Judas Priest

It is what it is...
His era was ripped

Both the Ripper and Bayley eras have a lot in common. Tim is a much better singer than Blaze though, IMHO. At least Maiden will still play the good Blaze songs. We will never hear Rob sing a Ripper era song.
True. But the albums with Blaze are much better than the ones with Ripper (and other Priest albums) imo. I like Blaze more as a singer, he's more distinctive. The 50th Anniversary tour is the perfect time to play a song from the Ripper era. Rob should sing the lost classic ''Cathedral Spires'' (never played live!). He said he would like to do a song from that era live (iirc), but I'm not sure if I believe him.

From Jugulator I like ''Burn In Hell'', ''Bullet Train'' and the aforementioned epic.
From Demolition I like ''Hell Is Home'', ''Close To You'', ''Bloodsuckers'', ''Feed On Me'', ''Lost And Found'' and ''Metal Messiah''.
but both albums are weak, especially compared to the overall Priest material (unlike the Blaze albums).

Blaze albums are much better (alone) than the Ripper albums.

Last edited:
I rate Ripper very highly as a vocalist. It's just unfortunate that his Priest albums are so weak. I don't really return to anything on Jugulator. Demolition at least has the great Rammstein-esque track Subterfuge.

True. But the albums with Blaze are much better than the ones with Ripper (and other Priest albums) imo. I like Blaze more as a singer, he's more distinctive. The 50th Anniversary tour is the perfect time to play a song from the Ripper era. Rob should sing the lost classic ''Cathedral Spires'' (never played live!).

From Jugulator I like ''Burn In Hell'', ''Bullet Train'' and the aforementioned epic.
From Demolition I like ''Hell Is Home'', ''Close To You'', ''Bloodsuckers'', ''Feed On Me'', ''Lost And Found'' and ''Metal Messiah''.
but both albums are weak, especially compared to the overall Priest material (unlike the Blaze albums).
Virtual XI is pitiful. This album almost tarnished Maiden's legacy. Reunion saved them.

Last edited:
I will still listen to about half of TXF, 2 songs of VXI and I never listen to the Ripper era albums anymore.
I like the Ripper Priest albums better than the Blaze Maiden albums. I listen to them in the frequency below:

Jugulator: The most. I like the brutal heaviness and the groove. Seems like the next logical place for Priest to have went after Painkiller, being angry at losing Rob, and having a new young gun in Ripper who can do things like growls better than Rob and who was eager to prove he belonged.
Demolition, though there are many good songs, there are a lot of bad ones to skip.
The X-Factor: All songs are good, maybe a little too similar to each other. Its a better, more consistent album than Demolition, but I have to find the right mood to listen. Plus Sign Of The Cross is great live with Bruce, so those versions are my go to for that song.
Virtual XI: I hardly listen to. Never really grabbed me as an album. The Clansman is great though.

Last edited:
Virtual XI is pitiful. This album almost tarnished Maiden's legacy. Reunion saved them.
I have a different opinion about the album. The failure of the album was really disappointing for Steve, but Reunion with their classic singer will save any band, right. The two Ripper albums were also not commercially successful, and if they had continued with him (especially in the style of those two albums), the failure was imminent.
Jugulator > TXF > VXI >>>>> Demolition
TXF album is in a different league.

Back