Janick's role in post-reunion Maiden

I am pretty sure that Steve mentioned that he would have gotten rid of Adrian first if the reunion didn't work with BNW.
He did indeed say that, it was recounted in "Run to the Hills". I found that bit very hard to read actually - I didn't want there to have ever been any chance, however small, of it not having worked, since it's so fantastic now.

More intriguingly though, Adrian has said that his rejoining the band was originally only intended to be for the greatest hits (Metal 2000?) tour, after which he was going to leave again - only it worked so well that they decided to make it permanent. The way I interpret and reconcile these two statements from Steve and Adrian is that Steve always intended it to be a permanent thing, but Adrian was clearly apprehensive about the whole thing and may have wanted an exit strategy in case he found himself exactly in the same situation that had led to him leaving in 1990. Once he got there though (and again this is from "Run to the Hills"), he observed that "if I had gone back and it had been the same five guys, there would have been a lot of baggage, but having Janick there seemed to make it all fresh again. It's not the old band; it's a whole new thing, which makes it great."

It seems that Janick's presence and contribution has been good for everyone in the band, whether or not folk outside appreciate this.

Last edited:
I will say this - you never do see Steve doing interviews alongside Bruce or Adrian, whereas Janick might be seen along all other five members. He very much might be the glue keeping things together. There's been so many rumours over the last 17 years that Adrian was upset over one thing or another, but he hasn't come close to leaving. He's been in Iron Maiden, now, twice as long as he was the first time. That's not an accident.

This seems like it could of been good craic last night, sorry to disappoint but I had other things to do (drinks to dink). Anyway, the point stands; Kulick should still be in Kiss

He's been in Iron Maiden, now, twice as long as he was the first time. That's not an accident.

Oh, but a lot of people don't care. I sometimes have the feeling that there is a widespread attitude that Maiden's history ended in 1988/1993/2000.

I got the impression Nicko was the glue guy. But yes, I can imagine Janick being diplomatic and easygoing.

Really, reading those late 90s interviews, it feels like the reunion happening should've basically been impossible, there was just too much bad blood between the relevant parties at that point. And yet, somehow, life finds a way. It's weird.

As much as I enjoy Bruce's solo work, I'm glad he rejoined Maiden because with how poorly those records were doing, I somehow doubt he would've stuck with it for much longer anyway. Maybe one album more, but that's it. Maiden meanwhile was in even more dire straits at that point, so a delay of even just a few years might've been too much. Luckily things worked out brilliantly in the end.

By the time the reunion happened, I was still supporting Maiden, but had 'moved on' in terms of intently focusing/listening to other bands. VXI was so uninspired that I thought it was the end.

Listening to BNW for the first time was like having old friends come over for dinner. The build up intro to Navigator was the turning point where I thought "this is happening, they're really back!"

Janicks role in Maiden overall, post reunion and since joining, is more important, IN MY OPINION, than Dave Murray. He is a fantastic song writer and has contributed to some of their best songs. Not only that, his solo in Blood Brothers is the best solo done by any Maiden guitarist ever.

Take it as you will, but that is my opinion. Believe me, I would never want Murray to go but what has he done better, songwriting wise, since Gers joined?

I will say this - you never do see Steve doing interviews alongside Bruce or Adrian, whereas Janick might be seen along all other five members. He very much might be the glue keeping things together. There's been so many rumours over the last 17 years that Adrian was upset over one thing or another, but he hasn't come close to leaving. He's been in Iron Maiden, now, twice as long as he was the first time. That's not an accident.
I completely agree. I've always said that this is Janick's greatest contributions to the band. The Reunion Era seems to be all about personal chemistry in the band. I feel like Janick bridges every personal gap.

Janick song writings are good, solos are good. But he is so corny to watch live...all that weird pracing/marching and leg lifting/stretching...is all a bit kooky.

Janicks role in Maiden overall, post reunion and since joining, is more important, IN MY OPINION, than Dave Murray. He is a fantastic song writer and has contributed to some of their best songs. Not only that, his solo in Blood Brothers is the best solo done by any Maiden guitarist ever.

Take it as you will, but that is my opinion. Believe me, I would never want Murray to go but what has he done better, songwriting wise, since Gers joined?

Come now. It’s all opinion but Dave has written some of my favourite stuff since 2000, Rainmaker, The Thin Line, Breig, BNW, Nomad.

Gers has also written some great stuff.

I was an Adrian nutswinger growing up, his stage presence cannot be be denied, but I’ve been disappointed with some of his songs since the millennium.

Janick song writings are good, solos are good. But he is so corny to watch live...all that weird pracing/marching and leg lifting/stretching...is all a bit kooky.

I think some of his on stage antics are tongue in cheek.

Between Dave and Nicko's constant smiling, Bruce's theatrics, and Janick's goofiness, Iron Maiden have a "happy" stage presence...which is a welcome relief from the usual dour "hard-ass felon" look that every other metal band seems to go for.

But in a way, it almost humanizes the experience. Music, especially live music, is meant to be fun. Janick provides a great outlet for the fans that are looking to just have fun at a show.
"Humanizes" is a very interesting way of putting it, but I think it's significant that he's not showing off (and I know no-one here has suggested that so don't all jump on me). The majority of his stage theatrics seem to be quite spontaneous and I think he often gets carried away without thinking about where he's going next, which is why it sometimes seems a bit ungainly. But a lot of the guitarists who did similar theatrics in the past (particularly in 80's hair metal) were basically showing off - it was all obviously choreographed and rehearsed (and self-concious). I think it's at least partly this connotation that leads @GhostSword and others to find it all a bit cringeworthy.

Personally I find it rather endearing :)

The one Janick thing I'm not keen on is the marching in the spot. That's quite tacky. The rest is just fun n silliness.

Back