Judas Priest

To be honest, I'd rather have a fixed setlist for the tour so everybody gets to see the same show (most people just go to one show) than facing a situation like going to see Metallica and getting The Memory Remains instead of Creeping Death, as happened to my brother recently! :lol:
:D Yes, that's Russian Roulette indeed.

To be honest, I'd rather have a fixed setlist for the tour so everybody gets to see the same show (most people just go to one show) than facing a situation like going to see Metallica and getting The Memory Remains instead of Creeping Death, as happened to my brother recently! :lol:

Same here. Most of all because the band will simply get better at performing these songs every night instead of pulling out something they're still iffy on. I'd rather see the same setlist for a whole tour and have the whole band confident as hell on every song.

I was just going to make this point. Maiden clearly feels like every person who pays for a ticket, whether they're in Talinn or Montreal or Sao Paolo should get the same experience to the best of their ability, so that nobody feels like they were left out.

Maiden deliever a very rehearsed and studied show each time but they make sure that it's a powerful package and a spectacle from start to finish.

I don't think they could ever operate like Metallica for example. Metallica plays more loose on stage and aren't afraid of gambling with the flow of the show.

I was talking about changes made to the setlist from one tour to the next, not within the same tour
Exactly my point also. To strengthen that since 1992 regarding different tours supporting new album releases, Iron Maiden normally play the same tunes (if we don't count the ones from the album they're promoting).
To be honest, I'd rather have a fixed setlist for the tour so everybody gets to see the same show
Again I must concur. My beef is with the lack of rotation of old songs from tour to tour. I'm also of the opinion that a band should keep pratically the same setlist during an entire tour for the very reasons you mentioned.

Last edited:
And regarding that since 1992 regarding different tours supporting new album releases, Iron Maiden normally play the same tunes (if we don't count the ones from the album they're promoting).

In most cases since the reunion the setlists have changed significantly from one tour to the next and some album tours have featured songs that were not the usual staples (e.g. Can I play with Madness and Lord of the Flies on the DOD tour, Children of the Damned and Powerslave on the TBOS tour).

Let's focus on the songs played on album tours since the reunion that had not been played on the previous album tour. I start the comparison using the Brave New World tour setlist as the reference, considering that it was the starting point of the album tours with the current (and definitive) line-up:

Dance of Death 2003/2004 tour (8 songs): Can I Play with Madness (first time played live in over a decade), Lord of the Flies and 6 songs off Dance of Death. You could add Run to the Hills to that list too, as it was played on a very limited number of occasions on the Brave New World Tour.
A Matter of Life and Death 2006 tour (12 songs): 2 Minutes to Midnight, The Evil that Men Do and 10 songs off A Matter of Life and Death.
The Final Frontier tour: if you consider the 2010 tour, they played 11 songs that had not been played live on the previous album tour (The Wicker Man, Ghost of the Navigator, Wrathchild, El Dorado, Dance of Death, Blood Brothers, Wildest Dreams, No More Lies, Brave New World, The Number of the Beast, Running Free); if you ignore the 2010 tour and focus on the 2011 tour, that number is also 11 songs (Dance of Death, The Trooper, The Wicker Man, Blood Brothers, The Number of the Beast, Running Free and 5 songs off The Final Frontier).
The Book of Souls tour (9 songs when compared to the 2011 tour): Children of the Damned (not played on an album tour since 1987 with the exception of the 3 charity shows in 2002 and the short run of shows on the A Matter of the Beast tour in 2007), Powerslave (not played on an album tour since 1985), Wasted Years (not played on an album tour since 1993) and 6 songs off the new album.

It is pretty clear that they do not normally play the same tunes, even though some of the classics are played more often than others. Having seen the band live 33 times since 1996, the only song I have seen them play at each gig is Iron Maiden. ;)

Last edited:
Same here. Most of all because the band will simply get better at performing these songs every night instead of pulling out something they're still iffy on. I'd rather see the same setlist for a whole tour and have the whole band confident as hell on every song.

Exactly.

I've never seen Maiden have an iffy gig and that's after seeing them 27 times. I've seen Priest 5 times and they weren't great twice, blown off the stage by Scorpions and Kiss on those occassions. To tell the truth on a third occassion even though Priest were good and playing rare tracks, Ozzy blew them off the stage playing the same old songs he always plays.

Exactly my point also. And regarding that since 1992 regarding different tours supporting new album releases, Iron Maiden normally play the same tunes (if we don't count the ones from the album they're promoting).

I've seen ever tour since 1993 bar VXI. On all bar one tour we got at least one track I was hearing live for the first time, and the exception tour was really a second leg of a tour. Granted a lot of those tracks were new tracks, but there has been quite a lot of old tracks that count as rareties so the idea that Maiden stick to old favourites is unfair.

(tracks that were not new but that I was hearing for the first time are highlighted in red)

1993 - the whole set was new for me
1995 - Man on the Edge, Wrathchild, Lord of the Flies, Fortunes of War, Blood on the World's Hands, The Aftermath, Sign of the Cross, Edge of Darkness
1998 - missed the tour
1999 - Aces High, The Clansman, Killers, Futureal, Powerslave, Phantom,
2000 - Wickerman, Ghost of the Navigator, Brave New World, Blood Brothers, The Mercenary, Dream of Mirrors
2003 GMETID - Die with your Boots On, Revelations, 22 Acacia Avenue, Wildest Dreams
2003 DOD - Can I Play With Madness, Dance of Death, Rainmaker, Paschendale, No More Lies, Journeyman
2005 - Murders in the Rue Morgue, Another Life, Where Eagles Dare, Running Free, Drifter
2006 - All of Amolad
2007 - Children of the Damned
2008 - Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Moonchild
2010 - El Dorado
2011 - Final Frontier, Talisman, Coming Home, When the Wild Wind Blows
2013 - The Prisoner, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
2014 - Nothing new as second leg of the tour, but saying that they swapped ATSS for Revelations and dropped the Clairvoyant and swapped Running Free for Sanctuary
2016 - If Eternity Should Fail, Speed of Light, Tears of a Clown, The Red and The Black, Death or Glory, The Book of Souls,
2017 - The Great Unknown
2018 - Flight of Icarus

if we don't count the ones from the album they're promoting
Seems like people missed a line in my previous post,
the idea that Maiden stick to old favourites is unfair.

So let's see what songs they played in each album tour since 1995 (with the exception new songs) and see how many songs they spent more than 7 years without playing it shall we?
  • The X Factour (1995): Regarding old tunes, nothing new compared with what they picked in the last 7 years
  • Virtual XI Tour (1998): Also nothing new with the exception of Murders In The Rue Morgue (1st time in 14 years! too bad it was only featured in a handful of shows)
  • BNW Tour: Although lacking blasts from the past they played Sign Of The Cross and The Clansman and that was amazing because (almost) everyone wanted to know how they sounded like with Bruce singing. In a couple of shows they also played Children Of The Damned (1st time in 14 years!)
  • Death On The Road (2003): Brought back Can I Play With Madness (1st time in 10 years ) and Bruce sang Lord Of The Flies for the 1st time.
  • AMOLAD Tour (2006): Played the entirity of their new album (once again it takes a lot of courage to do that despite the considerable number of fans that always wanna hear the same old hits). So it would be unfair to say the band didn't recover any blast from the past since the vast majority of the set was dedicated to the new album. On the second leg hey included once again Children Of The Damned.
  • The Final Frontier Tour (2010): Only Blood Brothers (1st time in 9 years if we don't count the 2010 concerts)
  • The Book Of Souls Tour (2016): Brought back Powerslave (1st time in 8 years), Wasted Years (1st time in 8 years) and Children Of The Damned (1st time in 9 years)

Now let's analyse the other tours:
  • Reunion (1999): Amazing setlist... because it was voted online BY THE FANS!
  • GMHTID (2003): Now this one was probably the best setlist the band came out with. New songs inserted in the setlist were BYDTTS (10 years since last apperence), DWYBO (13 years), Revelations (18 years!!!) and 22 Accacia Avenue (13 years). Great Setlist!
  • Early Years (2005): Stellar concert and they payed a lot of old songs. Nevertheless they caught flak because they didn't play Fear Of The Dark.... Geeeezzzzz.........WHAT WERE THEY SUPPOSED TO DO IN A SETLIST DEDICATED TO THEIR FIRST 4 ALBUMS?
  • Somewhere Back In Time (2008): So what they were supposed to do? In the following tour dedicated to classic albums (the period between Powerslave and Seventh Son) just play Fear Of The Dark, dedicate only half of the show to those records and ignore everything from SIT except Wasted Years and Heaven Can Wait!!!! Lame! At least they managed to recover Moonchild and Rime Of The Ancient Mariner from the myst of time and play Aces High and Powerslave once again
  • Best of the 2000's? (2010): Blood Brothers was the only exception since it wasn't played since BNW tour
  • Maiden England (2013): Same problem than in SBIT. A tour that was intended to celebrate that epic recording didn't featured Infinite Dreams, Killers and Still Life. At least they had the decency to play all the other 7th son songs and recover Phantom Of The Opera and ATTS.
  • Legacy Of The Beast (2018): Great setlist. They recovered Where Eagles Dare (1st time in 13 years), The Wicker Man (1st time in 8 years), Sign Of The Cross (1st time in 17 years), The Clansman (1st time in 15 years), For The Greater Good Of God (1st time in 11 years) and of course a major blast from the past Flight Of Icarus (1st time in 31 years !!!!)

Now in a span of 25 years just check how many times the following NINE songs were played:
  • Iron Maiden
  • Wrathchild
  • The Number Of The Beast
  • Run To The Hills
  • Hallowed Be Thy Name
  • The Trooper
  • 2 Minutes To Midnight
  • The Evil That Men Do
  • Fear Of The Dark
The point I wanna make is that these songs are featured in aproximatelly 90% of those shows and for a band with a catalogue as rich and has vast as Maiden's I find it reaaaaaaaaaaaaly limitative. Hey... but y'all know: opinions.

Last edited:
Now in a span of 25 years just check how many times the following NINE songs were played:
  • Iron Maiden
  • Wrathchild
  • The Number Of The Beast
  • Run To The Hills
  • Hallowed Be Thy Name
  • The Trooper
  • 2 Minutes To Midnight
  • The Evil That Men Do
  • Fear Of The Dark
The point I wanna make is that these songs are featured in aproximatelly 90% of those shows and for a band with a catalogue as rich and has vast as Maiden's I find it reaaaaaaaaaaaaly limitative. Hey... but y'all know: opinions.

You need to check your maths mate! ;)

Iron Maiden: always played
Wrathchild was not played on the following tours: GMETID (2003), AMOLAD (2006), SBIT (2008), TFF (2011), ME (2012-2013), TBOS (2016), LOTB (2018).
The Number of the Beast was not played on the AMOLAD tour (2006).
Run to the Hills was not played on the following tours: BNW (2000), AMOLAD (2006), TFF (2010-2011), TBOS (2016-2017).
Hallowed be Thy Name was not played on the following tours: ME (2012-2014), TBOS (2017).
The Trooper was not played on the following tours: AMOLAD (2006), TFF (2010).
2 Minutes to Midnight was not played on the following tours: DOD (2003-2004), The Early Days (2005), TFF (2010), TBOS (2016-2017)
The Evil That Men Do was not played on the following tours: GMETID (2013), DOD (2003-2004), The Early Days (2005), TFF (2010), TBOS (2016-2017)
Fear of the Dark was not played on The Early Days tour (2005)

You could argue that Iron Maiden, The Number of the Beast, The Trooper and Fear of the Dark have been played a lot, but the other songs you have mentioned have been given a rest quite often (in some cases, like Run to the Hills and 2 Minutes to Midnight, too often if you ask me).

And now, back on topic:

Iron Maiden: always played
Wrathchild was not played on the following tours: GMETID (2003), AMOLAD (2006), SBIT (2008), TFF (2011), ME (2012-2013), TBOS (2016), LOTB (2018).
The Number of the Beast was not played on the AMOLAD tour (2006).
Run to the Hills was not played on the following tours: BNW (2000), AMOLAD (2006), TFF (2010-2011), TBOS (2016-2017).
Hallowed be Thy Name was not played on the following tours: ME (2012-2014), TBOS (2017).
The Trooper was not played on the following tours: AMOLAD (2006), TFF (2010).
2 Minutes to Midnight was not played on the following tours: DOD (2003-2004), The Early Days (2005), TFF (2010), TBOS (2016-2017)
The Evil That Men Do was not played on the following tours: GMETID (2013), DOD (2003-2004), The Early Days (2005), TFF (2010), TBOS (2016-2017)
Fear of the Dark was not played on The Early Days tour (2005)

Well... If you think those are not enough times what can I say?
By the way speaking of math: Wrathchild, RTTH, NOTB, HBTN, The Trooper and 2 Minutes were played in the 2nd leg of AMOLAD tour. HBTN was played on the majority of TBOS tour and Wrathchild was played on the second leg. RTTH was pllayed in some concerts during the 2nd leg of BNW tour. And once again... playing TETMD, FOTD and 2 Minutes on a setlist dedicated to their 1st 4 records? Ok
But even if the scenario you painted above was right I think it's still redundant as hell and strongly centered on that group of songs. But once again if you don't agree what can I say? Opinions.

Back