15.Rapid Fire
16.Breaking the Law
17.Victim of Changes
18.Hell Bent for Leather
Encore
19.The Hellion/Electric Eye
20.You've Got Another Thing Comin'
21.Living After Midnight

Richie has said more than once that Dave Murray is one of his prime influences, but he is a big fan of Adrian too. On the question who is his favorite guitarist of the two, he answered:

''It’s always been Murray for me, but Smith's Schenker influence was always killer. Adrian's song writing is and has always been exemplary to me too.''

Great guy. He always shows respect for everyone.

Richie has said more than once that Dave Murray is one of his prime influences, but he is a big fan of Adrian too. On the question who is his favorite guitarist of the two, he answered:

''It’s always been Murray for me, but Smith's Schenker influence was always killer. Adrian's song writing is and has always been exemplary to me too.''

Great guy. He always shows respect for everyone.

He truly seems like such a genuinely nice person, which contradicts his onstage persona: which honestly feels quite egotistical.

He truly seems like such a genuinely nice person, which contradicts his onstage persona: which honestly feels quite egotistical.
I have never though of his stage antics as ego driven. He's not Vai or Malmsteen. I like that he commands the space, because Sneap is boring and Halford, while walking around with a menacing presence, is not the showman he once was. He's a 67 year old man with back problems. I think Richie is an entertainer who sort of co fronts from the side.

I have never though of his stage antics as ego driven. He's not Vai or Malmsteen. I like that he commands the space, because Sneap is boring and Halford, while walking around with a menacing presence, is not the showman he once was. He's a 67 year old man with back problems. I think Richie is an entertainer who sort of co fronts from the side.

Totally agreed. I guess it seems like showboating because the rest of the band is so boring.

Reactions: Yax
True, but it still feels "acted out", artificial (at least from the concerts I've watched and attended). Richie Faulkner provides a service in the live music industry and contractually has to act lively within the framework of his perfomance... Janick Gers or Angus Young just have a ball on stage. See the difference?

Halford, while walking around with a menacing presence, is not the showman he once was.
It must be because of the season and of his recent solo output, but I first read "snowman"...

Last edited:
Richie Faulkner provides a service in the live music industry and contractually has to act lively within the framework of his perfomance...
I don't agree with your reasoning. Are you saying Richie acts a certain way on stage because Glenn and co. has set up a blueprint they expect him to follow (or just that he acts the way he thinks he's supposed to do)? Apart from the leather look, which is the Priest uniform, I just don't see it. He hardly even used the V guitar during the Epitaph tour aside from during Victim of Changes. If they wanted him to act a certain way then surely playing the V would have been a corner stone of such a blueprint agreement. If Priest operated that way, then they'd have Ripper lose his baseball hat, stop with the shadow boxing and do his Halford moves like he did with his Priest tribue band British Steel. They made him wear a silly metal coat for Metal Gods, but that was it. He was allowed to to things his way as I'm sure Richie is now as well.

No, I'd say Richie just has evolved in his role. He is very comfortable on stage now and commands more presence to fill the void Glenn left. Just compare his style now to that of the Epitaph tour where he was a lot more laid back.

And yeah, Gers does have a ball on stage. I much prefer Richie's style though - Plays his guitar to perfection while he still manages to put on a show. Say what you want about Janick, but he only does one of those things live.

I don't agree with your reasoning. Are you saying Richie acts a certain way on stage because Glenn and co. has set up a blueprint they expect him to follow (or just that he acts the way he thinks he's supposed to do)?
It is more about me not liking his "style" which is not only his (I can think of Joel Hoekstra and the other guys from TSO for example). What I prefer (and tend to miss, although the two guitarists I have cited are older than I am) is a "rock'n'roll attitude" and a bit of anarchy on stage. I understand this opinion is not shared by everybody, but too much "professionalism" on stage mars all things derived from rock (hard rock, heavy metal, metal... included). It is a reflection on the whole metal "scene" (I should say "market"), not only on Richie Faulkner, who is probably one of the best fits Priest could have found.
(I realize I'm in a bit of a grouchy mood tonight -see "Coronavirus" thread- but don't worry, it'll pass ;) )

Rob has done a Q&A by Metal Hammer:

His Top 3 favorite vocalists: ''It’s a pretty straightforward choice. One would be Ronnie James Dio; I listen to him nearly every day. I’d have to pick my mate Bruce Dickinson from Iron Maiden, who is phenomenal. And let’s go with one from the very beginning of this form of music – Robert Plant. I’ve always enjoyed the bluesier elements of his vocals and the ‘Oooh’s and ‘Aaah’s that they threw in were important; they may not have been words but Planty taught me how to connect on an emotional basis with that type of phrasing''.

His 2 favorite albums of Priest: Sad Wings Of Destiny and British Steel

Toughest Priest song to sing live: ''Usually it's the ballads. I can really let rip on the screaming metal ones; I feel loose, free and comfortable on those.
It's a song like
''Beyond the Realms of Death'', ''Angel'' or the acoustic version of ''Diamonds and Rust'' is the most difficult. Anything that demands an enormous amount of tension becomes harder as you get older. You really have to zone in and focus more.''

Best opening band Priest had on tour: ''
I don't like using the word 'best' in that context. We had Iron Maiden open for us at the start of their career [in 1980] and they were brilliant. Saxon did the same and they were also brilliant. Oh god, there were so many.
"More recently we had Uriah Heep open up for us in America and they were brilliant. They've been around just as long as Priest and they've got a catalog of incredible songs. So there's another great example.''

My ideal setlist for the 50 heavy metal years tour:

War pigs intro
1.Let Us Prey/Call for the Priest
2.Rock Hard Ride Free
3.Sinner
4.Reckless
5.Genocide(with long guitar intro)
6.Exciter
7.Desert Plains
8.Riding on the Wind
9.Jawbreaker
10.Delivering the Goods
11.Between the Hammer and the Anvil
12.Guardians/Rising from Ruins
13.One Shot at Glory
14.Beyond the Realms of Death
15.Rapid Fire
16.Breaking the Law
17.Victim of Changes
18.Hell Bent for Leather
Encore
19.The Hellion/Electric Eye
20.You've Got Another Thing Comin'
21.Living After Midnight

Mine would be:
  1. Rapid Fire
  2. Metal Gods
  3. A Touch Of Evil
  4. Redeemer Of Souls
  5. Sinner
  6. Hell Patrol
  7. Dissident Aggressor
  8. Victim Of Changes
  9. Screaming For Vengeance
  10. The Sentinel
  11. Cathedral Spires
  12. Judas Rising
  13. Lightning Strikes
  14. Exciter
  15. Beyond The Realms Of Death
  16. Breaking The Law
  17. Tyrant

His 2 favorite albums of Priest: Sad Wings Of Destiny and British Steel
Most people probably wouldn't call British Steel one of their favourite Priest albums. It is, however, possibly the most satisfying to sing and does have Breaking The Law on it.

Most people probably wouldn't call British Steel one of their favourite Priest albums. It is, however, possibly the most satisfying to sing and does have Breaking The Law on it.

Great album (especially as a whole piece). It contains several classics for the band. I think it's not the best album of Priest, but surely it's one of my favorites from them.

According to Richie, his first metal show was Maiden in Sweden around 1997.

He probably meant 1998 (VXI tour), because Maiden were not on tour in 1997....(the only blank year for Maiden so far was 1997).

Back