Judas Priest

True, but it was played recently. Those two are the only good tracks on that album imo.

I'll also add Hot Rockin'.
Desert Plains is killer

One of the best songs from Priest - a gem!
Man, I'm super excited to see them in two days, but I gotta say:

The songs they're dusting off for this tour would be some of my last picks from their respective albums.

Enjoy the show, mate. :)

I guess with so many choices that they have, it's difficult to create a setlist and please everybody. :) I like the songs they dusting off, so far.

I really don't have much to say about their set other than their guitarist rocked. He was a treat to see.

Mick Box is a truly underrated guitarist. He's easily on the same level as Michael Schenker or Martin Barré IMHO. Then again, the same holds true for the band as a whole. They are real victims of "Classic Rock" conservatism, and more than many other bands they are identified by their early seventies output only, with the over forty years since just brushed aside. Do yourself a favour and check them out, both their seventies output and their later stuff like Sea of Light or Wake the Sleeper.

These 6/7 songs are a longtime Maiden classics. There's no option to replace:
Iron Maiden, The Number of the Beast, Hallowed be thy name, The Trooper and Fear of the Dark are always on the setlist. You could add Wrathchild and other classics are frequently played in the encores like Run to the Hills, Running Free, 2 minutes to midnight, the evil that men do, Wasted Years and you have another 5 or 6 classics more The rest 5 or 6 songs are usually from the new album. They could, but they won't change that.

These 6/7 songs are a longtime Maiden classics. There's no option to replace:
Iron Maiden, The Number of the Beast, Hallowed be thy name, The Trooper and Fear of the Dark are always on the setlist. You could add Wrathchild and other classics are frequently played in the encores like Run to the Hills, Running Free, 2 minutes to midnight, the evil that men do, Wasted Years and you have another 5 or 6 classics more The rest 5 or 6 songs are usually from the new album. They could, but they won't change that.

They really could replace those songs, though. They don't always have to play Iron Maiden or Number of the Beast and occasionally they have dropped Run to the Hills!

Taking a look at Priest's most recent tours, they definitely dig deeper and aren't scared to not play some of the hits.
They aren't playing You've Got Another Thing Comin' or Electric Eye or Painkiller or Turbo Lover and those have all been massive staples over the years. Granted, they aren't selling the kinds of venues that Maiden are, but it's still worth noting.

Certainly those songs are longtime classics because they know that are songs where the the band interact with people in the choruses and oahss, or when Bruce play with people on the right, left…all in Hallowed be thy name…Iron Maiden is a mandatory song to me. I remember when they were closing the show with Run to the Hills in Death on the Road tour 2003 in a pavillion, and it was awesome how the people we chanted the chorus. Run to the hills is another mandatory as a encore song.

I think with Priest is different. There are fresh blood in the band and all of them want experiment with their whole catalog, playing with their favorite riffs, favorite songs, favorite albums, and 3/4 longtime classics…Hell bent for leather, Painkiller, Living after Midnight, Breaking the law…

Thanks for the rec Perun, ive been playing Gypsy every now and again ever since I got back from the show. Good tune. I'll give Very Eavy, Very Umble a listen soon to see if I want to listen to more of their 70's stuff. I want to check out their modern/more recent stuff too like you were saying.

Certainly those songs are longtime classics because they know that are songs where the the band interact with people in the choruses and oahss, or when Bruce play with people on the right, left…all in Hallowed be thy name…Iron Maiden is a mandatory song to me. I remember when they were closing the show with Run to the Hills in Death on the Road tour 2003 in a pavillion, and it was awesome how the people we chanted the chorus. Run to the hills is another mandatory as a encore song.

I have always found Run to the Hills to be the perfect song to end the show!

I think with Priest is different. There are fresh blood in the band and all of them want experiment with their whole catalog, playing with their favorite riffs, favorite songs, favorite albums, and 3/4 longtime classics…Hell bent for leather, Painkiller, Living after Midnight, Breaking the law…

You also have to remember that this is the 3rd time Judas Priest have toured North America on the Firepower tour. If they did not change the setlist they would risk attracting even fewer people to their shows.

Neither of those are cheaper when you include shipping across the Atlantic. Also that's $115 Canadian.

Thanks for the rec Perun, ive been playing Gypsy every now and again ever since I got back from the show. Good tune. I'll give Very Eavy, Very Umble a listen soon to see if I want to listen to more of their 70's stuff. I want to check out their modern/more recent stuff too like you were saying.

Personally, I'd recommend Demons and Wizards as a starting point, to be honest.

As far as I'm Concerned the only 3 must plays in Maiden's reportoire are Number Of The Beast, Trooper and Iron Maiden. And notice that only one of these songs is one of my all times favorites (NOTB). All the rest could be replaceable. On the other hand Judas Priest have more albums and more hits (at least the following: The Ripper, Victim Of Changes, BTROD, Green Manalishi, Hell Bent, Breaking The Law, Living After Midnight, Metal Gods, Grinder, Electric Eye, YGATC, The Sentinel, Turbo Lover, Painkiller) and still can manage to change the majority of their set each tour they make. No excuses.

Back