Iron Maiden studio album 17 rumours and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
The epics up until recently are not too long to me. Rime is a ten/10. That slow part is freakin brilliance. No issue with seventh son either. I knew I always loved it. But hearing/ seeing it live again a few years ago? Really hammered home just how EPIC it is.. all of it.
Now, I’ll agree the red and the black is tooooo looooong. Their is a difference here: it doesn’t stay connected, and you can feel where the fat needed to be trimmed. Still great parts, but not epic, just long. The title track , BOS, feels a little..: “ is this an extended version?” Also. But it is a cohesive heavy killer tune. As for the new album, gotta have an epic, and If this is their last album, we may get the holy grail of Maiden epics....

Last edited:
I will admit there are a few songs that I think are long just for the sake of being long
I strongly agree with this statement, but disagree with the examples you give. The long songs on the 1980s albums were kinda cool, and were kept to a relative minimum, maybe 1 or 2 per album at most. But I think the positive fan reaction to "Rime" and the other so-called "epics" only emboldened 'Arry and the boys to go more "proggy." The bloating has gotten really bad since the 1999 reunion in the last few albums, and the band now seems almost incapable of writing a song under 5 minutes long. My opinion of Book of Souls has grown more negative since its original release, precisely because each and every song on that album is way too long, and "Empire of the Clouds" is absurd.

Imo Empire of the Clouds lacks smth. The intro lasts forever, the outro seems too short.

-smth to add, not smth to cut-

“Empire of the Clouds” is, and I cannot stress this enough, the best song ever written.

I think that the point is that we can all point and prod and find things we don't like with any era of the band, so let's not complain until we have a finished product in our hands.

Funny thing is, the last time I listened to TRATB was in Trieste in 2016...

But still adore TBOS, the song.

“Empire of the Clouds” is, and I cannot stress this enough, the best song ever written.
:facepalm:

Um....no. "Eleanor Rigby" packs more of an emotional wallop into a song that is only two minutes long. ("No one was saved...") Bruce and Steve need to take to take night courses at the Paul McCartney School of Songwriting. Tobias Forge (Ghost) is a recent graduate -- he gets it.

Both are good, but “Empire” is better. It’s not just about emotion, it’s about painting a picture with music. It’s about taking the listener on a journey. It’s about putting you right there on the scene, watching the symbol of British pride take off, watching the crew at their stations, hearing the ignored warning signs, seeing it spiral down into the field, and watching as the world passes it by, unmoved. Beyond the zeppelin itself, it is a story about humans: human might, human power, human ego, human pride, and human failure and tragedy. It needs the 18 minutes to fully flesh it out. It is an epic in every sense of the word. It is a work of art. It is a masterpiece, and I have said it before and will say it again and again and again and again. It is perfection.

It sounds ridiculous, but I know that Robert Fripp of King Crimson reads fans' posts on a certain progressive rock forum. I made some criticisms of the current version of the band, and he re-posted 4 or 5 of my posts on his Facebook page and the KC website and publicly responded (with offense and mockery). I'm not sure anything ever shocked me more in my life! I hope Bruce doesn't do that..
Very much doubt that Bruce is the social media type.

I strongly agree with this statement, but disagree with the examples you give. The long songs on the 1980s albums were kinda cool, and were kept to a relative minimum, maybe 1 or 2 per album at most. But I think the positive fan reaction to "Rime" and the other so-called "epics" only emboldened 'Arry and the boys to go more "proggy." The bloating has gotten really bad since the 1999 reunion in the last few albums, and the band now seems almost incapable of writing a song under 5 minutes long. My opinion of Book of Souls has grown more negative since its original release, precisely because each and every song on that album is way too long, and "Empire of the Clouds" is absurd.

You, Good sir, have hit the nail on the fuckin head.
Most of the reunion era is in my opinion bordering on absurd.
The songs are long and come off as underdeveloped and very bloated, over
coated and meandering- sooooo meandering.

There’s nothing epic about the epics anymore just relentless bore and more.

Nice to read I’m not entirely the limpest pimp to hear this skimpest whimp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back