Janick's role in post-reunion Maiden

I can quite imagine that being the case with a Steve composition. But I can also imagine Bruce having very fixed ideas about his creations!

I can quite imagine that being the case with a Steve composition. But I can also imagine Bruce having very fixed ideas about his creations!
Quite possibly, but Bruce also seems to do more writing with others (significantly Adrian or Janick) than on his own. That may make a difference.

I really think Janick shows his talent and how good is he for Maiden on the Fear of the Dark album ! Beautiful melodies and harmonies , and even better solos by him ! :rolleyes:

I agree. Dave and Janick were a great pairing. I really liked the 1990-1993 version of Maiden. Their sound was different from 80s Maiden, a little less metal and a little more hard rock. But I liked it.

I agree. Dave and Janick were a great pairing. I really liked the 1990-1993 version of Maiden. Their sound was different from 80s Maiden, a little less metal and a little more hard rock. But I liked it.

I couldn't disagree more. I love all of Maiden's guitarists, but the combo of Dave and Janick was just a little too loose. They both need a more structured, tight player to balance them out. The 3 guitar attack of the reunion era is really best for everyone: Adrian reigns in Dave's looseness a bit and allows Janick to be as wild as he wants.

The real test would be to see what Maiden sounds like with only Adrian and Janick.

I couldn't disagree more. I love all of Maiden's guitarists, but the combo of Dave and Janick was just a little too loose. They both need a more structured, tight player to balance them out. The 3 guitar attack of the reunion era is really best for everyone: Adrian reigns in Dave's looseness a bit and allows Janick to be as wild as he wants.

The real test would be to see what Maiden sounds like with only Adrian and Janick.

Well, yeah, the 3 guitarist line-up is the best. I always kind of wanted a 90s history tour so Adrian could get to take some of Janick’s solos and reinterpret them. Would have been interesting.

"Not Maiden" is the answer, I'm afraid. Dave Murray is Maiden now, as much as Steve Harris is. Therefore no Dave Murray = it will not sound like Maiden.

Adrian teaming up with Janick for a side project could be very interesting though - and now you mention it I'd actually really like for that to happen.
Apart from anything else it would be one in the eye for all the Janick haters who continually try to insist there must be bad blood between the two of them (or at least that Janick must be treading on Adrian's toes).
:)

"Not Maiden" is the answer, I'm afraid. Dave Murray is Maiden now, as much as Steve Harris is. Therefore no Dave Murray = it will not sound like Maiden.

Adrian teaming up with Janick for a side project could be very interesting though - and now you mention it I'd actually really like for that to happen.
Apart from anything else it would be one in the eye for all the Janick haters who continually try to insist there must be bad blood between the two of them (or at least that Janick must be treading on Adrian's toes).
:)

I would love to see an Adrian/Janick side project!

But I definitely disagree about Dave having anything more to do with Maiden's current state than any other guitarist. All three of them contribute to the band's longevity, vitality, and creativity these days. Also, we all know there only three people that are 100% essential to Iron Maiden at this point - Steve Harris, Bruce Dickinson, and Rod.

But I definitely disagree about Dave having anything more to do with Maiden's current state than any other guitarist. All three of them contribute to the band's longevity, vitality, and creativity these days. Also, we all know there only three people that are 100% essential to Iron Maiden at this point - Steve Harris, Bruce Dickinson, and Rod.
I sort of agree with the first half of this, but I wasn't saying Dave was more important in ensuring Maiden's longivity, only that his playing is essential to what has now been established as "the Maiden sound". Adrian and Janick have both told us repeatedly that "Dave has the signature guitar sound" and Bruce has also told us that Dave is capable of sounding like Maiden all by himself.

I disagree with you on the second point though - I think as far as the band now is concerned they are all equally important, although this state of affairs has come out of decisions that were made around 2000, and what they've gone on to achieved since (precisely who did what to get them to 2000 is a separate question). If any of them were to want out now, I really think that would be it :(

I sort of agree with the first half of this, but I wasn't saying Dave was more important in ensuring Maiden's longivity, only that his playing is essential to what has now been established as "the Maiden sound". Adrian and Janick have both told us repeatedly that "Dave has the signature guitar sound" and Bruce has also told us that Dave is capable of sounding like Maiden all by himself.

I disagree with you on the second point though - I think as far as the band now is concerned they are all equally important, although this state of affairs has come out of decisions that were made around 2000, and what they've gone on to achieved since (precisely who did what to get them to 2000 is a separate question). If any of them were to want out now, I really think that would be it :(

I highly doubt that if say Adrian of Janick decided they had enough Maiden would 100% still go on without them, you really think Steve would give it up when they have been a 5 piece before? Only members to stop them going on would be Steve, Bruce and Nicko doubt they would hire a new drummer, and perhaps Dave too.

Well, yeah, the 3 guitarist line-up is the best. I always kind of wanted a 90s history tour so Adrian could get to take some of Janick’s solos and reinterpret them. Would have been interesting.

I agree that the 3 guitarist line-up is the best - I really want to hear Adrian do Janick solos ! 90's history tour is the only chance this will happen - but sadly, Maiden don't care for the albums from the 90's anymore - beside Fear of the Dark the song - but on those 4 albums has a lot of fantastic songs :)

Last edited:
you really think Steve would give it up when they have been a 5 piece before?
At this stage in the game yes, to be honest, although I don't think he'd see it as giving up. It was different when they were still on their way up and still had a long time ahead of them, but having worked as a tight unit for nearly 18 years now I really think that the band as a whole would be weaker without any one of them.

When the "reunion" in 2000 happened there was a definite sense of something fundamentally right having clicked into place, and I think they know that what they now have is the perfect package. I'm sure they'd like to finish on top of their game so why would they continue in a weakened state, just for the sake of it?

I really want to hear Adrian do Janick solos !

In my opinion, Smith would do the slower melodic solos better than originals. Take a look at his Tattooed Millionaire rendition, so you can really imagine how something like Como Estais Amigos could sound like. He's still a lot more precise than Gers, has more sustain in his picking and sound, and generally that awesome phrasing on slow to mid paced solos. Fast solos are another matter cause Gers is effortlessly fast. He used to be sloppy or didn't care how it turns out live, nowadays he's isn't. IMHO Smith can't alt pick on this level, that many notes per second he tends to sweep pick. Fast solos would definitely come out different, so I have no doubt that a number of these would still be performed "better" by Gers.

I always loved the faces that Dave and Jan pull after H's lick at 2:50. Dave is like WHOAH and Jan is like YEAH MAN! This is probably one of the fastest phrases H performed in Maiden.

I always think about Jan and H as H being the musical supervisor of Maiden (while Steve is the director) and Jan being the one who delivers the free spirit and different cultures to the band. So, they are equally important.

That said, I would love to see a Bruce Dickinson band with Jan and H on guitars.

I thought about Gers/Smith in Dickinson band yesterday after listening to TGU live and Gers soloing over that Smith groove.
Btw I love that video for that part. Smith is a god, nobody can play like him.

So if any of you spend time on various Maiden social media pages you'll possibly be aware of the ridiculous rumours by Janick haters (RE boomer fans who want Maiden to return to the "classic" line up) who insist, get this, that Janick doesn't plug in his guitar live and that he's basically miming his whole performance. I'm being serious. They actually believe this. It's even been spread by US rock FM radio host Eddie Trunk (who hates Janick). The sad thing is that many so-called fans actually believe this. Personally I love Janick and his wild performances but I'm perplexed as to why a significant portion of the fan base hate him. What gives?

NPFTD was Janick’s best Maiden album as a guitar player. He had something to prove, and you could sense it in his playing.

Since then, Janick’s contributions have been more limited. He seems to have one great epic song in him that he keeps rehashing — acoustic intro, slow build-up, big chorus — which has shown up as “The Legacy”, “The Talisman”, and “The Book Of Souls”. He co-wrote “Ghost Of The Navigator” and “Out Of The Silent Planet”, which were great. “Montségur” and “Dance Of Death” were pretty good, too. But his soloing style got sloppy, his lyrics stink (see: “The Pilgrim”), and he’s big on recycling. And his stage antics are stupid. I don’t think the three-part guitar harmonies are all that great, and on balance I still think the band would have been better off dropping him in the reunion, though I acknowledge that he’s made a few worthwhile songwriting contributions since then. “The Book Of Souls” is the best song on that album, I’ll give him that.

Back