Iron Maiden studio album 17 rumours and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Mother Russia also has the long quiet middle section that was in Seventh Son and Rime, as well as the extended intro. Anyway the best term I can use to describe that song is “identity crisis”. Either Steve had this epic in him and didn’t want to flesh it out because of the albums stripped down direction, or he felt obligated to write an epic like track. Either way it comes off as contrived and is one of the most forced songs in the catalog.

As for why they never played it live, I’m guessing it just didn’t fit the vibe of the set. It was very heavy on No Prayer songs and rockers from the first three albums (lots of NOTB ). The band’s proggy side was almost ignored completely.

Well Mother Russia also has the long quiet middle section that was in Seventh Son and Rime, as well as the extended intro. Anyway the best term I can use to describe that song is “identity crisis”. Either Steve had this epic in him and didn’t want to flesh it out because of the albums stripped down direction, or he felt obligated to write an epic like track. Either way it comes off as contrived and is one of the most forced songs in the catalog.

As for why they never played it live, I’m guessing it just didn’t fit the vibe of the set. It was very heavy on No Prayer songs and rockers from the first three albums (lots of NOTB ). The band’s proggy side was almost ignored completely.

I like the instrumental part and the solos on Mother Russia a lot ! It's a great song, and a good one to finish the album !!! ;)

RE: lyrics to AOI

It's not so much that I politically disagree with them, it's that they're are a really dumb expression of those sentiments. I disagree politically with some of Rush's lyrics a lot more but at least they are formulated as coherent thoughts.

Spot on mate, spot on.

More merchandise to purchase. Maiden must be thinking "Who needs a new album when you can buy toys and beer?"

I don't wont to say that Maiden are lazy, but I remembered that the Speed of Light single don't have a proper cover, it is just TBOS cover with very darkly image and the SOL title was added ! :(

Your stupid conservative-liberal binary code has no meaning to people not living in the US.

Exactly. 100% correct. And to take it a step further, it's not even a case of the lyrics taking sides: the band has written songs from many perspectives.
Representing first person accounts of subjects spanning ages, realms, universes' dimensions! Etc.. It's not Steve shoving anything down anyone's throats. Ridiculous notion. The only "idiot" -ic facet of this conversation is those so immesresed in their own "hurray for our side" BS that they drag it into an Iron Maiden song forum.. The lyrics fit the song. The song is great, the lyrics are fine, no agenda. And no name calling. Peace

I don't think that anyone hates the lyrics because they're "conservative" (which is a nonsense term when it comes to this). I dislike them because the music sounds so happy, but the lyrical content is dark. Neither are inspired enough to make it seem like an interesting attempt at deconstruction, it just seems offbeat and odd. The content are ones I don't particularly agree with, but you can say the same about the lyrics to Prowler, but I still really really like that song.

I don't think that anyone hates the lyrics because they're "conservative" (which is a nonsense term when it comes to this). I dislike them because the music sounds so happy, but the lyrical content is dark. Neither are inspired enough to make it seem like an interesting attempt at deconstruction, it just seems offbeat and odd. The content are ones I don't particularly agree with, but you can say the same about the lyrics to Prowler, but I still really really like that song.

Okay. I'll let it go. But we have to argue about something while we wait years for the next album..

Let's kindly remember to stay closer to the topic...
Iron Maiden studio album 17 rumours and speculations
:rolleyes:

The difference being, obviously, that we're watching Minions, which is considerably more mature entertainment than watching people fight over politics.

On topic, I'd like to see songs of shorter length for a change; I'd prefer for the new album to have e.g. 5-6 short songs (3'-4') and 2-3 longer ones (>7'). The Book Of Souls, albeit a pretty good album, can get tiring and repetitive over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back