Judas Priest Discography Discussion (part 2 starting page 20)

It's Turdo! It blows!
I've always liked Reckless and Locked In.
The title and Cold have decent atmospheres, especially live.
Hot For Love held some weird fascination back In the day.
I'm being generous of course.
PG and Property are THE WORST in their entire catalogue. Vile.

I was over critical on Defenders as I loved it in '84. Still hate the drum sound though.

It's Turdo! It blows!
I've always liked Reckless and Locked In.
The title and Cold have decent atmospheres, especially live.
Hot For Love held some weird fascination back In the day.
I'm being generous of course.
PG and Property are THE WORST in their entire catalogue. Vile.

I was over critical on Defenders as I loved it in '84. Still hate the drum sound though.
Drum sound is worse on the next album. Which also has crappier tracks. As crappy lyrics, worse music.

And one really special song I'm very curious what you'll think of it. Priest's suspenseful masterpiece.

Does it rhyme with Mud Bread Pies...?

The title track also has probably the best (maybe tied with Hellrider) solo trade off in all of Priests discography.

Painkiller is horribly overrated...

tenor.gif

Reckless is a tasty slice of catchy energetic Priest - a short basic rocker with great riffs, solos and melodies. One wonders why it didn’t get the Mutt Lange production treatment (Twisted Sister as produced by the Cars is brilliant) but at the same time grateful. It’s a killer track.

Locked In, Hot For Love, Out in the Cold, and, to a lesser extent, Private Property have the same potential given some British Steel production, arrangements and lyrics. You can see Priest in there behind the perm.

Wild Nights, Guidance, and World are pretty much irredeemable.

Turbo Lover on the other hand is shockingly brilliant. It doesn’t have the Priest crunch, but it shows their exquisite grasp of melody and their ability to create musical drama and tension. It doesn’t wallow in the studio trickery, it uses it to create music. And it avoids the hair metal cliches and is different then anything else Priest, or anyone else, was doing. There’s a reason it is the one song from this album to endure.

Circling back to Point if Entry, I can get on board with criticisms like dad rock, middle of the road and edgeless, but I don’t see it as complacent or lazy at all. Rather it is compact, and thoughtfully crafted, full of 3- and 4-minute throughly professional, conventional hard rock songs, many of which try to bring in some thoughtful musical mid-sections without ever dragging things out.

Some of the songs are pedestrian, but none of them are outright bad and the sound is excellent. It’s just that Priest is supposed to be an over-dramatic, epic, aggressively edgy band performing the soundtrack to a galactic apocalypse. Metal heads like our music over-the-top, and overall it’s...bland.

Bonus points to the sweeping grandeur of Solar Angels and the understated glass of smooth scotch that is Turning Circles for their impeccable atmosphere. Heading Out To The Highway and Desert Plains are 10s in my book - driving road songs bookending joy and freedom with fear and desperation. Hard rock doesn’t get better than this.

I’m always up for a bit of commercial hard rock, so I really quite like Turbo. Locked In really rocks and has a great guitar solo, while I find Private Property, Reckless, Hot for Love and Wild Nights to be real fund commercial hard rock tracks. Great for blasting out the car stereo with the windows down on a hot day. Out in the Cold I rate as a stone cold classic.

On the other hand I really hate Parental Guidance due to the lyrics, but it just sounds like a teenage kid complaining about how hard done by they are. Compared to Megadeth’s Hook In Mouth, on the same subject it just pales in comparison. While I don’t really get the love for the track, Turbo Lover, for me it just goes nowhere, but the band seem to like it, as it is the one they still play to this day.

The absolute album highlight though is Rob Halford’s commercial for it ...

Circling back to Point if Entry, I can get on board with criticisms like dad rock, middle of the road and edgeless, but I don’t see it as complacent or lazy at all. Rather it is compact, and thoughtfully crafted, full of 3- and 4-minute throughly professional, conventional hard rock songs, many of which try to bring in some thoughtful musical mid-sections without ever dragging things out.

Some of the songs are pedestrian, but none of them are outright bad and the sound is excellent. It’s just that Priest is supposed to be an over-dramatic, epic, aggressively edgy band performing the soundtrack to a galactic apocalypse. Metal heads like our music over-the-top, and overall it’s...bland.

Bonus points to the sweeping grandeur of Solar Angels and the understated glass of smooth scotch that is Turning Circles for their impeccable atmosphere. Heading Out To The Highway and Desert Plains are 10s in my book - driving road songs bookending joy and freedom with fear and desperation. Hard rock doesn’t get better than this.
I gave this album a listening session the other day and I'd say the only weaker songs (not even very bad indeed) are the middle three on side B: You Say Yes, All the Way and Troubleshooter.

I gave this album a listening session the other day and I'd say the only weaker songs (not even very bad indeed) are the middle three on side B: You Say Yes, All the Way and Troubleshooter.

I do admire your ability to nitpick through every minute detail and yet still remain very positive in your opinions. Personally, I find those songs to be mostly terrible, with You Say Yes being the worst offender and having some of the dumbest, most trite lyrics in the discography.

Priest...Live! is awesome. These "live" recordings are so much better than the majority of the albums. First four tracks are great, especially Out in The Cold and Metal Gods (without the terrible "metallic" backing vocals from the studio recording). Unfortunately, the bad songs (Love Bites, Private Property, Rock Around the World, Parental Guidance) don't get better for me here. Turbo Lover is cool because of the lack of over-production.

Definitely a superior recording to Unleashed in the East, but an inferior setlist.

It sounds like a sacrilegious idea, but Priest.. Live! adds guitar solos to the live versions of Breaking the Law & Heading Out to the Highway that work very well!

I don't care for the whammy bar masturbation during the intro to Freewheel Burning, but if you watch the video concert version of Priest...Live!, you will find out the intro to FB on the audio cd is actually taken from the intro to Hell Bent For Leather. FB on the video concert version has the same intro as the studio version

Back