Judas Priest Studio Album Survivor: Painkiller wins !

Satisfied?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm really surprised at Killing Machine being so far out in front to be voted off in this round. I did vote for it, but it is mostly a fine album which is only hurt by a small amount of average-mediocre tracks. There are a lot of great songs on that album though, even if it's lacking the sheer creative genius of it's 3 predecessors. :)

I like Killing Machine but when I want to hear Priest I'm rarely drawn to it. The other albums (minus Stained Class) on the list are all albums I listen to frequently.

I'm not trying to protect anything at this point. So far none of my favorites are in danger.

I think it is used (at least by a few of us) to protect Jugulator and/or Angel of Retribution.

In my case, I actually do prefer Jugulator and AOR, as they are more consistent albums than Killing Machine. The great tracks on Killing Machine are total Priest classics, but the fillers on it definitely bring it down a notch or two. It also suffers because most of their other 70's work was so awesome, it fails to live up to the monumental standards set by those works.

About British Steel, it is a very good album, but it is a little bit overrated, perhaps the most overrated album in Priest's catalogue. I do love it, but there are a few other Priest albums I love even more. It's certainly not the magnum opus that many people claim it is in the Priest canon...

Kinda like NOTB, basic essential metal but once you get past them you'll find that there's a lot better material in the bands' catalog.
With that said, I still really enjoy both albums, except Beast a little moreso.

About British Steel, it is a very good album, but it is a little bit overrated, perhaps the most overrated album in Priest's catalogue. I do love it, but there are a few other Priest albums I love even more. It's certainly not the magnum opus that many people claim it is in the Priest canon...

Actually, you will find most people on here agree with you.
I'm not one of them :p

Exactly. Most people here are not over the moon with British Steel. I am one of the few who loves it and I even hold it higher in regard than Screaming for Vengeance and some seventies stuff.

Last edited:
One non-Halford album reaches the top 10:

Jugulator had more votes than Killing Machine in the last round (round 6).

10. Jugulator (1997)
11. Nostradamus (2008)
12. Ram it Down (1988)
13. Turbo (1986)

14. Rocka Rolla (1974)
15. Point of Entry (1981)
16. Demolition (2001)

FSR.jpg

Hey everybody, I am afraid I have some confession to make. I might have used "my" own rules in a wrong way. Maybe @Night Prowler and @Mosh can shine their light on it as well:

In case of a tie I did:

1: number of votes an album got in the last round.

However, now I realize that this rule was probably meant as the first thing to do: when there is no tie.

I saw "last round" as the "last round before the tie occurred". Still following me? ;-)

Perhaps it's better that I continue this the way I have been doing, in order to stay consequent. By the way, I see some advantages of this method because it's less work and it also might represent the recent situation better. On the other hand, counting votes in all rounds combined gives less predictable results.

Took me a while to figure out what you meant by all this :p Not to worry, that's how I used to break the ties when I started hosting the Survivors.

Whenever I say I find British Steel to be overrated, I think a lot of people assume that I'm not a fan of the album, which isn't true in the slightest. There is a general consensus, especially in the metal media, that it is the band's best album, which I don't agree with, and why I say I find it overrated. But it is a very good album, and I love most of the songs on it. It only illustrates the strength of Priest's catalogue, that it isn't in my top 5 Priest albums.

Back