Judas Priest Discography Discussion (part 2 starting page 20)

I owned this live double album before I knew Turbo. When I heard the latter I found that they chose the weakest songs for the (main part of the) tour and album.
Locked In was not on the LP (only on the video version) and can be heard here

Read this:
The version of "Heading Out to the Highway" on this album includes separate guitar solos by K. K. Downing and Glenn Tipton that were not on the original studio version, while the performance of "Breaking the Law" includes an additional Downing solo.

The album was first released on 21 June 1987 as a 2-LP set in a gatefold sleeve with artwork inners. It was re-released as part of the 2001 'The Re-Masters' series and includes three live bonus tracks.

The live video was recorded in its entirety at the Reunion Arena in Dallas on 27 June 1986, and was released on Betamax, VHS and LaserDisc in 1987. The video includes the songs "Locked In", "Desert Plains", "The Green Manalishi (With the Two Prong Crown)" and "Hell Bent for Leather", which were left off the original vinyl/cassette/CD release, and was certified Gold in February 1988. The video for this concert was featured on the Judas Priest DVD Electric Eye in 2003.

Watching the video of the whole concert is a weird experience. As if Halford is younger than on the 4 years earlier recorded Live video. So much energy. His voice, his movement. Also dancing at some point. I think he was very into it. It had been an intense and dramatic time for him. His partner had committed suicide in front of him, he got into rehab, got clean and made a strong recovery. His live performances during the Turbo tour, the Fuel for Life Tour, were described as some of his strongest ever.

Last edited:
It sounds like a sacrilegious idea, but Priest.. Live! adds guitar solos to the live versions of Breaking the Law & Heading Out to the Highway that work very well!

I don't care for the whammy bar masturbation during the intro to Freewheel Burning, but if you watch the video concert version of Priest...Live!, you will find out the intro to FB on the audio cd is actually taken from the intro to Hell Bent For Leather. FB on the video concert version has the same intro as the studio version

That's really cool! I noticed the extra solo in Breaking the Law, but I'll have to listen again on Highway.

Watching the video of the whole concert is a weird experience. As if Halford is younger than on the 4 years earlier recorded Live video. So much energy. His movement. Also dancing at some point. I think he was very into it. It had been an intense and dramatic time for him. His partner had committed suicide in front of him, he got into rehab, got clean and made a strong recovery.

That's terrible, I didn't know that! Glad he recovered and his voice seems in great shape in this era.

His partner had committed suicide in front of him, he got into rehab, got clean and made a strong recovery.

I had no idea - where did he discuss this?
Sure adds more weight to “25 Years”

Also, I started thinking about the last time I listened to Priest Live and suddenly realized I no longer have my CD. And probably haven’t for a very long time.
Didn’t ever listen to it much.

Never seen a live version of Locked In before, good find Foro! It's amazing how Glenn makes that incredible solo look so easy. Also the guitar line in the chorus is incredible, very hard to hear that in the studio version.

Ram It Down is literally an album full of my lyrical nightmare.

I think Blood Red Skies has some pretty cool lyrics (definitely The Terminator inspired, which is a plus), but yeah, the rest are pretty corny.

Anyone know what gear Glenn and KK were using for this album? The guitar tone sounds faker than fake, a shame because the playing is incredible.

Anyone know what gear Glenn and KK were using for this album? The guitar tone sounds faker than fake, a shame because the playing is incredible.

I had that same thought! I looked it up and the drums are definitely fake (and definitely sound like it), so it wouldn't shock me if the guitars were just direct input from a rack distortion to the board.

I had that same thought! I looked it up and the drums are definitely fake (and definitely sound like it), so it wouldn't shock me if the guitars were just direct input from a rack distortion to the board.

I'm sure I read somewhere that they were using a processor called a Rockman or Rocktron, something along those lines, but I forget if that was for this album or Turbo.

EDIT:

Apparently they were using a Scholz Rockman for Ram it Down and Painkiller, though Painkiller sounds far better. Maybe it was the production making it sound so fake?

Found this video, sounds pretty similar to the RID tone.

Last edited:
Blade Runner !

I've only seen Blade Runner the once so I can't really comment on that, but the lyrics just scream Terminator to me:

Cybernetic heartbeat
Digital precise
Pneumatic fingers nearly had me in their vice

tumblr_o361kmxNE71s7xfipo8_400.gif

Through a shattered city, watched by laser eyes

original1-600x259.jpg

Overhead the night squad glides
The decaying paradise

latest

Automatic sniper
With computer sights
Scans the bleak horizon for its victim of the night

Kyle Reese: You stay down by day, but at night, you can move around. The H-K's use infrared so you still have to watch out.

As the end is drawing near
Standing proud, I won't give in to fear
As I die a legend will be born
I will stand, I will fight

Kyle Reese: But there was one man who taught us to fight, to storm the wire of the camps, to smash those metal motherfuckers into junk. He turned it around. He brought us back from the brink. His name is Connor. John Connor.

Ram It Down (1988)

Jpramitdown.JPG

Ram It Down – A piercing scream shatters the silence of synthesized garbage that was Turbo and we’re treated to a kickass Priest song right off the bat. The return to fast-paced riffing metal is incredibly welcome and I’m very much onboard with this tune. The lyrics are very stupid “rockin’ rock” lyrics, but they manage to not be entirely terrible and the frenetic pace really carries them through. Rob sounds great, Halford sounds even better. I really hate the stadium pandering with the “shout it out” part, but thank Dio for those vocal shrieks and numerous guitar solos. This song is cool. Not perfect, but cool. 8/10

Heavy Metal – Fuck me, is this song actually called “Heavy Metal”? Welp, here we go. The intro solo is wanky and kind of pointless, but at least it’s not a synthesizer. The first lyric is “power chord”? Immediately I’m done with this song. The lyrics here are atrociously lazy, lame, and completely boring; I hate them with a fiery passion. I really hope Halford doesn’t keep singing the word “guitar” throughout this album…The bridge is cool, but the production is putrid. Guitars sound thin, the drums are clearly a machine, there’s so much phaser on everything…it’s just a mess. Glenn’s solo is really great, but it can’t save this dud. The gang vocals at the end just make it worse. 3/10

Love Zone – This one starts off like a Kenny Loggins tune. I can’t believe they’d single out the (obviously canned) drums like that. Something about the vocals in this sounds off, like they’re not entirely with the beat or chords of the song. It’s probably just the terrible production. I can’t even tell if there’s a bass guitar on this album. I dig the bluesy post-chorus riff. The lyrics are trash again – rock n’ roll, driving fast, lovin’ hard. So far this album is a massive letdown. I’m glad to hear them getting back to metal, especially with the guitar solos, but the lyrics kill it for me. 3/10

Come and Get It – These guitars sound like cheese graters. A fourth song (IN A ROW) about rocking like a rock band? Seriously, I feel like I’m trapped in a nightmare. Like someone wrote the lyrics to this album just to piss me off. I’m honestly taking it personal at this point. The music and lyrics on this track are the worst yet. That repetitive kick drum pad is so distracting. All of the music sounds like it was plugged directly into the mixing board and then given fake reverb during mastering. Everything sounds flaccid and unnatural. 2/10

Hard As Iron – Double bass! It’s fake double bass and it sounds like a modern internet recording destined for the Cheesevivor, but I’ll take it! I’m glad we’re returning to thrashier, speedier sides of Priest. The earthquake sound is lame and the chorus is actually the weakest part, but at least I can rock out to this tune and not worry about terrible lyrics. Well, that’s not true, cause these lyrics aren’t good, but at least they’re not about singing heavy metal on a stage. Is this the closest Priest gets to a pure power metal song? It sure sounds like it. The guitar leads and harmonies are really nice and “victorious” as the lyrics say. I love the incredibly proggy syncopated section after the solos and the tiny bit of neo-classical shred that follows. Hard As Iron is gooey, cheesy fun. 8/10

Blood Red Skies – The mood that this song creates is lovely. It’s dark, epic, and very interesting. The guitars still sound incredibly thin, but Rob’s performance is beautiful. The synths are put to good use in the intro, similar to the synths on Seventh Son, but they become oppressive in the second half. I really hope this song shows up on a live album because I’d love to hear it without the overwhelming synths in the heavy part. I love the background guitar that comes in during the second heavier verse, sounds like something Adrian might toss into a song. The chorus is powerful, I just wish it sounded a little bigger. The modulation of the cheesy synth line is nice. Halford really slays this song. The more I listen, the more I love it. I wish the production were better, but the song is great. 10/10

I’m a Rocker – Don’t even have to hear it to know what this stinker is about. Lyrics are garbage again. The music is fine, some of the riffs around the chorus are very cool, but this is another song I’ll never seek out. It’s lame, it’s pandering. I want this subject matter to stop now, please. There’s nothing obviously terrible about this song other than the lyrics, but nothing stands out either. 3/10

Johnny B. Goode – I’m usually onboard with Judas Priest’s cover song decisions, but taking a swinging rock ‘n’ roll tune and stripping all the soul out of it is just weird. I don’t think it works at all. The guitar work is wonderful, especially those harmony sections, but they don’t fit in this song. I applaud their effort at trying something new, but this experiment doesn’t work. At least I can listen this as a joke and enjoy this silly interpretation, but it’s not a good Priest song. 4/10

Love You to Death – Sheds of 80’s hair metal shine through on this album’s obligatory sex song about Rob’s Fun Dungeon. I seriously don’t think there’s been a single album in the history of metal that has more songs about the subjects I hate. Thank Dio for that one sci-fi track. KK seems to do more leads on this album than Glenn and he sounds like he’s improving his accuracy. Anyway, I’m just rambling cause I don’t like anything about this song. Oh, Rob’s gonna scream like a little girl and then orgasm during the outro? Good lord, somebody burn the masters on this song. 1/10

Monsters of Rock – After the majority of this album’s pandering “rock tunes”, this sludgy Sabbath-tinged track is a breath of fresh air. Sure, Rob’s singing about heavy metal, but he’s discussing the concept and conception of heavy metal, not just the practice. That’s actually a nice take on the theme. I love the moodiness of this track. Some of the lyrics get too silly, but it works overall. It’s nice to hear the band breathe during the guitar solos, which are melodic and metallic at the same time. I actually hear the bass for 4 seconds! Very good song. 8/10

Album rating – 5.2/10

The strength of Blood Red Skies (and the other three solid tracks) makes this a better album than either Turbo or Point of Entry, but more than half of the songs here suck big time. The guitar production is terrible and the choice to use a drum machine is a glaring mistake. Please, bring on something better!

Hmm aren't you a little hard on I'm a Rocker? I am afraid you're getting irritated by the lyrics. So much about metal and rock. And then another tune...!
But this has fine music and vocals. Love the melodies and solos and riffs too. Catchy chorus. I also like Heavy Metal and B. Goode more than you do.

This album has three songs that I like less than ALL other songs from the seventies and eighties:
Love Zone, Come and Get It, Love You to Death.

I think your wish will be granted...
Yes indeed.

Back