Iron Maiden studio album 17 rumours and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Dave has played a lot of golf, Steve a lot of football and Adrian has done a lot of fishing, a book and an album.

They have made one Maiden album. At the most. :p :D

Steve and Adrian released albums to be fair.

We are not organ grinders and Maiden are not our dancing monkeys....Damn, they are all senior citizens now. Give them a fucking break...

We are not organ grinders and Maiden are not our dancing monkeys....Damn, they are all senior citizens now. Give them a fucking break...
I can't be compromising in my thoughts no more
I can't prevent the times my anger fills my heart
I can't be sympathizing with a new lost cause
I feel I've lost my patience with the world and all

Hopefully that Paris-album (17#) is ready(ish) and while we wait for it to be mentioned/announced/released, let the boys have little time off and they're each been doing their own stuff and so most likely there are already other ideas, riffs, lyrics and fills etc around that will form the framework for album #18. This will all be more clear to us but we need to give them time and us to have patience. I know, they are older and have families and other things to think and so, we were so lucky in the 80's as they were very productive, just doing tours and albums all the time. It was fantastic line of albums and it's my absolute favorite run of albums all the way from the self-titled debut to Seventh Son. By the late 80's and early 90's it was all too different and they needed that change of sound, feeling and taking route back to the more earlier era Maiden. I think the albums released after Seventh Son until Brave New World, are all good efforts, maybe there were couple more minor things and fillerish feeling here and there, but overall thinking the whole catalogue I think Maiden never did any really awfully bad album.
Did you talk about previous albums? Right. NPFTD was difficult time for Maiden but I like it and also, I feel that The Book Of Souls was majestic album and absolutely stunning opus as I really liked it as complete work and if had happened, that for some reason, it would have been Maiden's swan song then I would have accepted as their last album.

But still thinking of this horrible COVID-19 times, I feel that Maiden has been really quiet and so only couple members have been somehow active in public.

Am I right in remembering that Adrian nearly let the new album slip in an interview recently? (I say "recently" but it was probably months ago now)
I remember reading it somewhere but can't find it for the life of me. Might have been this thread or the interviews thread?

He said something like "he's mostly been writing with Bruce, and Steve has been focusing on production on the last... um, few... albums"

If this sounds familiar to anyone and they could link me that would be great. I'm going to update my evidence summary with some more info.

Sweet jeebus I would love for this to be true, but I won't be surprised when it isn't. The band are basically doing what they want at this point and they've earned the right to sit back and do nothing if they so choose. But, I'm always hungry for more Maiden, and it'll be a sad day indeed when the door shuts on more music from them...EVER.
I'm going for an outside chance shot: Maiden will say that the pandemic has given them a lot of time to develop new material. Steve has written a bunch of songs, Bruce and H have a bunch more, Janick brought in four really good ideas, and Dave collaborated on two more. So they call time on the format of recent albums. Instead of a 70 or 80 minute single CD album, or a double CD album, they announce:

- Album 17 (released 2021)
- Album 18 (released 2022)

...each one clocking in at around 50 minutes and each one a self-standing themed album.

You heard it here first o_O

Forgive me for fakenewsing on the process but this takes so long that... well.. there is not much else to do (it's the band's fault).

I'm beginning to wonder if there might be "some" delay because the band might not be entirely satisfied about what they did. Maybe they recorded the whole thing and the longer they kept it shelved, the more unease about the quality could have crept up. Now usually it can go the other way.... time can heal problems. But perhaps the band sees this as their final work and they strive to make a masterpiece. I think they need another recording session and that starts as soon as they have time for it. And that takes a while. It's a vicious circle.

Last edited:
Am I right in remembering that Adrian nearly let the new album slip in an interview recently? (I say "recently" but it was probably months ago now)
I remember reading it somewhere but can't find it for the life of me. Might have been this thread or the interviews thread?

He said something like "he's mostly been writing with Bruce, and Steve has been focusing on production on the last... um, few... albums"

If this sounds familiar to anyone and they could link me that would be great. I'm going to update my evidence summary with some more info.

Yeah, I remembering posting a quote from a recent interview along those lines. I will try and find the message.

Edit: found it. It was an interview with Times Radio.

Thanks! I was searching as well. Unfortunately the show is not available anymore. Would like to hear it again.

So, I'd like to be in optimistic mood but... as we know the pandemic is on and the vaccination process is still too slow. There's no so sure (right now) the big tours will be back for good in 2022. Probably Maiden know all about and (as we see) they're careful with some new dates announcement especially when few new shows (Netherlands, Swiss ans Frankfurt) don't sale almost at all... Hard to say it's too early for people to buy the tix or fans don't want to see all the same show once again. I think Maiden want to relese new album later next year when (an option) everything will be back on the rails. But situation is unclear and hard as f**k :)

Forgive me for fakenewsing on the process but this takes so long that... well.. there is not much else to do (it's the band's fault).

I'm beginning to wonder if there might be "some" delay because the band might not be entirely satisfied about what they did. Maybe they recorded the whole thing and the longer they kept it shelved, the more unease about the quality could have crept up. Now usually it can go the other way.... time can heal problems. But perhaps the band sees this as their final work and they strive to make a masterpiece. I think they need another recording session and that starts as soon as they have time for it. And that takes a while. It's a vicious circle.
I think Bruce’s comment to Chris Dale proves that at the very least he’s satisfied with it, but to be fair the rest of the band may have a completely different outlook.

I think the next Maiden album will be, for all intents and purposes, just like all the previous Maiden albums. Would be interesting to get something more, but I love Iron Maiden in general and there’s almost no doubt that I’ll love whatever they release next, to different extents of course.

I believe the last 3 album announcements all came in June with album release in Aug-Sep. So hoping for any kind of news + single this month. This wait has been pure torture for me. Hoping every day for any kind of news past couple of years. We got absolutely no info (interview, studio diary, album cover, tracklist etc) to keep the fans going. I understand the pandemic delayed things but what's with all the secrecy? What is the worst that would happen if someone confirmed a date of release? Maiden fans will buy the album no matter what anyways.

Not a fan of the whole live recording philosophy.I hope they have had time to polish the solos so that they sound less like random jams in the studio and more like the well thought out and structured stuff in wickerman, rainmaker, pascrndale etc.

and more like the well thought out and structured pascrndale etc.
But the solos in Paschendale, at least for Dave and Janick, was Shirley practising copy and paste and combining different takes in Pro Tools (the same with Dance of Death). Isolated tracks taken from the DVD version of the album shows this.

So asking the guitarists to record different takes, and then having Shirley edit the best licks together, could be another solution...

I believe the last 3 album announcements all came in June with album release in Aug-Sep. So hoping for any kind of news + single this month. This wait has been pure torture for me. Hoping every day for any kind of news past couple of years. We got absolutely no info (interview, studio diary, album cover, tracklist etc) to keep the fans going. I understand the pandemic delayed things but what's with all the secrecy? What is the worst that would happen if someone confirmed a date of release? Maiden fans will buy the album no matter what anyways.
The secrecy is pretty simple: there's no point in teasing an album, showing the album art, tracklist, etc. when they have no idea when they're going to release the album...and they're not going to release the album until there's an acceptable window between the release and the album tour. Right now, the only thing public is that they're fulfilling commitments on Legacy 3, unfortunately, and Legacy 3 is summer 2022. So the hypothetical album tour is...sometime after that's done. And that's if something tragic doesn't happen between now and then, i.e. a band member decides to retire and the rest of the band sticks to their prior "this is the final lineup" statement, and the band is done.

Long story short, they're not going to release the album like a lot of other bands have done, because the album itself isn't going to make them any money. The money is in the album tour. I'd love to be proven wrong and for them to drop the album this year, but I don't see it happening.

One positive, if the album really is done, is that they have had allll the time in the world to get the design and artwork for the new album just right - so I'm expecting good things there :p

But the solos in Paschendale, at least for Dave and Janick, was Shirley practising copy and paste and combining different takes in Pro Tools (the same with Dance of Death). Isolated tracks taken from the DVD version of the album shows this.

So asking the guitarists to record different takes, and then having Shirley edit the best licks together, could be another solution...
I guess this relates more to Adrian but when i listen to the solos in the albums post AMOLAD, i hear a lot of random stuff as if they came up with the licks on the spot while playing the song live. There is also a lot of rehashed licks. It doesn't feel like Adrian or Dave sat in their house, worked out each section of the solo and then went to record in the studio. There is a clear difference in the solos between past albums vs. the last 2 albums in my opinion. The song writing has always been amazing but i think it is this organic/live recording approach that somewhat compromised the instrumental sections of the maiden epics. I would argue that they would not be able to write the mid instrumental section of Alexander the great with the recording approach that they have now.

The secrecy is pretty simple: there's no point in teasing an album, showing the album art, tracklist, etc. when they have no idea when they're going to release the album...and they're not going to release the album until there's an acceptable window between the release and the album tour. Right now, the only thing public is that they're fulfilling commitments on Legacy 3, unfortunately, and Legacy 3 is summer 2022. So the hypothetical album tour is...sometime after that's done. And that's if something tragic doesn't happen between now and then, i.e. a band member decides to retire and the rest of the band sticks to their prior "this is the final lineup" statement, and the band is done.

Long story short, they're not going to release the album like a lot of other bands have done, because the album itself isn't going to make them any money. The money is in the album tour. I'd love to be proven wrong and for them to drop the album this year, but I don't see it happening.
I understand why they would not release the album due to legacy tour commitments. However, i do not think it is pointless to the fans just to have something to chew on while we wait 6 years for the new materials to drop. The wait would be so much easier if they had just teased a little bit of the album name, tracklist, artwork etc. I am not asking for a single, just a bit of anything- an interview from Steve on the recording process in Paris perhaps? At least confirm that they actually recorded an album in paris? I think it also would have helped build the hype surrounding the album and the subsequent tour. 6 years is a long time for fans to wait without ANY info.

I just want to politely challenge you on this because there is another way, even taking into account what you have written.

First observation is that 'secrecy until release date' was the template used to launch the British Lion debut and Smith Kotzen. Obviously the management likes it this way in the internet age since they want message control. For side projects it is fine. But why is it being applied to Maiden? Previously, Steve, Rod, or an FC magazine via Keith or Laz would update us by saying ''we plan on recording an album next year..." or "we're taking a long break this year because...". Is the secrecy really breached by saying you are making a new album to release one day in the future?

Instead there is nothing. Nothing at all. Radio silence. It has been nine months since Bruce's video update when he's leaning by the pinball machine and he alludes to writing things with Steve. NINE FRIGGIN' MONTHS!

Assuming everything you write is true, then what is the harm in updating us even if the album will be released some time into the future? Noone is asking for an immediate release since we all understand the impact of the pandemic on personal lives and on business plans. But we have a reasonable case to challenge the secrecy policy. Unless something has gone really wrong behind the scenes regarding Nicko's longevity as a touring drummer, or the healing process after Paddy's death, or other things we aren't privy to, that have complicated things.

However, if it's as simple as Rod deciding 'we'll update them with news after LOTB part III is over', then I call bullshit over this approach. Especially during the pandemic, when Maiden's communication with its fans has been tone deaf regarding what would actually be appreciated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back