Judas Priest

According to Richie, his first metal show was Maiden in Sweden around 1997.

He probably meant 1998 (VXI tour), because Maiden were not on tour in 1997....(the only blank year for Maiden so far was 1997).
They didn't do anything publicly in 1994 either, I think.

British Steel is one of my faves. Only album that flows just as well is Painkiller.
With the exception of the pop annoyance that is Living After Midnight, there's not a single bad song there. And still features a good amount of classics like Rapid Fire, Metal Gods, Grinder and (of course) Breaking The Law. Also really love Steeler. But Painkiller is simply 100% top notch.

Sure, but neither were released or promoted by the band officially, were they?

They weren't hugely promoted but both are official releases, Maiden England was part of a series of releases from EMI I think, and the VHS of Raising Hell is definitely an official Maiden release. It's only the US DVD of Raising Hell that there is a bit of a question mark about how official it is.

The '94 reissue of Maiden England is pretty weird. It's official and it had the benefit of having an audio CD with it, but it sure looks weird. The Maiden logo is all fucked up, as if someone typed it with a Maiden font on the computer, and that had me scratch my head back when I got it.
The US DVD of Raising Hell was described to me as "semi-official" by a friend once, but he never got into details of what that meant.

The US DVD of Raising Hell was described to me as "semi-official" by a friend once, but he never got into details of what that meant.

I think it was something along the lines of the company who broadcast it on TV in the States (It was also broadcast on the BBC*) released the DVD of it in the states. So they had the rights to release the DVD but it was not released by Maiden/EMI.

* I'm pretty sure the BBC broadcast was probably 1st or 8th October 1993

Last edited:
I vaguely remember the DVD being listed on the Maiden website.

Here's an example of another item from that "sound and vision" series.

R-2648041-1384558413-8578.jpeg.jpg

ha ha, the vocals fit the chord progressions from Billie Jean really well!

EDIT: also a good connection as both tracks feature paedophiles.

Reactions: Jer
Back