ISIS Thread

Who gives a shit? Deaths are deaths, regardless of who caused them. And now a lot of people are going to die because of this Iraq government collapse, and it's going to be worse than it ever was under Saddam.

Of course it matters I cannot imagine how anyone would be opposed to the Gulf War, the criticism back then was H.W. Bush did not go far enough and left Saddam in power.

Iraq under Saddam Hussein was known for its severe violations of human rights. Secret police, torture, mass murder, rape, deportations, forced disappearances, assassinations, chemical warfare, and the destruction of southern Iraq's marshes were some of the methods the country's Ba'athist government used to maintain control. The total number of deaths related to torture and murder during this period are unknown. Human Rights Watch andAmnesty International issued regular reports of widespread imprisonment and torture.

I'm not opposed to the Gulf War in principle. But I do question the aftermath that left Iraq in ruins financially. I'm merely saying that 1991 is the time US intervention began, and it hasn't really stopped between sanctions, bombing, and invasions.

Yeah, we know all that. It hasn't gotten any better though.

No, it continued under Clinton and then Bush and with the support of the UN. My only real problem with the 2003 war was the execution of it and the undersell of how hard it would be to try to unify the country afterwards ... not the war itself.

I think the undersell ... history tends to overlook the chaos at the end of WWII (at least in the US, I am sure it does not in Europe and Asia) ... defeating the Iraqi army was never the problem

There were a lot of bad assumptions when it came to the invasion of Iraq by the Bush people. It's 99% their fault and legacy.

Yeah, the execution was poor. I think the decision to do it was perfectly fine .. they just should have done it better. Hopefully those lessons will be learned in the future

I think...there was a good intent there, to remove a dictator. I think everything else, from the sales, to the planning, to the execution, was totally wrong. We all know with what the road to hell is paved.

No argument there, but I go back to my earlier statement is that any decisions going forward really need to be independent of whatever happened in 2003, the situation now is what the situation is now. I think some decision makers are essentially saying "that was Bush's deal, he is gone, so we can ignore it" ... and that is a poor approach to take. US actions are US actions no matter the President at the time the action happened.

The US has started launching an air strike on ISIS militants after they reached Erbil in Iraq today.

Speaking about the 48 Turkish people that have been held in custody by ISIS since June 11, Turkish minister of foreign affairs said that "Those people are safe and saving them would only be putting on a show."

The most clueless minister of foreign affairs in history.

I am getting a massive headache thinking about this conflict. Right now, this is related in particular to the question of arms shipment. I just can't help but consider that the same weapons once delivered by the US and its allies to the Mujaheddin in Afghanistan were later used by the Taliban against the ones who brought them there. It was the same genocidal situation there as it is in Iraq now. Then again, we can't just let IS slaughter innocent people before our eyes.

There's 2 options that can happen in Syria. Either the tyrannical government retains control or the Islamic Militants take Syria. With how the crisis has escalated, neither option is appealing in the slightest.

I'd say there are at least two further options - an outside force destroys IS, or the situation stabilises as it is right now.

Back