Iron Maiden studio album 17 rumours and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
On topic, I'd like to see songs of shorter length for a change; I'd prefer for the new album to have e.g. 5-6 short songs (3'-4') and 2-3 longer ones (>7'). The Book Of Souls, albeit a pretty good album, can get tiring and repetitive over time.

That sounds like the 80s formula. Don’t think they’ll go back to that. The intros and outros alone of each song take up about 5 minutes now.

That sounds like the 80s formula. Don’t think they’ll go back to that. The intros and outros alone of each song take up about 5 minutes now.
Well I personally believe their 80's era was their best so that's why I'd like for them to go back to that formula. Don't get me wrong; their post-reunion stuff is pretty damn good too.

Well I personally believe their 80's era was their best so that's why I'd like for them to go back to that formula. Don't get me wrong; their post-reunion stuff is pretty damn good too.

The albums keep getting longer, though. Maybe Steve will decide again to go back to basics. In any case, I hope we get something, sometime. I don't yet have enough Maiden music in my life.

Maybe they'll made something like NOFTD in terms of simplicity because TBOS is their maximum point on their progressive career

the only way left for maiden to go is a massive concept album spanning 3 discs lol.

Seriously though I never really view seventh son as a concept album. It just feels like a collection of great songs tied together loosely by a theme. Maiden should go the whole hog a do a proper concept album next a la Judas Priest and Nostradamus. Never understood why that album gets so much shit from Priest fans. It has some great tunes and some of Robs finest vocals.

Sure, Maiden need to do an album telling some cheesy story with plenty of keyboard interludes, chorus reprises and guest musicians providing Eddie's voice building to dramatic crescendos. So original.

Nostradamus is not that bad album, but not that great either ! 23 songs, really o_O(and some of them are 1-2 minutes long - they easily can add them as an intro to the songs instead to be another songs) ! If it was cut to half then it would be good ! SSOASS is far better than Nostradamus and Maiden are better than Judas Priest !

the only way left for maiden to go is a massive concept album spanning 3 discs lol.

Seriously though I never really view seventh son as a concept album. It just feels like a collection of great songs tied together loosely by a theme. Maiden should go the whole hog a do a proper concept album next a la Judas Priest and Nostradamus. Never understood why that album gets so much shit from Priest fans. It has some great tunes and some of Robs finest vocals.
This is not what I would like AT ALL! ;) I am rather looking forward to something very direct (à la Killers and NPFTD/FOTD/VXI in their best aspects)... but that is wishful thinking: a short, efficient song is much more difficult to compose and write lyrics for than 75% of "epics" (and Maiden exemplifies it well).

Sure, Maiden need to do an album telling some cheesy story with plenty of keyboard interludes, chorus reprises and guest musicians providing Eddie's voice building to dramatic crescendos. So original.
Provided they renamed themselves "Ironic Maiden" of course. ;)
Here comes another worshipper of The Astonishing... or not!

Last edited:
It is a bit strange to me that people see AMOLAD or any of the latest albums as progressive. I mean we all forget The Somewhere in time album!!!! That was IMO their best progressive effort. I can't see how any of their albums after Bruce's return can be called progressive just because there are some instrumental passages.....that most of the times just have nothing to do with the rest of the song. Also IMO just because a song is long is not necessarily an "epic". E.g. I think that Deja vu has a much more epic feeling than ......FTGGOG that just has some nice passages during the solos.

I think progressive means something different now than it did in 1986. In 1986 progressive certainly meant tossing in synthesizers and using electronic music, and by that yardstick Somewhere in Time is very progressive. By 2006 - 20 years later - I don't think that's really what it meant anymore. I mean, mainstream metal bands had fully integrated the sound of keyboards, Iron Maiden not being the only one to do so. AMOLAD breaks the mould in different ways, though I hear more classically progressive (and isn't that an oxy-moron) in The Final Frontier than I do AMOLAD.

It is a bit strange to me that people see AMOLAD or any of the latest albums as progressive. I mean we all forget The Somewhere in time album!!!! That was IMO their best progressive effort. I can't see how any of their albums after Bruce's return can be called progressive just because there are some instrumental passages.....that most of the times just have nothing to do with the rest of the song. Also IMO just because a song is long is not necessarily an "epic". E.g. I think that Deja vu has a much more epic feeling than ......FTGGOG that just has some nice passages during the solos.

I agree. I was thinking of AMOLAD in the context of their post 2000 efforts.

But that is true, on the 80s records there are some truly progressive songs, with a plethora of themes that come and go during a lot less time span that on post 2000s longer stuff.

I think that when we talk progressive with Maiden its a relative term. Progresive in relation to their own catalogue, I mean. As a whole, AMOLAD has a darker, more proggy feel with some genuinely proggy moments like Lord of Light and The Legacy. The X Factor is also dark but has less of a prog feel but theres still The Unbeliever. I agree with LC on TFF though. Proggy in a different way but Id say more progressive than AMOLAD. Not as good, though, IMO. Starblind is their most progressive soundin song to me but I dont think it works too well, the whole is not equal to the sum of its parts, or something. Same with Avalon, IMO.

I agree that in TFF there are some genuine progressive parts. E.g. the mid section of Avalon and the main parts of Starblind. However Starblind features some of Nicko's worst drumming IMO and the start and finish parts of Avalon are too repetitive, bland and unnecessary.
As for SIT, I think that apart from the excessive use of the guitar synths the structures of some of the songs are quite a bit progressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back