Iron Maiden studio album 17 rumours and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was trying to make a tongue in cheek point about the futility of wanting the band to do things your way.

I cannot find them. The Dance of Death ones were, as far as I can remember, less structured than those for A Matter of Life and Death. By that time Kevin had been asked by Rod to write the diary, but this was being published - I think - without the content being sanctioned by Smallwood, which was not the case for The Final Frontier.
They are on YouTube - I mean video ones. Sorry if you're talking about something else, I just woke up.

Thanks! Are the Dance of Death ones also online or have I just dreamt they were written by Kevin in the first place?
It's possible:
Change the date at the end of the link and replace may2k6 for jan2k3 when you finnish with january replace jan2k3 for feb2k3, mar2k3…

I like long Maiden songs. I like the feeling of epicness that they bring. But I will admit there are a few songs that I think are long just for the sake of being long, and maybe they should trim those down. For example, Caught Somewhere in Time could have left off the unnecessary intro part - absolutely unneeded. And do they really need the slow interim during Rime of the Ancient Mariner? It just stops the song dead and really, we could go right into the next part without anyone noticing or caring. Finally, the instrumental outro of Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, entirely pointless, it just meanders. Really if they had cut it down to 5 minutes things would have been fine. Pretty good with the stuff in the reunion though, very few songs there that I think length affects.

Blasphemy!

The intro of CSIT is one of the best intros by Maiden.
The calm middle part in ROTAM is magical - a highlight of the song.
The outro of SSOASS is pure greatness.

I like long Maiden songs/epics, but there's too many on the recent albums.

Caught Somewhere in Time:
The intro of Caught somewhere in Time is fuckin' great because it makes you feel that you're going to take a ride trough time in a time machine or spaceship with all that guitar synthethizers. Also it's a sweet and quiet variation before enter the rythym, drums and bass gallop and also it's a variation of the chorus melody. And the cover helps you in that trip.

Rime of the ancient Mariner:
The same happens with the quiet part, it's awesome, I remember the first time I heard it in a non official tape, damn…they are telling me a great story here with all that guitar effects and creepy sounds of a ship, I'm into the story and when the wonderful and epic bass line begins before the storm and the rain and then Bruce scream and begins the rythym again and that guitar solos, shit! but I have to recognize that the second part with the rest of the verses is a bit long and the song ends suddenly.

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son:
All the song is pure greatness from the begining to the end. The structure of the song is practically the same of the Rime of the Ancient Mariner but it's better developed. The second part of the song (the instrumental part) are the crazy solos and melodies that telling you the story musically with all that energy. Take a look at Iron Maiden commentary website. Nobody's explained this song better.

I agree that there are a lot of epic and long songs recently, but it's from since 1995 or maybe 1992.

LC already stated why he wrote it, and then people continue to react. The point is that it's pointless to put expectations on the band, because they will do what they want. You only get to choose if you like it.

LC already stated why he wrote it, and then people continue to react. The point is that it's pointless to put expectations on the band, because they will do what they want. You only get to choose if you like it.

Agreed. Not only that, but people whip themselves up into a frenzy online for months and years beforehand about what they demand from Maiden on a new album and then refuse to even give that album a chance when it's released if their demands are not met. Then they act as if Bruce Dickinson personally called round to their house to say "fuck you we read all you posts on Maiden fans and then did the opposite out of spite".

people whip themselves up into a frenzy online for months and years beforehand about what they demand from Maiden
This is what happened with the Legacy of the Beast setlist too.
Bruce Dickinson personally called round to their house to say "fuck you we read all you posts on Maiden fans and then did the opposite out of spite".
I can totally imagine Bruce saying something to this effect though.

This is what happened with the Legacy of the Beast setlist too.

I can totally imagine Bruce saying something to this effect though.

He said pretty much that on Maiden England about "keyboards in Iron Maiden" telling people to "fuck off and listen to some other shit". I'm on board with that. People are perfectly entitled to dislike keyboards in Maiden or whatever it is they don't like. Just chillax about it. It's not a war crime if Maiden do something you don't like.

The point is, we all have hopes for a new album. The last one did a good job of straddling all our desires and delivered several killer tracks, with a few short tunes too. Let's see what happens before we freak out.

Then they act as if Bruce Dickinson personally called round to their house to say "fuck you we read all you posts on Maiden fans and then did the opposite out of spite".

It sounds ridiculous, but I know that Robert Fripp of King Crimson reads fans' posts on a certain progressive rock forum. I made some criticisms of the current version of the band, and he re-posted 4 or 5 of my posts on his Facebook page and the KC website and publicly responded (with offense and mockery). I'm not sure anything ever shocked me more in my life! I hope Bruce doesn't do that..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back