer). Less melodic guitars and not very interesting, less melodic soloing. And the vocals more like Ozzy.

EDIT:
What a timing Cosmic! :)

Probably taboo opinion here, but I honestly think that Ozzy sounds better on 13 than Halford on these 2 songs. Sounds like he's trying harder. Halford sounds just so lifeless, like he's using 1% of his abilities. Same goes for other members.

Plus, the whole idea of this album being "back to the roots", "no experiments", "classic Judas Priest", plus 18 recorded songs is completely putting me off. Judas Priest was never a band who recorded longwinded epic songs, or experimented a lot, but I'm still expecting much more than British Steel cloned songs. Imagine if Maiden recorded an album of 18 songs that are all based on, say, The Wicker Man, or Wasted Years.

I finally figured out what the March riff reminded me of:
Still of the Night by Whitesnake.

Back