ISIS Thread

The former means that unless Syria gets occupied (unlikely), the government win. The latter is not a means to an end and the conflict is going to continue and more and more people are going to die.

I would think any stabilizing would end up be more along the lines of "consolidation until ready to expand further"

But it is escalating. ISIS are decapitating prisoners to fear monger the west.

"To dismantle this network of death"

Big respect to Obama for his vision and will (and communicative talents) to make a broad coalition against the worst evil this world has seen in a long time.

Our prime minister and president declared joining the coalition as unacceptable and completely rejected it. Government-favoring media came up with headlines like "Turkey won't fall into the trap of coalition". Then Erdoğan met up with Obama, result? We're in the coalition. Facepalm worthy cluelessness.

I'm not sure... I just can't help but think that an all-out military strike will be the opening of Pandora's Box.

More terrorist attacks, and Turkey being the next country drowned in chaos.

• Turkey has a direct border to the areas controlled by IS. This border is long and consists almost entirely of terrain that is difficult to control. It's been a threat to Turkish security for decades.
  • There is massive dissatisfaction with the government in the cities. There were mass riots not too long ago and analysts feared they might escalate. Ask Flash.
  • Turkey is facing a latent threat by PKK terrorists. PKK's role in the IS conflict is obscure, and they are very likely to try and get their advantage from it.
That's just a non-exhaustive brainstorming from the top of my head.

Who knows there'll be more understanding as well: The Kurdish want to survive. The Turks can fight side by side with them against a common enemy.

I really hope the Turks will attack IS in Syria. Lots of countries are reluctant to do that.

Yeah, no. That's easy for you to say. Turkey is an acrobat on high wire currently. A significant wind hits and that's when shit hits the fan.
  • Turkey is a country where tensions haven't been low in the past couple of years. It's pretty much "Government supporters vs. Government opposers" currently. And I certainly don't mean that in the usual, democratic fashion. There's significant polarization between people, it affects social life because it brings along bias and filtering.
  • A lot of people aren't pleased with the ongoing "Solution process" with PKK. Compromise after compromise, PKK is getting closer to achieve a Kurdish autonomy. Peace with Kurdish minority is something to be desired, but the country breaking up due to terrorism isn't.
  • After years of economic growth due to a plan that was solid but unsustainable, Turkish economy is as tense as it was in the 90s, which led to the massive economic crisis in early 2000s.
Currently the countries intervening in Syria are United States, Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and Bahrain. Out of these countries, only Jordan has a border with Syria, which isn't even half as long as the one Turkey has with it. We can't afford any failure if we do go with an all-out military operation.

I think Turkey has to be concerned with the idea of the rise of the IS. But it's a really bad time for them for this to happen. Erdogan is a bag of dicks.

It looks like a nuclear deal with Iran is close, despite assurances to the contrary, I would not be shocked if we (US) reaches some kind of understanding with them in exchange with help with ISIS as they seem to be the only power with the ability and willingness to do something. Seems like a bad idea.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...deal-will-allow-cooperation-on-extremism.html

Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said reaching a final nuclear accord with the U.S. and European nations would lead to more co-operation against extremist groups in the Middle East, as the deadline for a deal nears.

If negotiators from the two sides overcome the remaining obstacles for an agreement, an “entirely different environment will emerge for cooperation” focusing “on some very important regional issues such as combating violence and extremism in the region,” Rouhani said today in his address to the United Nations General Assembly in New York.

If that happens, Iran, that is - that would be an incredible turning point in global politics. Iran could be a great friend against ISIS.

Back