Iron Maiden studio album 17 rumours and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh .... this is on the official site ... LOTB 3rd leg?

IRON MAIDEN will headline at Download on Saturday June 13, and at Belfast’s Ormeau Park Belsonic Festival on Monday June 15. These will be the only UK performances by the band in 2020. Maiden are currently on the U.S.A leg of their Legacy Of The Beast Tour which continues into Mexico, Brazil, Argentina and Chile in October.

Bruce comments "Next year we will play a number of countries and cities we have yet to visit on this incredible tour, so it is terrific to be able to accept the invitation to return to Download in 2020 and we will certainly go to town and add a few extra items to the show. This will be our seventh time headlining at Donington Park. It's home turf and we all really enjoy playing this Festival, the vibe from the crowd is always fantastic, and it’s great to be returning to Belfast, this time for a Festival date too.”

I'm very conflicted because whilst LOTB will be amazing at Donington Park and couldn't be a better fit for the festival, we were all hoping that they wouldn't drag another history tour out for three years.

Bruce's statement:

IRON MAIDEN will headline Download Festival on Saturday June 13, and Belsonic on Monday June 15. These will be the only UK performances by the band in 2020. Maiden are currently on the U.S.A leg of their Legacy Of The Beast Tour which continues into Mexico, Brazil, Argentina and Chile in October.

Bruce comments "Next year we will play a number of countries and cities we have yet to visit on this incredible tour, so it is terrific to be able to accept the invitation to return to Download in 2020 and we will certainly go to town and add a few extra items to the show. This will be our seventh time headlining at Donington Park. It's home turf and we all really enjoy playing this Festival, the vibe from the crowd is always fantastic, and it’s great to be returning to Belfast, this time for a Festival date too.”

Maybe it's they just don't want to mention the new album yet, but it does look very much like a 3rd leg given there's only two dates in this neck of the woods.

Last edited:
This makes me really wonder what they're gonna do with the new album and new songs that Bruce promised.
With luck a snek peak like back In the GMETID tour (though I find it hard to believe). If I had to bet my money on the release date of the new album it would be early 2021.

P.S. : Maiden and Gojira? Aaaaaallrighty then! :)

Last edited:
LOTB part 3 announcement in November/December, tour start in May. Album announcement in May, one new song in the setlist. Album out in August/September, tour announcement August, Ed Force One leg starting in February 2021.

Any better guesses?
I am still going with this. We got two dates today, but I the tour announcement will come once this years leg is over.

The "next album tour show" doesn't really have to top LOTB, being distinctively different and playing some fresh cards should be perfectly enough.

TFF stage show didn't really top SBIT. It did have some additional 3D elements, such as a lot of molded details in the stage dressing and obviously, the big towers. It had very well crafted, distinctively different Eddies (regardless how one feels about that particular design) and of course, very impressive light show. Maiden England stage set downscaled the "molded detail" (in lack of a better expression), but added another big show-centerpiece Eddie, shitload of pyro and more or less re-created the etheric and otherworldy feel of the original show.

TBOS had tons of beautiful, elevated, molded details that really made the stage dressing look very "three-dimensional." Angular features in the "source material" also made it look rather authentic for what it is, as far as heavy metal stage sets go. LOTB and the church theme is obviously a bit more complicated basic design to begin with, so instead of even trying to make the dressing of the ramps reach similar depth and accuracy to the whatever type of cathedral it's inspired by, the main focus is at the interaction between the stained glass effect, lights, additional show elements and inflatables and different backdrops. The dressing of the ramps is, indeed, slightly simpler than in the TBOS show, the only three-dimensional prop of any kind being the footings of pillars, but the whole show has almost if not completely seamless visual flow, meaning that most of the backdrops, inflatables etc together with the dressing of the basic stage create a beautiful, "natural" looking visual landscape.

What I'm aiming for is that The Trooper backdrop in between Mayan buildings or space station towers looks much more random than and statue-esque Icarus in between the pillars of the cathedral, against grey, cloudy sky.

Aand, desperately trying to tie this into the Album #17 speculation, it really isn't (in my opinion) quite that big of a challenge for them to make their next show just as interesting. If the cover art and other visual aspects of the album are build around something as concrete as it was with TBOS & Mayans, Powerslave & ancient egypt or even a bit more vague, but still plausible, connection between the imagery of DOD and the eventual stage set, I'd expect them to include more actual "shapes" and" engraved" elements. Or, if it's going to be something more abstract or just more vague or just very open and extensive type of physical environment (7th Son, BNW, VXI, AMOLAD), I'd expect them to try something that elevates from ME/7th Son days, with the focus on creating more of an organic and otherworldy setting that (kind of) instead of serving as a the most suitable landscape for certain kind of songs to fit into (the whole LOTB show, TBOS show+TBOS & Powerslave, World Slavery/SBIT show + Powerslave etc.) actually bends the songs to fit itself. That sounded a bit stupid, perhaps, but you know, it's the thing that I found pretty cool in certain Maiden England backdrops: it was kind of a showcase of Maiden History molded in ice, but that concept, in the end, wasnt' taken quite as far as I'd possibly and speculatively suggest the next Maiden show might do, as a possible solution to the "how to do something different than LOTB, yet almost equally impressing and memorable" issue people have brought up.

Yup I absolutely concur with the majority of the points you brought to the table. IMO LOTB is their best stage ever but in the last years there were others that were almost on the same level.

Hell! The last "meh" stage they pulled out was back in 2005 and it was somehow on purpose (to revamp a bit of that Beast On The Road stage). Dance Of Death was great, A Matter Of Life And Death was excelent, Somewheere Back In Time being a revamping of World Slavery Tour could only turned out to be fanstastic (same goes for Maiden England), The Final Frontier Tour was absolutely gorgeous and The Book Of Souls tour was (imo) their best "tour album" stage set ever along with WST (seems like pyramids do wonders for these guys :p ).

On the other hand AMOLAD and Seventh Tour (and even Dance Of Death) were also very specifical regarding imagery and I would put them on the same category of WST, Somewhere On Tour, The X Factour, TFF, TBOS and all the thematical stages. And you can see a trait here: the last album tour wich stage was really detached from the artwork/ theme was Brave New World (amost 20 years ago we were presented with... scaffolds?????) and since then Maiden's live scenary and build always sticked to the visuals and imaginary each new release brought with it. And imo all of them did it at an high quality standard (at least).

So, taking all this in account, I don't hold the slightest reserve regarding their 17th album stage... it may not be as good as LOTB's but it also will be damn excellent for sure.

Last edited:
This makes me really wonder what they're gonna do with the new album and new songs that Bruce promised.

Well, it seems we do not have to believe what Bruce says (once again).... it's interesting because he said ''new songs very shortly'', if I'm not mistaken and if that ''very shortly'' is 2020 or 2021...:eek:...

They had 10-11 months vacation in between the 1st and the 2nd leg of the current tour. I do not believe that they just gone on holidays during all that big period of time (TBOS album was written and recorded for 3 months!) And Steve have said that at the start of this year they will meet to talk/write/record for the next album.

Last edited:
Well, it seems we do not have to believe what Bruce says (once again).... it's interesting because he said ''new songs very shortly'', if I'm not mistaken and if that ''very shortly'' is 2020 or 2021...:eek:...

They had 10-11 months vacation in between the 1st and the 2nd leg of the current tour. I do not believe that they just gone on holidays during all that big period of time. And Steve have said that at the start of this year they will meet to talk/write/record for the next album.
Bruce Said in that statement they will add in a few extra items so we may get a new song thrown in but I'm disappointed it's not a new album tour, looks like they will flog this tour a little longer

Bruce Said in that statement they will add in a few extra items so we may get a new song thrown in but I'm disappointed it's not a new album tour, looks like they will flog this tour a little longer

They can add one new song (like the case with ''Wildest Dreams'' and ''El Dorado''), but by ''a bunch/shitload of new songs'' I expect a new album.

I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest that the new album will have at least one song that touches on war, perhaps another that broaches the subject of religion, and maybe even one on the subject of hell and/or the afterlife.

If they really want to keep the same LotB show AND introduce new songS, it could easily be managed by adding one into each "world". I would score the likelihood of one new song at 75%, more than one new song at 1%. The dream is real....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back