Iron Maiden studio album 17 rumours and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
So they're having problems selling tickets in the US because of Ozzy and Kiss tours? Weird, I would imagine that in a country so big and with such a huge market it wouldn't be a problem for a band like Iron Maiden.

Although it seems that those two artists are more popular than Maiden in the US. Here in Argentina Maiden plays much bigger venues than those two.
The last time Ozzy came he played for 15.000 people and Maiden usually plays for 50 or 60 thousand when the come around here.

So they're having problems selling tickets in the US because of Ozzy and Kiss tours? Weird, I would imagine that in a country so big and with such a huge market it wouldn't be a problem for a band like Iron Maiden.

Although it seems that those two artists are more popular than Maiden in the US. Here in Argentina Maiden plays much bigger venues than those two.
This summer, Ozzy played one day after Maiden in Florence. And even though I don't have any official stats, I am sure Maiden concert was much more crowded.

This summer, Ozzy played one day after Maiden in Florence. And even though I don't have any official stats, I am sure Maiden concert was much more crowded.

Yes, it seems one of the few places were Ozzy is much more popular is the US.
But again, the US is like a market of its own. General rules in the rest of the world don't seem to apply there.
You have lots of bands that are huge in the US and not in the rest of the world and vice versa.

RLonger’s posts about conflicts and weak ticket sales are becoming really annoying. That’s all he writes about around here.

Maiden are finished @mihai. You've got to accept it and move on.

I accept it (the latest movies with H hunting sharks in the Carribean seas prove that they have closed the store for good...:facepalm:), but I’m still wondering why would you like to troll around this kind of bullshit!?

I'm curious what the next progression would be from BoS. Maybe an album that's just one big ass song? Or 80 minute cd with like 15 hard rocking fast songs and end with a biggun. Maybe a triple CD? Eddie has been everything at this point. What else could he be? Have we had an "Asian" eddie yet? He could be big furry dragon, like Falcor. Ooooh, a concept album based on the Neverending Story featuring Limahl on guest vocals! So many possibilities. One thing is for sure though: when Maiden releases a new album, dozens of people will buy it!

I hope it will be the most straightforward Maiden: shorter songs, relatively little repetition, and more unpredictability.

That would be an antithesis of BoS, which was another great approach to the Maiden sound.

I hope it will be the most straightforward Maiden: shorter songs, relatively little repetition, and more unpredictability.

That would be an antithesis of BoS, which was another great approach to the Maiden sound.
One thing to consider is that for Maiden to do that, it'd have to be a conscious decision. And to my knowledge, they just go with the flow nowadays and don't go in with a plan, so to speak. I'd like to see more shorter songs with vigor, but I think those days are done. Thankfully, BoS has a good balance of fast rockers and Speed of Light/Death or Glory are up there with their 80s classics for me.

I like fast rockers, so I'd like an album full of those, but I'm slightly afraid that since the latest albums have been something completely different, and the boys aren't as young as they used to be, they couldn't find the right vibe anymore. Also, the previous time they decided to "go back to their roots", I'm not sure I'm so happy with the resulting album... :)

I might have expressed my opinion on the matter perhaps too many times, but I like to do it again anyway. :D

I'd say that I position myself on the "middle-ground" here. Speedoflightdeathorglorydifferentworlds are fine and I absolutely love Tears of a Clown, so another quality five-minute hard-rock attempt would be interesting, but I don't see them moving that far from the more meandering approach that has been around for a while; and I'm OK with that. I just hope that the next, assumably their last, studio album is slightly more compact than the last two or three - which I love, but tighter approach would be very refreshing. Two or three 5min "rockers", keeping up with the very decent quality of the previously mentioned examples even if not topping it, healthy dose of distinctive, more or less surprising 5-7 minute songs, following the footsteps of Mother of Mercy, Man of Sorrows, Starblind etc. with something that does not stray unrealistically far from the Maiden world but does sound fresh, different and captivating nonetheless; I'm not saying that all of the mentioned songs are absolute gems, but I hope you get the point of the traits I'm trying to underline. Add one or two more bloated songs that just have to be there and while not everyone is a fan of TBOS, WTWWB, FTGGOG, EOTC and such, I do think that those efforts have generally turned out great, obviously not always perfect, but the magic is there.

What are we left with?

A couple of "unnecessary" chorus repeats or intros or whatever are undoubtedly included and yeah, that one solo by Jan could have been given one or two re-thoughts and it wouldn't have hurt to let the guys rehearse that one song a bit more and perhaps Bruce should have done a couple of re-takes with that one chorus, but... Somehow, they manage to do it again. And this time, in this daydream anyway, the result manages to leave just a tad bit of a hunger after the full listen. Well-paced, neatly packed album with all the familiar traits, take it or leave it and slightly more polished production than what we've now used to and a tad bit less bloated record overall.

Point being that the change doesn't have to be that drastic to make something surprising and fresh. Just a bit different, more compact and "hold-together" approach to both, full album and individual songs and I'd be very happy.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the next album will be shorter than TBOS and that the boys (especially Steve) will try to make more short rockers and 6-7 mins songs.

I expect something like SSoaSS. Why am I saying that? Check all those interviews in 2015-2016ish where Steve and Adrian have said many times things like: "yeah, we don't know, we just go and it ends up like this", "but maybe next time we will try to do something more direct, you never know". They have been asked way too many times about that and the answers suggest, at least for me, that the next album will be shorter and more direct.

Just my feeling, ofc, but it's based on the things they said.

Edit: I'm glad we are discussing about Maiden's new album again on this thread!

I think that playing
on LOTB tour will help them notice that some of their songs tend to be repetive and they will try to avoid repetition in the next album.

Edit : I tried to use the spoiler thing for the name of the song and it doesn't apear on my answer, but I think we all know wich song I am talking about :)

"The legendary British heavy metal band Iron Maiden has announced plans to release a 3cd and 5lp box set consisting of a three hour orchestrated version of the chorus of their hit single "The Angel and the Gambler." Former vocalist Blaze "cheekbeard" Bayley will be providing backing vocals over the album and the album will be produced by Steve "Ionlyhearbass" Harris as previous producer Kevin Shirley will be sitting this one out. This is reported to be Maiden's last album before the band calls it a day, and what a way to go out!"

Dialogue between Rod and Steve about the album cover of Maiden's new album:

Rod: So, what you come up with, Steve ?
Steve: Well, I think we can do Eddie as a footballer with a West Ham kit you know.
Rod: What, are you serious ?
Steve: Totally! We can basically add a football pitch or the West Ham's stadium...
Rod: Wait, you had your chance to do this for Flight 666 or En Vivo! but you chose a picture of the band members, because it was a documentary for the first and rehashed the Rock in Rio cover for the latter.
Steve: Ahhh, you bloody sheriff ! I am the boss !
Rod: Let's ask the rest of the guys.
Bruce: Eddie as a pilot, fencer etc...
Adrian: I want Eddie to be a fisherman.
Dave: I want Eddie to be a golf player or a guitarist.
Janick: I don't care. He's terrifying.
Nicko: Ay, it will be the best we ever done so far, so....
Steve: Hmmmm.... Let's think more about that.
Rod: Ok, but hurry up, because we have to release the album in 2019.
:D

Seriously, if they start writing the album at the end of this month or in March they probably already started thinking about the album cover - but I guess it depends what will be the theme of the title song.

Dialogue between Rod and Steve about the album cover of Maiden's new album:

Rod: So, what you come up with, Steve ?
Steve: Well, I think we can do Eddie as a footballer with a West Ham kit you know.
Rod: What, are you serious ?
Steve: Totally! We can basically add a football pitch or the West Ham's stadium...
Rod: Wait, you had your chance to do this for Flight 666 or En Vivo! but you chose a picture of the band members, because it was a documentary for the first and rehashed the Rock in Rio cover for the latter.
Steve: Ahhh, you bloody sheriff ! I am the boss !
Rod: Let's ask the rest of the guys.
Bruce: Eddie as a pilot, fencer etc...
Adrian: I want Eddie to be a fisherman.
Dave: I want Eddie to be a golf player or a guitarist.
Janick: I don't care. He's terrifying.
Nicko: Ay, it will be the best we ever done so far, so....
Steve: Hmmmm.... Let's think more about that.
Rod: Ok, but hurry up, because we have to release the album in 2019.
:D

Seriously, if they start writing the album at the end of this month or in March they probably already started thinking about the album cover - but I guess it depends what will be the theme of the title song.

Seriously now, the album cover is the last thing they think about..

Later edit: IF they make an album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back