Iron Maiden studio album 17 rumours and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think progressive means something different now than it did in 1986. In 1986 progressive certainly meant tossing in synthesizers and using electronic music, and by that yardstick Somewhere in Time is very progressive. By 2006 - 20 years later - I don't think that's really what it meant anymore. I mean, mainstream metal bands had fully integrated the sound of keyboards, Iron Maiden not being the only one to do so. AMOLAD breaks the mould in different ways, though I hear more classically progressive (and isn't that an oxy-moron) in The Final Frontier than I do AMOLAD.

I believe that progressive in 1986 meant what progressive means since day one: longer, more intricate songs, with lots of themes, odd time signatures, sudden shifts in tempo, etc. From this perspective, there were songs in the 80s a lot more progressive than some of the epics of the reunion era.

That's interesting, because I believe that Starblind is their best post 1988 song.
Aye, I loved it on first listen but the love diminished after that. I wanted them to go prog as fuck after AMOLAD but I just dont think it worked or suited them. After Monstegur I wanted them to go full on heavy too.
They are what they are and straying too far from that maybe isn't ideal (for me). I like that they tried it but for me it isnt where their strength lies. Their strength lies in a certain level of heaviness (could probably go a bit heavier), interesting metallic riffs and, above all, melody. Too heavy or too proggy just takes it away from the core of why I love them but I always want them to expand and push the boundaries. Be careful what you wish for, I suppose.

I think progressive means something different now than it did in 1986. In 1986 progressive certainly meant tossing in synthesizers and using electronic music, and by that yardstick Somewhere in Time is very progressive. By 2006 - 20 years later - I don't think that's really what it meant anymore. I mean, mainstream metal bands had fully integrated the sound of keyboards, Iron Maiden not being the only one to do so. AMOLAD breaks the mould in different ways, though I hear more classically progressive (and isn't that an oxy-moron) in The Final Frontier than I do AMOLAD.
I see what you mean here, but I think AMOLAD is the closest Maiden album to match the classic meaning of progressive. The term progressive rock evolved from "art rock" which was music meant to be listened to rather than entertainment purposes (background music at parties/disposable radio singles etc). When I think of progressive in a Metal context, I'm thinking more about the intention of the music, how much attention is demanded from the listener, and the amount of experimentation.

When Maiden played AMOLAD in its entirety, it wasn't because the album was made for the live stage with singalong choruses and high energy rock tracks. It certainly had some of that, but it was primarily presented in a way that was meant to be listened to attentively all the way through. The Final Frontier was like that too, but there were more straightforward rockers like El Dorado, The Alchemist, and even parts of The Talisman. The Final Frontier is definitely "proggier" with odd time signatures, songs that are longer and more complicated, etc, but it's not as daring as AMOLAD.

Somewhere In Time is more musically complex and technical than what they had done up until that point, but you the casual listener can still ignore a lot of that and just rock out to it. AMOLAD is much less accessible and doesn't really have anything for the casual fans. It's much more of an artistic statement. You could probably put The X Factor in that category too.

The term progressive rock evolved from "art rock" which was music meant to be listened to rather than entertainment purposes (background music at parties/disposable radio singles etc). When I think of progressive in a Metal context, I'm thinking more about the intention of the music, how much attention is demanded from the listener, and the amount of experimentation.
Just curious, do you view some of Buckethead's music as progressive?
Like all the good wans, pish flap
Thanks for clarifying, fuckchops.

Sometimes, mostly his older stuff. The Pikes not so much, even the more experimental ones remind me more of post rock/noise rock.

Do not wear a Iron Maiden t-shirt at a kiss concert

:funnypost: Love it! Especially when Gene mentions how they took Maiden out for their first tour and AC/DC. Those 2 bands eclipsed Kiss a long time ago lol.

Having said that I caught the Kiss show at Londons O2 last summer and they can still deliver a very entertaining stage show and sound pretty decent still after all these years.

Because Steve Harris has often said he does not want to release short formats. And, as his opinion generally matters, one can take for granted that they wont release an EP.

Because Steve Harris has often said he does not want to release short formats. And, as his opinion generally matters, one can take for granted that they wont release an EP.

I can recolect he said it some time ago, but when was the last time? If he said it recently (2-3 years) then I can understand it, but if it's some quote from the 80's or 90's then I don't think that holds water anymore. Maiden have done a lot of things in last 10-15 years that they haven't done before and that weren't expected from them. Also, I know Steve is bull-headed and old fashioned but I also know he can compromise and adjust to the situation. Don't you think there is a small chance of hearing at least one new song on the following tour?
Also, this had nothing to do with the dream I had few months ago about them releasing EP called "The Archivist" in April 2018...

Well, I can't remember when he said it for the last time, but the man does not change his mind that often. One thing I clearly remember is that I asked back in 2016 to his singer in British Lion if they would release an EP with the new songs they already played live, and he answered they would never do that. He didn't mention Harry but he is in charge. I can't see them play a new song out of nowhere: in 2010, the album was ready when they played El Dorado.
As for dreams and predictions, I can remember I had multiple dreams when I was a teenager of me and Kim Basinger doing many things. Unfortunately, they didn't foresee any kind of future.

The fact they don't even release singles to promote new albums nowadays makes them even less likely to release an e.p. now than they were in the past, in my opinion.

Also, if they were to go into a studio to record enough material for an e.p. it doesn't require much more effort to turn that into an album, so I can't see them stopping working after recording an e.p.'s worth of material.

They still release singles ... Speed of Light came out before TBOS .. I bought a CD (with t-shirt) at Best Buy, also a video .... I do however miss the days of a proper single with a B-side

Also El Dorado was released at least digitally ahead of TFF ... trying to remember if the Final Frontier video came out before the album release

They still release singles ... Speed of Light came out before TBOS .. I bought a CD (with t-shirt) at Best Buy, also a video .... I do however miss the days of a proper single with a B-side

Also El Dorado was released at least digitally ahead of TFF ... trying to remember if the Final Frontier video came out before the album release

There was a video for TFF and a promo, there was also promo's for El Dorado and Coming Home.

But I meant a proper physical release, as this would by comparable to an e.p. in terms of it costing money for the physical product to be produced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back