Iron Maiden video interviews / shows

A Matter Of Life And Death documentary (''The Making Of''):

-> I thought it would be nice to share some of the curious stuff about the songs from it:

Different World - this was the first song they worked on for the album.

These Colours Don't Run - according to Adrian, the song started as a big ballad. Adrian wrote the riff and the melodies (with Steve), while Bruce wrote the lyrics.

Brighter Than A Thousand Suns - Adrian used a guitar synthesiser for this song. Bruce wrote the lyrics specifically to the melody line.

The Pilgrim - according to Janick, the song was a mixture of two parts of two different song and Steve turned them into one song. He was quite into the Arabic/Eastern flare of the song.

The Longest Day - Bruce wanted to make the words sound like the actions. The intro came in the first writing session between Adrian and Steve. This is one of Adrian's favorite songs in the album.

Out Of The Shadows - Steve came up with the melody line for the verse. According to Nicko, the song is a gem. He briefly had a lot of trouble with the drum pattern.

The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg - according to Steve, the song is a mixture of three different ideas of Dave.

For The Greater Good Of God - according to Janick and Bruce, this song is amazing.

Lord Of Light - the song came from the first writing session between Adrian and Steve. Nicko thinks this is the most progressive song in the album. Adrian said that the gallop in this song came spontaneously (they've been refusing to do gallops on the last couple of albums).

The Legacy - Janick wanted the song to be more acoustic/orchestral with no choruses, but with more themes through it. The basic idea for the song was Janick's. According to Steve, the song is a bit different for Maiden, the intro sounds like early Genesis and it's a great way to close the album. Janick said that Steve took the song somewhere totally different from his original idea and made it a little bit special.

^ I just realized that we can find documentaries (official or not) for almost all of the albums - well, they are not for all songs like the one above, but at least this is a discussion about the process behind the albums. Let's see:

Senjutsu: no (so far)
TBOS: no
TFF: the so called ''Mission Debrief''. The interviewer was one of the guys who made Flight 666/En Vivo! documentaries
AMOLAD: the official documentary for this album
DOD: Death On The Road documentary
BNW: no... (there is some stuff on YouTube, not much)
VXI: the EPK, studio interview with the band
TXF: the interview with the band during the release party of the album
FOTD: the MTV's Headbanger's Ball special for this album
NPFTD: the tour document (done by a Japanese TV) and the short studio interview with Bruce, Steve and Martin Birch
SSOASS: Maiden England documentary
SIT: History: Part 3 documentarty
Powerslave: History: Part 2 documentary
POM: History: Part 1 documentary, I guess
TNOTB: the Classic Albums series for this album
Killers: History: Part 1 documentary, I guess
IM: History: Part 1 documentary

And of course the 3 albums for which I'm the most curious are without a documentary... :( I love this kind of documentaries.

^ I just realized that we can find documentaries (official or not) for almost all of the albums - well, they are not for all songs like the one above, but at least this is a discussion about the process behind the albums. Let's see:

Senjutsu: no (so far)
TBOS: no
TFF: the so called ''Mission Debrief''. The interviewer was one of the guys who made Flight 666/En Vivo! documentaries
AMOLAD: the official documentary for this album
DOD: Death On The Road documentary
BNW: no... (there is some stuff on YouTube, not much)
VXI: the EPK, studio interview with the band
TXF: the interview with the band during the release party of the album
FOTD: the MTV's Headbanger's Ball special for this album
NPFTD: the tour document (done by a Japanese TV) and the short studio interview with Bruce, Steve and Martin Birch
SSOASS: Maiden England documentary
SIT: History: Part 3 documentarty
Powerslave: History: Part 2 documentary
POM: History: Part 1 documentary, I guess
TNOTB: the Classic Albums series for this album
Killers: History: Part 1 documentary, I guess
IM: History: Part 1 documentary

And of course the 3 albums for which I'm the most curious are without a documentary... :( I love this kind of documentaries.
Maiden seen to prefer tour documentaries than album making ofs. I believe DOD and AMOLAD were really the only times they allowed cameras in the room while recording.

It would be cool to see a making of Senjutsu documentary come up. I know there are a few video clips of Bruce, Steve and Kevin Shirley in the studio (at the end of the recording process I think), but I have seen some fanclub magazine photos of some more band members in the studio during the recording process. I'm not sure if they are just stills from future videos or their photographer just snapping a few pictures whilst he was in Paris.

there is a good bit of footage from No Prayer's recording that was available on video magazines back in the day, I don't know if they are available online now, but I'll see if I can get details when I go home

I'd like to see this Mission Debrief for TFF. Does anyone know where it can be found? Didn't see anything related on youtube.

Nope. It was only available in digital format with the limited edition of The Final Frontier (the one that came in a tin) and it is in a format that is no longer available. A brilliant choice by Rod et al.
Ah cool. I never bought the tin version. I thought it looked stupid. I didn't know there was a digital code inside.

Nope. It was only available in digital format with the limited edition of The Final Frontier (the one that came in a tin) and it is in a format that is no longer available. A brilliant choice by Rod et al.
I should check out that documentary. I’ve had that Mission Edition since it came out but never watched the bonus content. I also, last summer, purchased the Greek special edition which has like a book sized lyric sheet. It’s weird and I had to have it.

I should check out that documentary. I’ve had that Mission Edition since it came out but never watched the bonus content. I also, last summer, purchased the Greek special edition which has like a book sized lyric sheet. It’s weird and I had to have it.

Can you post a picture of that thing? :)

It was also available on the iTunes LP format.

That format has also been discontinued by iTunes so if you didn't save the files elsewhere iTunes will have updated your iTunes LP to the 2015 remaster.

I have that as well, there was one for From Fear to Eternity as well at least if not more.

They came out during the financial crisis in Greece. The government had put a huge tax on CDs so they were released in disguise as magazines and sold from news stands to avoid the CD tax.

there is a good bit of footage from No Prayer's recording that was available on video magazines back in the day, I don't know if they are available online now, but I'll see if I can get details when I go home

These two released in a video magazine called Metal XS, the recording section was a bit longer and there was a 10 min section from Bremen as well

There's this which I don't know where it's from:

Also this from Headbanger's Ball, again there's a longer version which I can't find and in better quality

You’ll have to watch the Youtube video; I do not think the digital bonus content that came with the CD works anymore.

Thought it interesting in this interview that Doogie mentions he sang most of the songs on A Real Live and Real Dead one in the audition which I presume Blaze also did. So they had him sing The Trooper and Hallowed and STILL picked Blaze :eek:
I saw Doogie White play live about 10 years ago. It was a tiny club with about 10 people in attendance. He still performed live a pro though and did a couple of Dio numbers (this was shortly after Dio died).

Back