Iron Maiden studio album 17 rumours and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, BNW and TBOS are peaks of KS's work with Maiden... AMLOAD is close 3rd, but could've been better...

TBOS suffers from rushing to record / fuck it it's played okayish syndrome, but the production is great.

The less said about DOD's production, the better...

IMO, BNW and TBOS are peaks of KS's work with Maiden... AMLOAD is close 3rd, but could've been better...

TBOS suffers from rushing to record / fuck it it's played okayish syndrome, but the production is great.

The less said about DOD's production, the better...

The main problem with Dance of Death is the mastering.

BNW sounds really good.
DOD isn't bad but less aggressive limiting during mastering would have helped alot. Sounds pretty squashed.
AMOLAD would have been awesome with the vocals a bit louder and a bit of eq work in mastering.
TFF again needs an eq tweak in mastering but isn't bad otherwise. A couple of vocal lines should have been redone though.
TBOS suffers from quite a few bits of rushed recording, (bad guitar squeak after the solo in SOL, Bruce clearly struggling on some vocal lines, and a few transitions that really should have been worked on) and again could have done with a bit of eq work. Also the toms are WAY overly boxy, loads of excess mids that should have been reigned in during the mixing stage.

If you're looking for EQ settings then a cut in the low mids (around 500hz) and a bit of boost in the bass (100hz down) and treble (10kHz up) regions really help these albums out.

All that said I still prefer the overall sound of the KS era records to the 80's stuff, which sounds a bit thin and dated in comparison. And they all sound far better than FOTD/TXF/VXI which all sound truly AWFUL regardless of what you think of the actual songs.

BNW sounds really good.
DOD isn't bad but less aggressive limiting during mastering would have helped alot. Sounds pretty squashed.
AMOLAD would have been awesome with the vocals a bit louder and a bit of eq work in mastering.
TFF again needs an eq tweak in mastering but isn't bad otherwise. A couple of vocal lines should have been redone though.
TBOS suffers from quite a few bits of rushed recording, (bad guitar squeak after the solo in SOL, Bruce clearly struggling on some vocal lines, and a few transitions that really should have been worked on) and again could have done with a bit of eq work. Also the toms are WAY overly boxy, loads of excess mids that should have been reigned in during the mixing stage.

If you're looking for EQ settings then a cut in the low mids (around 500hz) and a bit of boost in the bass (100hz down) and treble (10kHz up) regions really help these albums out.

All that said I still prefer the overall sound of the KS era records to the 80's stuff, which sounds a bit thin and dated in comparison. And they all sound far better than FOTD/TXF/VXI which all sound truly AWFUL regardless of what you think of the actual songs.

Well, AMLOAD isn't mastered at all...

Well, AMLOAD isn't mastered at all...
Though "AMOLAD wasn't mastered" was the marketing line the band went with, it's probably more accurate to say that it wasn't sent away for exteral mastering.

In reality it's likely been faux-mastered by KS, as there's clearly SOME overall compression & limiting happening, otherwise the CD would be VERY quiet (moreso than it already is)

Most producers will do this when sending mixes to the band for approval just so that it's sitting close to commercial volume, and then when sending the mix out for mastering they'll remove that processing to give the mastering engineer room to work (unless you're Metallica on Death Magnetic, who sent the M.E. mixes that were already absolutely destroyed!) and it seems in AMOLAD's case Steve liked what he was hearing, and after being burned by the awful master job on DOD decided to just run with the mixes Kevin had sent them.

BNW sounds really good.

I agree with most of what you have posted here, although I still prefer the production of the Maiden albums from 1982 to 1984 and 1988 to the most recent ones.

On a related note, I think AMOLAD sounds great as it is.

AMOLAD is tied with Mastodon's Crack The Skye for my favourite album of all time, that being said I feel like the live version played on the Stockholm bootleg is superior to the album version. The little live-isms here and there that they do after they've had some time with material always enhance what's on the album.

AMOLAD is tied with Mastodon's Crack The Skye for my favourite album of all time, that being said I feel like the live version played on the Stockholm bootleg is superior to the album version. The little live-isms here and there that they do after they've had some time with material always enhance what's on the album.
The Stockholm show definitely has some great moments - but in general I feel they played all the AMOLAD material way too fast live. The dark, pensive nature of the album was a bit lost at those breakneck speeds, especially on mid tempo tunes like Longest Day and Breeg.

Steve not giving Anything away when being asked about a new album

Do you foresee another new Iron Maiden studio album?
"We talked about it fairly recently and Bruce [Dickinson, vocals] was saying to me, 'How many albums do you wanna do?', and I said, 'Well, it's up to all of us.' But I think everyone's keen to do more stuff, so I'm sure there will be more albums in the future."

The Stockholm show definitely has some great moments - but in general I feel they played all the AMOLAD material way too fast live. The dark, pensive nature of the album was a bit lost at those breakneck speeds, especially on mid tempo tunes like Longest Day and Breeg.
I agree. I prefer live versions of pretty much every Maiden song except AMOLAD. I know we dont have a full, official release but I do think that the increased tempo is a negative, in a few cases. This is why Im not bothered that they didnt release anything.

I agree. I prefer live versions of pretty much every Maiden song except AMOLAD. I know we dont have a full, official release but I do think that the increased tempo is a negative, in a few cases. This is why Im not bothered that they didnt release anything.
Given how much more conservative they're being with live tempos these days, I think this means we need an AMOLAD 15th anniversary world tour in 2021 so they can do things properly :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back